aaaaaand one more xr600 usd swap! yeah thats right!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by elsalvadorklr, Mar 21, 2012.

1. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, I won't tell your wife how your spending the grocery money.:wink: :lol3
  2. Bluffskier

Bluffskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elsalvadorklr, How do your steering stops align with the 2002 CR250 Triple clamps? I hear different years align better than others.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on some clamps now and get them to fit, then get the forks this summer time frame.

I will use the CR250 stem and have it turned down, then deal with the extra stem length when I cross that bridge (if it's an issue).

Do you know if the '05 CR250 forks use the same caliper as the XR600/650? If not I'll do some more digging in the weeks to come,
  3. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    hey bluff Steve is the one who told me that 2002 ish or up to that year you dont need a caliper extension or bracket...its the same mount and hence the same caliper pretty much...also those years or around those years have no issues with the steering stops

I mean they are perfect! If you want you could probably shave a little of the aluminum on the bottom clamp but you might get into problems if you have a big tank, etc...

what DOES change are the cr crf master cylinders and can be made to work...

all I can reccomend is to get showa TWIN chamber usds which are way better than normal older style usds...

the stem length issues was because I THOUGHT the xr stem(what I used and dont need to turn down anything) was slightly shorter, it might be, but not enough to need to shave down my washers and locknuts etc...like I did originally

in any case let us know...its really easy if you stick with honda oem parts...or oem factory showa stuff etc...
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I installed the USD forks on my XR600 I dry fit the forks and tank to check how the stops would work. The forks were hitting the larger Clarke tank so I welded some stops on the frame and ground them down so the forks would stop just before hitting the tank. Look at the bottom, side of the head tube below the wiring harness loop and you'll see the block I welded on.

[​IMG]

The other side,

[​IMG]
  5. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Oh, I had the same problem with my tank, the lower CRF450 clamp hit a the tank.
    Here is my solution::lol3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first test CRF450 forks (before welding)

[​IMG]

:lurk
  6. Bluffskier

Oddometer:
    Wow! I had not even thought of that for stops! Thanks for sharing. Such pretty welds, mine tend to look like wasp nests. hahaha.

2002 onward forks it will be then, especially if it will allow for the use of more of my OEM XRL parts. I may look into some '05 CR forks since the axle was supposed to be farther back, but I will have to look into caliper compatibility more.

I sent RSW racing an email, but I'm supposed to call him, about making a top triple clamp that combines the CRF fork dimensions with the ignition hole of the XRL. I mean they make both brackets, one the the CRF and XRL, so I bet they could combine them and it would be a hit since alot of people seem to be doing this swap and many people, including myself, are saying "what about the steering lock, ignition, ect." This would be huge for the Super Moto folks too.
  7. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    XR650l CRF top triple clamp.

You mean like this one?

[​IMG]
  8. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    bluriness included?

:hide:hide
  9. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    Steve,
    Can I change the trail of these clips?
    Are there options to change the trail?
    I'm an amateur in welding.
    Welding was carried out very slowly (short seams and big breaks) I was afraid of warping (changes shape) space for the bearing. Big wet rag was in place for the bearing. All wasp holes patched now.:lol3
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christian,

Blurryness due to prior camera. Notice all of the latest pictures are good. Nikon baby.

Don't know about changing the trail. I would imagine RSW is copying the OE specs.
  11. Bluffskier

Oddometer:
    Those XR650l CRF top triple clamps are nice.
    Where do they come from?
    Do you happen to know the offset? or the trail?
    Oh yea, do they take the OEM XRL stem?
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Bluffskier

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will be able to pull the trigger in a month or so as the tax return comes, but this will just be the first leg, or just the forks will be purchased, maybe more depending on what I can find for the price.
    Valentines Day has found my wife a new Pandora Charm and me a complete Pro Link from an '88 XR600 ($37 shipped!!), to replace the Devol lowering link and give me all the original zerk fittings that went away over time. I must say the higher seat feels much better and handling at 70-75mph is unaltered. Besides the higher rear will help level the bike once I do go with the USD's.
  14. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    hey bluff congrats...just play around with the forks when you get them to get correct sag and trail and all...just go up and down with the tubes in the clamps and see what works best for slow going and again for high speed...

mine are solid as hell no wobble or nothing from 1 to 99mph! jajajaj 97actually...

BUT again my xrl shock is rebuilt and revalved...si Im not compensating for anything out back

cheers
  15. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    IVANYCH
    I would like to see how you end up with your forks and oil cooler

I was under the impression that the xr400 cooler would hit the tubes when using usds on the xr600

thanks in advance!

christian
  16. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    OK, Christian!
    I will do a special photo shoot for you.
    I have almost all the necessary parts to build my bike, and I'm waiting the warmth for a large assembly.
    There are several ideas who flee in front of my opportunities.
    these is ideas affect the work, but they are interesting.
    Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap
  17. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if they beefed up the steering stops? I recall someone had one snap off.

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC the person drilled and tapped the stops to install a limit bolt because the forks were hitting the tank. I don't know if the stops have been changed. .
  19. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

As of last month , they were the same as before . :deal
  20. CoeGuthrie

CoeGuthrie 92XR600R

Oddometer:
    Christian-Just wanted to say another Thank you for this thread!
    It has answered a lot of the questions I had about the swap!

And btw, my new forks and shock are at Hitchcock Ind. Right now getting Neils magic touch- between you and BlakeBirds experiences and all the other good reviews, I didn't think I could go wrong! Plus-he is only 30 minutes away from my house!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk