Lovingly restoring the worst bike I've ever ridden.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Mullet5, Sep 7, 2010.

1. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Correction; A lot of money and a little time...:lol3....Ahhh, we all love our personal money pits:clap
  2. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't be that expensive to turn another steering neck and get it welded on.
  3. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball

Oddometer:
    When I have a bent motorcycle frame (there have been a few:huh), I use the services of this frame shop (see link), the neck repair/replacement is a piece of cake for this place. Its not cheap but it will come back straight and true.

http://www.drjohnsmfs.com/index.shtml

: Mike
  4. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    I'm thinking that I know welders that could do that in their backyard....
  5. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. When we built dad's trike, we tacked everything together in our homebuilt "Jig", but since the wall diameter on the frame tubing was 3/8", we had a welder come finish up. Was very reasonable.
  6. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    WHEEEEEE This is great work, mulletman.
  7. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prayer and vitamins could'nt hurt either.:wink: Good luck.
  8. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoa, things are definitely happening. I am at Motolab right now. There are many things happening, the vast majority of which I am not capable of doing myself. for example, I cannot make computer models of motorcycle parts, nor can I turn said models into parts. So kind of uhh... I'm here to take pictures, nod and act like I'm definitely totally understanding what is being explained to me. I'm like a labrador with a camera.

Also: my computer had some kind of mental breakdown followed by pooping its drawers, so I will be making all of my posts with my Android for a few days. Please excuse any Swype related anomalies.

9. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hooray!

That drawring looks lots more rounder than what you're currently sportin'.

(And I don't think that I'll ever tire of seeing that snowy shop of yours.)

:clap:clap:clap
  10. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are the second person in the last hour to bring up my christmas-y shop. I still have one 15lb bag of baking soda if anybody wants to buy it from me. All proceeds will go straight to the Minsk. No, really this is a great idea... Everybody start bidding on this authentic bag of Disaster Maker. Now you too can simultaneously destroy your reputation AND garage, just like that nimrod on ADV! I can see it now, every cool ADVer will have a little pouch of baking soda in his panniers for good luck. Happy bidding!
  11. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you know that your snow-globe of a shop is just so darn funny because it reminds me of the times when I tried to do right but got it all wrong. A silly example is when I primed a fairing in my apartment, got primer over everything and ruined my favorite Tom Waits album :cry that was playing on the turntable. On the other end of the spectrum is a time when I flooded the basement of an apartment complex back flushing the swimming pool filters (and left to get lunch :eek1).

Ask my dad and he'll give you three dozen more stories of my idiocy.

You were doing everything right (trying to not get soda dust on your neighbor's house/yard) but it turned out all wrong. It's universal. We've all done it a million times (but you have the best pics :D).

I heart your thread.
  12. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    I started following this thread because of the mechanics, and funny times of rebuilding such a beast of a bike... I have some old stuff to work on myself, and these things give me knowledge and motivation.

Now I partially feel obligated to see it through for probably the worst 1 line suggestion in your garage's history :lurk
  13. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back at it! That's two days in a row! I should have my new computer some time in the next couple of days, then I will go back and re write all of this and embed the pictures. We have the dog bone in place now and are about to heat it up and beat it back into place!
  14. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! :clap
  15. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am finally with computer again, so now I can actually tell people what we have been up to.

Everybody remembers this horror show, right? This was the bottom of the neck.
    [​IMG]

So Derek came up with this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically a two piece dog bone/barbell shaped piece. Insert the larger end into the neck, then put the smaller end into the other end of the neck and bolt them together. This ensures that both ends of the neck are in alignment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gratuitous Tejava shot
    [​IMG]

Ta DA!
    [​IMG]

Doing a test fit of the dog bone
    [​IMG]

After the test fit we took it back out to weld up the many gaping cracks in the neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up with this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then put it back in, heat it up and start beating the hell out of it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up with this
    [​IMG]
  16. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So of course, after the first round of blacksmithing the neck into shape, we ended up with a few smaller cracks, so we basically repeated the last few steps. Remove dog bone, weld cracks, replace dog bone, pound on things with a hammer.

Once this was done, Derek laid a bead of weld around the circumferences of the top and bottom of the neck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derek wants the bearing cups to be a light press fit, but when we did a test fit they just dropped right in and kind of rattled around a bit, but a hell of a lot better than what we started with. At this point I would have just shrugged, said "meh" to no one in particular and moved to the next step. I shared my enlightened point of view with Derek, but I think he probably just wished I would shut up.

He rigged this up to check how much play there was. Why don't I have tools like this?
    [​IMG]

There was 0.003" of play, so he put the dog bone back on the lathe and took 0.004" off of it.
    [​IMG]

Then more heating and hammering...

Back at Motolab now, I think we might finish the neck up tonight!
  17. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So here it is, ready for bearings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressing in the old races as a test, not actually going to use these.
    [​IMG]

They fit, and they don't rattle around or anything!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derek would like to point out that he was not the Artiste that did the grinding on the neck. Yup, all me...
    [​IMG]

Hell yes! things are happening!
  18. MattW

MattW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job!

You and your skilled buddy are lavishing more time and attention on your fine steed than some people might think worthwhile - but some of us understand :evil
  19. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Shows what can be done with the right tools and a little imagination. I would've cut the whole neck off and fabbed up a new one but this seems like a good fix as well.

Carry on. :thumb
  20. 736cc

736cc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can jump thru hoops, bend over backwards, make 40 trips to dmv, much money spent trying to title them OR you can simply slap a plate on them from another currently registered motorcycle. I mean, you ain't gonna get pulled-over for speeding on them. I've never had my frame numbers checked by a cop in 40 years of riding.
    Other option is cut the steering neck off a titled bike and weld it on the ruskie bike.