Basic Guzzi info, anyone?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Mista Vern, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Snot

Snot n00b

Oddometer:
    I'ma lurker! :evil I came across this thread while searching for info and pics on a 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado I inherited and was going to bring back to life but was overwhelmed by all the parts and cost of doing so. So far I've just been staring at it. But here she is. Sorry for the thread jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 74 I brought home. Looks like you have all the parts. If your not into doing a full restoration , just go through it and see what it needs, it may need only new seals and gaskets, if it has the original chrome bores you can have a cast iron sleeve put in with matching set of rings for iron bore for a lot less then new cylinders.
    My paint and body work look nice so I'm just painting the frame and fixing up the rest, trying not to go over broad.
  3. Snot

Snot n00b

Oddometer:
    I've never in my life restored anything so I don't even know if I want to attempt it. Might just put it on ebay or something and be done with it and put the money towards a nice FJR. Currently own an 04 zx10, but looking to switch it up and do some traveling.
  4. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is no thread-jack.
    You do need to fill out your profile so I can determine how far
    I'll have to travel to pick up an EASY restoration on a beautiful bike. :evil
    Buy the modern "appliance" if you must. Just be forwarned that selling the
    Eldorado will cause sellers remorse before long.
    The following quote from back when I started my restoration:
    "when you're done it'll run better than a new vintage and have way more class"
    Thanks, Ural Dog, for the inspiration!
  5. Turdell

Turdell Idiot Savant

Oddometer:
    Yeah, bring that thing back to life. If not then drop me a line I might be interested in bringing it back. I am working on a 1976 T3 right now that came out of a barn and is in worse shape than yours.

Good Luck.
  6. dirtydan

dirtydan Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer:
    I just got this Moto Guzzi last feb. I have a few easy questions. As no one around here has a bike like this im going Internet with my.question
    Its a 1975 850T with a deep oil pan. The dip stick is from a smaller pan. . So it holds about 4 quarts of oil but only shows a small amount of oil on stick . So if i was to ride this thing a long way and use 1/2 Qt of oil it would most likely not even show on the stick . I hope to weld on a extender to the stick. Im wondering how long and where to file marks on the stick. I hope this makes some sort of sense,

Or am I the dip stick?
    [​IMG]

Dan
  7. Ddouble

Ddouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An 850T should take 3 liters of oil, or right around 3-1/2 quarts. I believe that the purpose of the deep sump is not really to increase oil capacity, but to reduce crankshaft windage and pumping losses. So I would recommend draining the oil, put in the proper amount (3-1/2 qts), and mark your longer dipstick at that indicated level. Does that make sense?
  8. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just get it back on the road! You can have more fun than you might have on an FJR, at half the speed. Parts may seem a little pricey, but don't aim for perfection, just roadworthyness.

I bought this basket case for the front wheel and as a parts bike. With a bit of paint, a new exhaust valve, a new clutch and a few other cheapish parts (exhausts and shocks from a bike wrecker >$100), its back on the road. I've posted this elsewhere, but it looks like you need some emotional support.

[​IMG].

Click here to see what it looked like before I played with it.
    http://www.adamsheritage.info/cali.htm

Have faith. You can do it. It's worth it.

Nick
  9. dirtydan

dirtydan Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer:
    Yes it makes good sense. Im going to do just that. Thank you.

I am also looking to buy a side stand for this , I dont have a clue as to where to look. Any advise would be welcome.

Dan
  10. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Um, no, don't do that. :D The standard amount of oil in a deeper sump will lower the level of oil. The oil pickup tube is at a fixed height and if it sucks air, that's a bad thing. If you want to run the stock 3.6 liters you'll have to extend the pickup tube and the dipstick.

The stock sidestand for the 850-T sucks, but can be had here.

Good luck & HTH
    Sean
  11. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see there is a Eldorado on the MGNOC site.
    Bargain ?

The original speedometer for the Eldorado I bought was in a box of original parts sent down by the previous owner,it will be interesting to see what things look like based on the low mileage and general condition of the bike.
    With some luck (two bike projects underway already) the top end will come off this weekend.

[​IMG]
  12. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    How much do you want for that thing, as a down payment for the next thing?....:ear

13. guzzimike

guzzimike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the older motors different?
    My Guzzis have the oil pickup attached to the sump, not the crankcase.
  14. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

And to be fair, his T may be one of the units that rolled off the line with a filter, or the PO may have added the filter via an updated sump and crankcase modifications. My recco would be to drain the oil, pull the sump and see what's up under her skirt.
  15. Ddouble

Ddouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Sean. I was just about to ask that same question.

And to DirtyDan, I apologize for giving you some potentially bad advice on a subject I thought I was knowledgeable enough to comment on:huh. Sean's a "pro" with a lot of experience. He knows what he is talking about. I'm glad he chimed in.

I suppose I ASSumed that the deep sump was installed with the pick-up in the correct location.
  16. dirtydan

dirtydan Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing a few things out. I just got off the phone with the guy who put the deep sump on the bike . If I understand correct , the deep sump is more for oil control not Xtra oil capacity. So OK.. And this is a late 75 and had a oil filter from factory.
    I changed the oil and filter early spring . I put in 4 Quarts .

I will sort this out.

But what I need to do , and dont want to, is get a side stand rigged up , The pipes are not stock so a regular bolt up will not work.

Two fresh tires and tubes will be on the way

Thanks
    Dan
  17. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Dan,
    Yes it will.... Those head piped wil not keep you from installing a stock T, T-3, SP, LeMans or G-5 stand. The heavier police stand may give you fits but that is a mod to the lower frame rail. In fact, you will need a different lower frame rail for that one as the mount s part of the G-5 lower rail.

So, go check out Flea Bay, those side stands come up often...

The oil capacity is 3 liters. Period. Or you will get oil misting from the breather.

Best,
    Rob

18. dirtydan

dirtydan Cheese hat on ?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob, thats good news. I was told no stock set up would work. In going to start looking for something.

Other than Guzziology, can you name a good shop manual for the 850. ? Guzziology is a great book but its on loan and I will need to return soon.

Dan
  19. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:

Dan,
    Unfortunatly there are not a great deal of tech manuals out there for Guzzis... the old stand by is available

[​IMG]

There are also some free downloadable manuals out there and ebay has some NOS stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Moto%20Guzzi%20850%20LeMans%20additions%20Workshop%20Manual%20V7%20Sport%20750S%20850T%20&_itemId=290636883529

20. dancerdave

dancerdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this old guzzi in a barn 3 weeks ago ... 1979 v1000 g5 police model.. my very first moto guzzi, i have ridden bmw for 25 years.. hope this turns out to be fun..http://[​IMG]