Dual Sport Trailer assembly thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by SouthWest Roamer, Jan 13, 2006.

1. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good R80rt!
  2. oldNbold

oldNbold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty low slung. Built in skid bars? to get over tall rocks and curbs. Doesnt look too bad. I hope to build a trailer this winter for myself.
  3. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work r80rt!

You mentioned cutting the front at 45deg, that would be a great solution to being low to the ground. That or add some rounded "skis" in the front like a snow sled might have. Just to get you up over obstacles rather than smacking them straight on.

You'll be able to haul more weight with it lower to the ground. A single wheel trailer is a lot like a hammock. You want the weight below the axles of the wheels if possible. If the center of mass is above the axles, the trailer wants to flop side to side. In theory, the taller the trailer wheel the better, it allows the load to be higher off of the ground.
  4. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Your Moto-Mule inspired me to build a trailer ya know. I really appreciate all the tips and advice you've given to us home builders.
    I've just loaded it up and tested it through much rougher ground and bad roads than I ever intend to use it on, and it worked perfectly. I still may 45 the front corners but for now I can't see a reason to. It'll be used on dirt roads, but not off road, so I should be fine. Thanks again for the inspiration!:clap
  5. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have 8 1/2" of ground clearance and two full length runners on the bottom. I'll only use it on dirt roads so I doubt I'll never hit the ground with it. Good luck on your build and post pic's!
  6. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Nice work.

Kudos to Bracketdood for sharing some of his hard-earned R&D.
  7. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    Thank you Lizrdbrth, and yes kudo's to MrBracket for all the excellent advice :clap
    Those other pictures are a little deceptive because of the angle, the trailer isn't as low slung as it looks in them. Here are a couple with the bike propped up almost level with a loaded trailer. I put a a coffee can under it for perspective.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another look, this time it's on the sidestand and loaded.
    [​IMG]
  8. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Nice!!! :clap
  9. oldNbold

oldNbold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These last pics show the ground clearance much better. Looks like there is plenty. And honestly if it is little low it should be easy to drag over a high spot. Nice.
  10. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    We got out today and took the trailer back through the washed out deserted roads for further testing. My riding partner and trailer builder OldBrattrider was the camera man, and I am the test pilot. The video doesn't really show how steep, rough and rocky it is, but you'll get some idea. This little trailer will follow me any where!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqEiU-ClOEI
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I didn't see you load the beer & ice....? :freakyYou sure went to a lot of time & effort building that sweet trail trailer for just hauling a little camping gear.

Have you experimented with seeing what's a comfortable load capacity ?

Good job. Wish I had one.
  12. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    No beer on that ride, well maybe a little when we got home... My camping gear and fuel weigh in at 30lbs, I don't think I'd want to carry a lot more than that, maybe 50lbs would be max for me.
  13. Curtis in Texas

Curtis in Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nicely done video. Looks like you've built another winner.
    I'm thinbking 80 lbs will be my max weight on my trailer because of the shock spring. The frame and suspension will handle more but I'm not wanting ton try and stop too much weight. Remembering my other trailer I built years ago and the braking problems it created behind my Suzuki GS 750.

Yours looks like it belongs back there. The optional bare cargo rack is a nice touch because it gives you the option of dropping the Action Packer at camp and foraging for firewood.

I have a set of panniers built for my little trailer, but the width will be a problem on the trails. And I've got monster panniers on my KLR already.
    So I really don't need more space!

I'm planning on riding up your way through Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky on the way to North Carolina next month, so if you see me rolling by, be sure to flag me down. Not going to be in a hurry, so I'll have time to stop and say hi!
  14. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    PM your route, I'm near Hardy Arkansas 18 miles south of the Missouri state line, If you get close we'll meet up.
  15. Curtis in Texas

Curtis in Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Route??? You speak of a Route like I have a plan. Obviously you've not ridden with me before when I have lots of time to explore. :D

Being retired has it's advantages!

I looked on the Garmin map and Hardy looks interesting. Lots of twisty roads in and out. I'll PM you my date of departure and what week to expect me to come through you neck of the woods. As the time gets closer I can give you a more definite day to look for me. And I'll give you my cell # so if you have an interesting event happening near you I should check out I can plan on making it. I fly by the seat of my pants on rides like these. No real destination other than want to ride the Dragon again and my wife will be in Pinehurst NC for the month and I'll be dropping by to see how she's doing before heading home pretty much the same way.

Some of my best discoveries have been found this way. I love to make Festivals and such. My wife and I once found Meramec Caves this way. We liked it so much we stayed a week and just floated the river every day in the kayak. (Motorhome Adventure)

If my Bud with the Ural comes you know we won't be wearing out the Interstate!
  16. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    Well, my area has some fair roads but nothing to write home about, nothing much going on around here either. If you travel through Arkansas I strongly suggest the northwest part of the state, it's impossible to find a bad road there. I've ridden all over the states and that's my farvorite place to ride:clap
  17. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started building mine today, a one wheel version similar to the moto-mule. Designing the hitch to fit a klx250, ninja1400, and a dyna street bob. Pictures coming tomorrow, I forgot to take them.

Anyone pull a one wheel with a V-strom? I have every bike I own figured out except the strom. Axle hole is a touch under 3/8". I'm using a 7/16" bolt for the other bikes. Not sure if I'd be ok with drilling the axle to 3/8 then using that size bolt or not. Seems like I'd be pushing it and asking for a failure. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
  18. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    Look at these trailer http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/
  19. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used to have a v-strom, and was considering a single wheel trailer for it too, so I spent time looking the strom over for ideas. Here's one to consider: bypass the swing arm, and hook to the peg area (don't remember if it was the rider or passenger pegs that looked like the perfect spot, but you can tell by looking.

You'll need to build a long Y to straddle the rear wheel and swing arm, and modify the trailer hitch a little, but none of that will be very difficult for you. I think it should pull great hooked up by the pegs, and on the V-strom, it looks like it was made just for it.
  20. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made a hitch like boatpuller suggests, tied into both sets of pegs and the muffler mounts, too. As a bonus, I lowered the peg position as well in the process.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895385

Maybe you could tap both ends of the axle hole and use a bolt from each side rather than a thru-bolt on your vstrom. It might preserve some wall thickness compared to drilling the hole bigger.