Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My pyn susp was a remove/replace situation Other than the rear mudguard. Front brake lines needed lengthening and my GPR headers need a small mod but that's it. Oh and my new platform boots :lol3
  2. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about this and think I might have a solution (I hope).

Being that this is an electrical device, there has to be power going to it. So, pull out a multimeter and test all the connections in the plug from the harness side, with the bike ignition on, to find out which ones are "hot". Then go to the immobiliser and test the same connections to see if there is something wrong with the immobiliser itself.

Everything I'm reading is saying that you have to activate the immobiliser and to do that you do the orange key 5 times thing. Beyond that I'm wondering if the immobiliser is simply not working. It should be a plug and play time item.

Think this would work?
  3. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Katoom 119:
    I will be trying to see if i can read some power from the wiring connecting the immobiliser. The reset configuration is a little weird. I have done it before and got nothing from it. Though there isn´t stated any methods in the manual reagarding resetting.

I wrote to some KTM dealers and an answer showed up today:
    quote start:
    Dear Mikael!

Did you put the software on the keys?
    You local dealer can do that with the original ktm software tools.

Kind reguards

Christoph Hauthaler
    Quote end:

We will see if this give some feedback.

out
  4. izom

izom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ha-yes- this is gonna be the REAL 1190 adventure!! :clap

with MAN suspension!!!

cmon- maybe youre faster then KTM bring the beast alive BEFORE march 2013 !!?? :D
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well maybe it will be a loud christmas this year. I´ve found out that i may need a part(no shit).

All these faults about my immobiliser isn´t activated is possibly because of my lack of depth knowledge. I was surfing the ebay for parts and struck upon this:
    [​IMG]

I looked at the picture and was aware that the part in the top left corner with the grey wiring wasn´t in my bag. hmmm
    Further investigation would tell me that it was the part nr 14 6111102000 Starter interlock(antenna).
    This could my remedy for a real christmas.

Part is ordered and time to wait.

Mikael
  6. jimmibanke

jimmibanke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uhlala sounds promising:D i'll stik my ears out the window and wait for the WROOOOOOMM from your garage:ear
  7. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed for you.
  8. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    thats not an antanna! thats the starter interlock box, it connects to stuff like the clutch and sidestand switch and desides if it's safe to start etc. I have 1 or 2 working units left over if you can cancell the ordered part still. will go for peanuts if your interrested!
    Make sure that you have the right contact lock and the key antenna ring that fits around the lock though! you need that to communicate with your digital key's.
  9. roookie1

roookie1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, me too :evil
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    And i agree 100% but i didn´t knew that it was a part of this machine. But sound liable and thanks for the offer but patience weren´t my strong side when i found the (maybe) holy grail.
    It should be the right ignition lock and keys, all the parts were bought together from new(ouch $).

I do not remember when i said that the bike had flashed me with the MAP sensor fault. But it has and i got my head out of my ass and found out that this engine don´t run 2 MAP sensor. I´ve always thought that a twin had 2 MAP sensors. But hey, I had a closer look in the parts manual and it showed that they only were sold 3 at a time...hmmm. I had one lying around, it fitted one of the empty plugs. :freaky
    [​IMG]

I went for the tune ECU to tell me if the ECU had the same thoughts.
    [​IMG]

After resetting error codes.
    [​IMG]

Ahhhh. I´m a mastermind. Or like the old danish saying: Fuck yeah.
    [​IMG]

Away with SAI and O2 since its scrapped anyway.
    [​IMG]

Well if i´m lucky and Murphy let me go(which he don´t). I should have a good chance of a running engine when the starter interlock arrives. Though an engine needs fuel...so made op this test configuration.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes i still have second thoughts about running the facet at that place and even thinking about going for the 990 EFI fuel pump. Those damn smart safaritanks tugs it away in the tank. But i´m not aware how faulty that is and that is the 990 efi fuel pump. I assume its mitshubishi again. I can always run the Facet as an replacement.

[​IMG]

Next stop was my exhaust from the rear cylinder. The unbreakable sidestand relocater is in the way for routing my exhaust through the swingarm hole and out to the right side.
    [​IMG]

What would you guys think regarding strength, if i cut away the right part. It seems sturdy. I could reinforce the left one for the extra capacity. Give me your thoughts.

For the Danes:
    Jimmi og Paw. Hvis det her pis dur, så bliver det sindsygt. I kigger jo bare forbi hvis i vil. Der er kolde bajer i værkstedet...eller alt er fanme koldt derude.

One last thing. The bike is jacked up but no more than only keeping balance. Rear tire is beyond done. Still...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks. :freaky:clap:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:freaky:D

out
  11. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude! I can't wait for this thing to run!!!

G
  12. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Wow. 102 cm is a 40" seat height. My 660 rally and 04 'S' 950 had about a 36" seat height (91 cm). I hope you're tall!!!!!
  13. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    That fuel pump in that location has me worried. I don't know how much heat the headers put out but it'd be shitty if you were out riding it and the bike was engulfed in a fireball.

The fuel pump in the Safari tanks would be the way I'd go. Works well and gets the fuel pump away from a possible ignition source.
  14. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I completely understand your thoughts about the fuel pump location. Fireball is not my worries, but the vaporlock it can create. My old 950 had the fuel in the right tank boil once or twice. The front header goes right by. No matter what I still got eyes on this.
  15. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the FI pump in the system somewhere? I'm not sure if I understand what you're doing, but the facet won't provide enough pressure to get fuel atomized at the injectors, it only works as a transfer pump or to get fuel to carb float bowls.
  16. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this looks a lot like a low pressure pump that will only work with a carburator. You will need a pump that puts out 3.5 Bar + and a pressure regulator that will keer a constant (high) pressure to the injector rail. Find an old broken 990 pump and replace the motor with a new, better one. Install a large intank filter sock on it and put the fine filter outside on the line. That way you'll never have to worry about the FI pump again.

Not a single FI fault!! That sure looks like a LOT of noise in your shop when the part arrives!!!

To bad for me, i was looking forward to some macadamians or cashew peanuts :lol3
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    uhhh...you see problems before i get to them. Nice.

Hmm...maybe the pump from the RC8 would be enough, it may even fit the safaris.

Edit:

Just checked with the parts microfiche. They look very much the same 990 efi pump vs 1190 pump.
  18. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you have the 1190 pump, perfect! that fits right in your safary tanks. same pump as the 990's!
  19. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Here is microfiche view.

990 efi
    [​IMG]

1190 RC8R
    [​IMG]

BUT sheees the price from new is insane...
    4,600.00 SEK = 688.953 USD

wow. Ebay here we come.
  20. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    There are some threads around here about people switching to an external FI pump, I think CJ was looking into making an adapter plate for the tanks that have a FI pump hole. There are adjustable pressure regulators that may let you use a FI pump from another vehicle on the KTM. But yeah, the simple solution is to use a LC8/RC8 fuel pump in there, and I'm guessing they'll be fairly pricey on ebay, since there are plenty of people that want a spare.