Fun with Outright Junk

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you take the risers off entirely and refit standard bars, control and handling will be much better. Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. Intake restriction on the TLR is caused primarily by the flame trap, which the foam filter element fits over. TLR with altered head angle, modern forks and good rear suspension handles and steers very well indeed, and is comparable to a modern bike in easier events. The stock set up is pretty poor though, and more suited to play bike or trail riding.
  2. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    That is when it is so fun, to be in this sport, isn't it? I thought people were blowing smoke, when I was younger, now I know it is true. Watching the kids get onto this thing we enjoy, and watching them shake the monkeys from the trees, with the fruit :wink: even though eventually it will be on us as well...
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote from Twinshocker. `Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. `
    You forget twinshocker, he is at 7000ft. and I know that it is a free improvement that only takes 5 minutes. This comes from the mods I did to my own reflex, riding at the same elevation.
  4. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Very true. That mod, covered earlier in this thread, works very well here in the Wild, Wild West. :jose
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will make a difference at high altitude, but not as much as removing the flame trap, which will help much more.
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Why you insist on sticking your fat snout into this thread is a mystery to me. You do know you are free to start your own, don't you? :deal
  7. UtahGuido

UtahGuido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Easy guys. I haven't gotten to the airbox yet. The last few days have been spent getting my KLR back on the road after way too long. Runs great and feels good.

So, I decided to swap my front sprocket for a 10T. I ordered one from B&J, it showed up, I removed the sprocket cover expecting to find two bolts holding the sprocket on, and I see this:

[​IMG]

Huh? What maner of wrench gets this thing off?

The question is sort of moot for now because if you look you'll see that this front sprocket is already a 10T. Oh. Je sui bonehead. Looks like I need a bigger back sprocket, or a 9T, in which case I'll eventually have to deal with this odd nut arrangement.

So what's up with this?
  8. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trying to help the OP with accurate advice...............from the pics of your own TLR it seems clear you cant offer much in the way of assistance.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OE sprocket has been removed at some stage, and a smaller one fitted, which means the OE retainer no longer fits. To fit a smaller sprocket you need a spacer (still supplied by Honda) to take up the space of the OE retainer, and a circlip to take the place of the mangled mess holding your sprocket on currently. I would guess you should be able to get both items from Bob at B&J. For trials use, its worth looking at 9-44 but you may need to go larger on the rear, as you will be losing a fair amount of power if you are at 7000ft. Bob might also be able to help with a KN filter element to replace your stock flame trap/foam arrangement, which will be less restrictive and mean a little more power.
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I am the OP of this thread. It even says so right next to my username. Once again, the whole point of this thread was to assemble a Reflex out of a bunch of scrap parts, and have fun with it. It was never meant to be a build guide. If folks want to copy what I did, great. If not, that's cool too. If others want to share their stories about having Trials fun on an old user/abuser/scrapper refugee, then that is neat also. I am still having fun with my bike, even if its in semi-retirement (abandoned on the back porch). Insulting me or my bike is not making you any friends here, pard.
  11. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you feel that posting up advice which isnt accurate, is likely to be of help to anyone following this thread thats up to you entirely.

Its possible to make the TLR an awful lot better without spending much money, but you seem unable to take that on board, and seem to take pleasure in suggesting that things like Chinese pitbike CDI units, and cheap Taiwanese carbs dont work, even though these are things you have never tried yourself.
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Okay once again, how 'bout pics of your bike? With you in competition on it? Results? Build pics? How 'bout a part number for this magical Chinese CDI unit you have touted, along with a wiring schematic that you have been asked about several times, yet never manage to provide? Pics, part number, and a tuning guide for this Taiwanese carb? You seem to have a hard-on for me, so it's time for you to step up and prove you are something other than a keyboard commando. I ride and compete on mine. What the hell do you do with yours, if it even exists?

Apologies, Utah Guido. Keep posting pics of your progress. As stated earlier, you are welcome to ride and compete with us anytime. That goes for you too, Twinshocker. Any. Time.
  13. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    So you're saying my nut is a mangled mess? Boy!

Frankly I can't even see that there is a nut on there. Maybe I'll send this picture to B&J and see what he says. In the meantime I've got to replace the front tire and fit a rim lock to the rear. I'm taking it with me down south next week for some farting around. I'll screw with that nut when I get back.
  14. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not a nut. It is a clip that is saftey wired on since the clip no longer fits correctly.
  15. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Yep...Circlip. Just remove the wire and snap it off there with a little screw driver.
  16. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    Incredible!! Seems you piss off people where ever you post.... :lol3
  17. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no nut fitted to TLR output shafts............you have what looks like a mangled up old circlip of some sort on yours, and should be able to prise it off with a screwdriver very easily.
  18. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Chinese CDI units need wiring alterations to fit, which are pretty simple given the pins on 5 pin units are all wired the same. Taiwanese carbs dont need any jetting changes at all, and are a straight bolt on replacement for the OE Keihin.

However I am not sure many grasp the fact that there are no wiring diagrams or instructions for carrying out alterations on old TS bikes, and that without commonsense and a little basic mechanical knowledge its probably best to leave your old TS bike stock.
  19. UtahGuido

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. A-prising the circlip I will go!
  20. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

No jetting changes at all, and all 5 pin Chinese CDIs will go right on, eh? That response proves without a shadow of a doubt that you in fact, don't know shit.

Still haven't seen pics of you building a bike, modifying a bike, competing on your bike, posted results, or anything else pard. There's plenty of me and others modifying and competing on Reflex's, but none of you it seems. Just to make this clear - I'm calling you out.