2013 RMAR Colorado Adventure Motorcycle 1000

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jacks996

Jacks996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was the rider with the KLR, besides the horrible suspension and ground clearance, after picking it up fully loaded a few times I was wishing I was on a 125cc. I now have a KTM 525 that weighs 250 with suspension that blows the KLRs away

2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Jack, you are a very good rider and I am convinced you could have finished on the KLR, but it would have been a wrestle. You will be much, much happier on your new 525.

I rode an XR650R on the first ride and it was awesome and perfect (never mind the blown stem bearings the end of day 6). I have since traded the bike and am not sure what I will be on for 2013. I might be on my street legal YZ426...... Although, Scott spoiled me to no end letting me ride his 950SE for about half an hour. If the budget allows....I might be on a big KTM.

Regardless, this is a team ride and everyone will drop their bike and the team will come to their aid. The team work and tough riding is what builds phenomenal memories and relationships. I will never forget all the guys from year #1.
  3. randyfish

randyfish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go how much does it cost?
  4. Christeon

Christeon Big Ticket

Oddometer:
    One billion dollars!
  5. Big_John

Oddometer:

The CAM is an appreciation ride for RMAR Gold Level members.

2013 membership information isnt finalized, but interested parties will receive information via email in January.

Stay tuned.
  6. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    I can't commit to being "in" at this point but I would definitely like to receive the new members information. I have ridden the CO500 in years past and I've seen some of the folks I met show up in your threads. Please send me the info. in January. I want to be there...:ear I think I'll truck in the 450 EXC if I go though and leave the 950se at home for this one. Oh yeah...and if I can bring the fam I'm golden! The wife doesn't ride and the daughter is a bit too young yet (6 by time of this ride). Live music you say!?!? Oh yeah!!! :clap
  7. TBKahuna

TBKahuna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, relaxed rules to allow involvement from our loved ones eh? Well then, I hope Big Ticket shows up again as my list of loved ones continues to diminish. I'll even send him another whistle.....
  8. Big_John

Oddometer:

We all love you man..... Mostly, I loved the look on your face when 3-4 of the team helped to pick up your bike. It's a deep feeling of the need to rely on a team to accomplish a goal. We all needed each other. Even Big John put his bike down, twice.

I really like the other RMAR rides throughout the year, but the CAM1k is in a league, all it's own. It's not just riding, but deep camaraderie and friendship.....built from complete strangers, and an incredible sense of accomplishment.

9. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    Interested !:freaky
  10. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    In if you will have me along.
  11. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:

How about throwing in a "Trail day" where we are challenged to follow GPS routes to certain destinations; such as a gas station, we we need to pick up an item from the gas station, showing that we checked in there.

Sort of a Dakar Rally Day, so to speak.....
  12. Big_John

Oddometer:

Oh my word......what a phenomenal idea!!!!

The thing is....I don't think the CAM is the place for this. I think our Rendezvous in Silverton is the right event.

I will post over on that thread with the idea......and you will get the credit, SteveO!!!!
  13. SteveO

Oddometer:

nice....great placement
  14. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ever given any thought to the Grand Mesa. I recently bought a lodge up here. Thunder Mountain Lodge has a full bar and restaurant, 14 cabins and tons of single track up here. Coming from WI we didn't have much off road riding and the dirt has bitten me big time. Kind of like the elk did 25 years ago. Bought 3 bikes already. Yamaha Super Tenere, DR650 SE, and a Hotrod Kawasaki KX450. They all have more power than I have talent! Lots of USFS campgrounds up here also. I have been promoting and sponsuring a lot of snowmobile events and am looking to get into the bike venues next summer. Check us out at www.thundermountainlodge.net. If you a guys have any suggestions as what we could offer I am all ears. Thanks, Mark
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    So how does one go about getting a slot on this ride? I totally get the smaller is better thing, and I'm all for it. (In fact I'll be ditching a Husky TE 610 for something lighter soon.) Frankly, I'd love to do a ride like this on a KDX, but we'll see what's in the garage next summer.

Anyway, I'm interested if there's room.
  16. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is a great area. We actually rode right through the area on the 2012 route, running some of the double track over to Vega Reservoir. I doubt it will be a part of the 2013 route, but will probably come back to it in 2014.

So here is the deal. The first of December, RMAR will send out invites to the Members that participated in the 2012 Ride. Once we receive those commitments back, then we will start to send out invites for 2013, probably the first of January. There will be slots, as we are growing the ride from one group of 15 riders to two groups, totaling 30 riders.

The first of January, I will ask anyone interested to PM me their email address. It is through you email that you will receive all the information.

Thanks for your interest.

17. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I donated a prize last year and will do so again this year.
    Happy to help.

Jim AKA King of Fleece, LLC
    www.kingoffleece.com
  18. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I'll keep an eye peeled. :thumb
  19. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Gang, I have flipped and back forth on the feedback from 2012 in a couple of areas. 2012 was a tough damn ride....sometimes too tough with a loaded bike. A bit of feedback was to provide a sagwagon to haul the gear.

I cannot do that. I will keep the passion and spirit of this ride, as it was originally created.

This is an extreme adventure ride where we will carry our gear and tent camp. There will be no chase vehicles and no trailer hauling gear.

This will be a team ride and we will help each other and everyone will be a successful finisher (minus a major mechanical challenge).

There will be 3-4 nights where a motel will be an option, but 3-4 where tent camping is required at a remote location.

I will do my very best to sculpt the route where we get a hot shower at least every other nigh

This ride is for only a small population of adventure explorers that want challenge and phenomenal sense of accomplishment.
  20. SteveO

Oddometer:
    Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.

Let's make this a R-e-a-l adventure....:freaky