How'd you find this joint, anyway?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by SkiFastBadly, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Gitana

Gitana A work in progress

Oddometer:
    I finished cancer treatment and realized I needed to be having more fun. So I took the MSF course and bought a Harley Heritage Softail. Say what you will about Harley's, but I loved that bike. I rode it all over creation, but kept seeing roads I couldn't go down. I did take it on gravel roads that I had no business being on, but finally realized I needed something else. I bought a Buell Ulysses. It was (a) too tall, and (b) left me by the side of the road three times in the space of two months. And the last time was the last straw since the ECM was back-ordered for six weeks. Bye, bye, Buell. Then I bought a Vstrom and joined Stromtroopers. Which led me here. Which led me to a WR250R.

This place is an amazing community. People are kind and supportive. I've learned a ton about working on bikes. The photography is jaw-dropping at times. The ride reports help me dream of adventures I may never get to take, then again I might. I've made a lot of friends through here. Met my SO through here.
  2. LuluOfDenver

LuluOfDenver The peanut gallery.

Oddometer:
    The back of Motorcycle Consumer News lists events, and I showed up at the RMAR Rendezvous in Silverton, having almost no experience in off-pavement riding. Had a blast, but kept getting asked what my ADV Rider handle was. Got tired of explaining that I had no idea what people were talking about, so I checked it out and have been addicted ever since. :D
  3. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was looking at something for my 990 adv, in th OC. I find it really interesting, different opinions from all around the world, a great site!
  4. bbagwell

bbagwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend told me about it. I had just got my first bike, Yamaha TW200.
  5. Wild Pig

Wild Pig Looks like avatar.

Oddometer:
    Listening to someone on another bike forum constantly complain about this place. Said it was full of idiots, perverts, and blasphemers. Sounded like my kind of people so I came right over and for the last few years ADV, and especially JM, has taught me everything I ever wanted to know about anything.

:rofl
  6. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sold some gun parts off another forum, guy turned out to live about a mile from me, be one of my customers, adn a fellow rider who told me about this site. Small world. I've changed jobs and he's still one of my customers, and a great guy.
    Hi Travis!

He didn't tell me that part, but he did tell me about the HOW, and while I had my 990 it was a valuable resource.

Oh, and Happy New Year to all you FFs! :freaky

1911fan
  7. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I've been expecting this answer:

"Me and my Bros was a-walkin' along one day we look down and spy this steamin' roach on th' ground and here we is...."

[​IMG]

:rofl:lol3:rofl

Have a great New Year!!!

--Bill
  8. RockinTheRVA

RockinTheRVA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came across Adv multiple times while searching for various motorcycle related things. I noticed the awesome sense of community here and became a long-time lurker. Life's pretty busy now, but I love to read about others' journeys and dream about making my own.

It wasn't til I was able to put together an RR of my own that I felt like I could really join and contribute. With one Blue Ridge trip under my belt, I can say I have a taste of what it's all about. Can't wait to make/share more memories with you folks. Meanwhile, keep the awesome RR's coming!

[​IMG]
  9. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    I stumbled onto one of Colebatch's ride reports, sucked me right in.
  10. Trondomatic

Trondomatic To infinity and beyond...

Oddometer:
    I hate to admit it, but I blame Ewan and Charlie. I was off work a couple of months with a broken arm from mountain biking and a friend lent me the Long Way Round DVD set. It didn't take me long to find ADV afterwards.

As much as we love to make fun of their crew-supported journey, I know it fired up the imagination of at least this guy. And they, like Adventure Rider, inspired me to travel the world too. For that, I'm grateful. Thanks all!
  11. Vankaye

Vankaye n00b on the move

Oddometer:
    I was a regular poster over in the suzuki two-stroke forum at ThumperTalk. I followed a link or two and became hooked. To be honest - it was the overwhelming support of ATGATT that got me to come back again and again.
  12. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After riding my Suzuki cruiser for 2+ years with guys on Ducati's and BMW's (and always being last in line on a ride), I decided to look into the GS/Mulitstrada regime. Multiple test rides and the realization that I missed some packed dirt riding made me choose the GS. The Multistrada made me do bad things! Plus I felt the GS a better fit for me considering some of the trails/roads I wanted to ride. Started looking up sites for the GS. Found this site and the rest is history. Lots of great info here and turned a "what the hell does that wrench do" guy into a "I can do that" wrencher.
  13. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Best Answer...EVAR!
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had a Honda XLV750, a pretty rare bike, and was roaming the internet for anything on the bike, and came across ADVRider not long after it started. I've seen it grow and expand, and there is always something here for me no matter what bike I ride.
  15. Import

Import Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three years ago I bought a r1200gs, while looking for info found a web sight for that bike( BMW r1200gs Forum) and under links found this site...... I am addicted to reading the rides, and checking the pics. Can't wait for the snow to go( I know I must be a softie) rides planned , ground to be covered.....
    Ps I remember in the late seventies, before the arrival of quality ride gear. Shoving newspaper down my jacket and trousers to help keep the cold out on my 40 mile commute to work.......
    Import
  16. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I remember that...and the bread bag boot liners...
  17. Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was searching for reviews of cheap top boxes to mount onto the luggage rack that I just made. I kept reading box reviews in this place, and saw some really nice setups. I ended up buying an Emgo trunk for now. I lurked around a little and found that I might want to play some tag, anyway. So, here I am.
  18. cab591

cab591 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine (goes by macminter in most places online) showed me this place about a year and a half ago. I'd click around a few times a week, mostly looking at pictures when I was bored... And then I found the ride reports section.

The one that really caught my eye was titled 25,000 miles with Luke and Nick (linked).

It was probably one of the most entertaining, exciting stories I've ever ridden, about 2 friend's ridiculous quest to ride from the southern tip of Africa, to the northern tip of Norway (something I would have thought impossible, before finding these forums). I sat for at LEAST 2 hours each day, reading as much as I could of their epic story. Eventually I read every last page. It was a roller coaster of ups and downs, from beautiful memories and experiences, to unexpected breakdowns, setbacks, and the occasional corruption.

I still have yet to find a ride report quite as exciting as theirs, but many do come close.

EDIT: I should add, I certainly lurk a LOT more than I post.
  19. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google search a few years ago for places to ride off road. A ride report of some inmate riding the arctic circle popped up. Been reading about my dreams ever since.
  20. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    HA!! I still do that. And NOOOOO I do not ride a KLR.