Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    I can guarantee that I am in the same situation.
  2. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Yo rilla,
    I've set one up at the shop. Seemed like a well done product. Welds looked good, paint good. I only gave it the customary test ride after wrenching, so I can't say much more.

And as usual, I definitely can't comment on how it'll hold up for someone who weighs twice as much as me.
    :dunno
  3. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    You could give someone your size a piggyback ride on it!

Take some whoops, cruise some loose gravel, attack some hills... :thumb

You and your buddy could be an honorary clydesdale for a day!

Thanks! Non-owner feedback is purer. :thumb
  4. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

Yes.

Just walked in the door after a 724 mile bicycle tour. I'm sold. Too bad it's so damn time consuming.
  5. knary

knary Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

damn
  6. elchulopadre

elchulopadre Hairodynamic

Oddometer:
    Niiiiice.

You know what else is time consuming? Writing reports about 724 mile bicycle tours. :deal :lurk
  7. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! You gotta right something up about this!

:lurk
  8. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:
    Askel,

After you sleep a few days, are you going to write something up????
  9. gambrinus

gambrinus http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer:
    If you're a BIG guy, I'd probably look for another answer. It's not a cheap answer, but there are several builders who will make a frame with S&S couplers... Check out the site for "CO-Motion" bicycles out of Oregon. They even do a frame specifically for BIG riders.

Good luck.

RW
  10. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

Working on it.

A few teaser pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put down a deposit on a leftover 2008 Roubaix Comp last night.

About a week ago I got serious about getting a proper road bike and started doing test rides. I tried the Roubaix, a Trek Madone, and a race-oriented Cannondale something-or-other. The Roubaix was the clear winner in terms of fit. Not as light, snappy, or sharp-handling as the Madone or Cannondale, but it also didn't beat me up nearly as badly on the patchy potholey roads around here. I haven't done any long road rides recently, but I'd like to get back to that, and there's no doubt which of those 3 bikes I'd rather be on after 70 miles of nasty New England asphalt.

The most surprising part came when I got back on my cross bike to go home and think things over, after trying the Roubaix yesterday afternoon. I immediately noticed that my bike didn't fit as well as the Roubaix, and that the ride over bad asphalt was harsher. I was expecting the Roubaix to be lighter and to respond more sharply when I stomped the pedals (and it met both of those expectations). I wasn't expecting it to be so clearly more comfortable.

I got back home, checked out a few things online, went and did a short mountain bike ride, and then went back to the shop to put down my deposit. They're tuning it up today and I'll probably pick it up in a little while.

Since the bike is a leftover 2008 I'm getting a pretty good deal. But I wish my shop had one of those punch-card loyalty programs like coffee shops do. I'd be about due for a free bike.
  12. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    That's AWESOME!
  13. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    I check out the breakdown size. Thanks.
  14. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I have a Tikit, not particularly a travel bike that fits in a suitcase, but a commuter bike that easily fold and wheels along while you walk on and off public transportation.

Designs of their machines are well thought out, little details that reminds me of custom bikes that have special alternative purpose like bottle opener or pump peg that doubles as grocery bag holder.

[​IMG]

For a bike with small 16" wheels, the handling character is very similar to a larger wheeled bike, power transfer is very efficient, ride quality is good with its comfort seat to compensate the stiff small wheels.

Don't know your weight, but smaller wheels are likely to handle more weight if built properly.
  15. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Good deal, glad you found a roadie :thumb

About the punch card... you have to hang out long enough for them to let you "work" one night a week. DAMHIK. :lol3
  16. Javarilla

Javarilla Escapee

Oddometer:
    Excellent! No problems, then? How long have you owned?
  17. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I think I'm on the "rack of the month club" program now. Just ordered a rack for my MTB. LBS Guy: "So which bikes do you have that don't have racks yet?" :lol3

I figured, if touring=awesome and bike racing=awesome, riding to the bike race next weekend, and then riding back home afterward must be superawesome.

Gonna try my hand at some lightweight offroad bikepacking. :evil
  18. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

I'm right there with you Askel. I just picked this up and I'm ready to do an overnighter on it. I've got a Surly LHT set up for commuting and road tours, but the Fargo is more like my KTM. Major difference though is that I haven't ridden the KTM since I broke my leg back in December. The bikes seem to be more fun now. Funny how an accident can change your outlook.
  19. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    :bow Askel.
  20. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

Fargos have been calling my name for a while now, my current strategy of resistance is to outfit my single speed 29er with a internally geared hub this winter and use that for some bikepacking next year...

Still, it's just a matter of which bike I get drunk and order from some online retailer first- Fargo or Pugsley. :evil

Hmmm... Still have a couple beers left... :freaky