South African ADVrider.com members

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by Gruebane, Mar 7, 2005.

1. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a moderator complain about the size of posts.
    I for one find it extremely frustrating when people post HUGE pics that force me to scroll around the screen and try to guess just what the hell its supposed to be…
    Also, I use dial-up - waiting 15minutes for a pic to load is not an option!

My pics are never wider than 600 or 700 pixels and I try to compress them (.jpg) to smaller than 100KB
  2. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Strike, hows the bike?
  3. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Lottery Loser

Oddometer:
    Not so good G

Everything is being shipped from Germany (3weeks!)
    Its only been one week and I have to hold on for another two! I'm dying here...

My weekends are just not the same without her - I just stay in my flat and refuse to go out. I dont even take out the empty pizza boxes and beer cans...

I miss my bike :cry
  4. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    :vardy:cry:eek1:cry

I'm feeling your pain - dude - dude - dude - owwwwwwwww
  5. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LiveInTheOutdoors......
    do you work in the old "spekenham" factory grounds?

am going to pop into the rally grounds in Tulbagh this saturday....
    never been to a rally, so want to see what its like.

anyone going?
  6. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    damn, you shouldve let me know by phone, I would have gone dude with you. I dont know where I work! I work in a large factory attached to Winelands Pork if you know where that is......

If youre up fora ride tomorrow in Grabouw, let me know perhaps...via cell. I wont be checking up on email till Monday. Not a pub hol for me...:cry

Cheers!
  7. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i wont make tomorrow grabouw... :cry

and i thought you were going to swellendam?

now, i think we have seen one another already.
    you and your buddy park your bikes outside your work place. opposite you is a truck mechanic....

about 2 weeks ago - on a sunday, just before a hellse storm, you came outside to look for the tiny grass snake somebody found by your bike.....
    remember?
    that was me there, on the xt600...... lol

second funny thing happened today. going over bains kloof pass to tulbach, i stopped at the calabash bar..... and a guy on an africa twin came to chat to me.

he was also with his mate in the steenbras dam area last sunday, and remembers 3 guys inside the reserve......... one a dakar, an africa twin, and the third guy on an 1150 gs
    they also know somebody who gives them the keys to ride inside where you do.

anyway, have a lekker week :D

ciao
  8. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    TRULY A SMALL WORLD -

funny thing is that I was wondering whether it was you on the bike when you posted pics of your bike. I remember - one and the same fella.

The guy on the twin, I met last week as we were coming out - same guy you speak of here... and he has an insider there, his friend. Same guy who we have made contact with to ride inside as they say in the movies.

I gave up Swellies due to committment, and am backat work on both Saturday and Sunday and Monday :cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

But such is life. I have to admit that I am now going to unpack groceries (domestic stuff, yech) and go and find some areas locally where I can go exploring. Its amazing how the riding beckons to ya - pheweeeee

so funny this Ernie, cos darn, its a small world. Check out my ride report - Cape Ride, South Africa under ride reports for what old Steenbras holds in store for ya :D

Cool man, come visit anytime at work, cos we're almost always there :puke1

Cheers, George
  9. Gruebane

Gruebane Pawn Star

Oddometer:
    Any of you gents going to Paradise rally? Lots of lekker adv riding roads in Mparalanga ?
  10. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    unfortunately not :cry

but am waiting for your pics/report :D
  11. TheSaint

TheSaint Hopefull Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lekker manne,

X in Roodepoort en bly om te sien daars nog SA booikies hier.

In the process of selling my 650GS and looking to upgrade to 1150.
    Been reading these for a while but the first time to see fellow SA's. :rofl
  12. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Welcome Saint to the Nuwe ou Suid Afrika deel van die internet. Ahem - how badly does my Afrikaans suck?

Anyhow, welkom welkom welkom and hey guys lets all feel very free to post ride reports pictorially - they love good pictures and seem to love a nice write up to, explaining the pics, cos it provides nice context for whats going down.

So of course, feel free to check up on my Lesotho report or the Cape Ride, South Africa report, and theres more to come. I know we've all done some riding and taken photos. Lets market this SAfrica to kingdom come and show these boys and girls (<---hopefully some yummy ones) what a beautiful country we have.

Cheers! G:D
  13. SGB

SGB Learning Always

Oddometer:
    Hi there

Live in Durbs and ride a KTM 950 Adventure S. We have some great spots around here too. Happy to share some routes, have GPS tracks of most. Let me know who's interested!
  14. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while and thought I'd say hello. I learned to ride on a friend's XT600 while I was in SA for an extended vacation more than a few years ago. Spent six months riding around (Swazi, Eastern Cape, Lesotho and Natal mainly) and loved every minute of it. Just me, the bike and a set of golf clubs. I got some great looks riding into the golf courses with a set of clubs strapped on the back of the bike. Its great to hear about where you all are going and its gotten me thinking of heading back again for a ride in the next couple of years. Iv'e been back a couple of times since my first trip, but never been in a position to ride. Youv'e gotten me convinced it's time time to start planning for a riding trip.

If any of you ever find yourself with a need or desire to see Alaska, let me know. There is lots of good riding to be had (although only for about 5 months a year) as well as plenty of non-riding things to see and do. My wife probably won't think so, but thanks for giving me the idea to go back for a little two wheeled fun.
  15. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what better way to see south africa - on a xt600 :D :D :D

hello there anyway, and yep, start planning your next trip here....
  16. macduff

macduff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh, and about alaska....

i have read reports from a guy called gnomad, on maximumbikes.com - simply stunning country too.
    altho, i think he does some winter/snow riding too....... am not too sure.
  17. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey SGB - may I take this moment, and say how jealous I am of you on your Katoom - wahh salivate waaahhh:cry:cry:cry:cry

I was literally born in Notties my mate, so that country is extremely close to my heart. I will be coming up when the finances are right, so get ready for an adventure mad rider, who wont stop till the juice has run out....

Cheers! Where in Durbies are ya? I have lived very temporarily in Durbs North, and Westville, and then further up the coast in a little lekker place called Zinkwazi...
  18. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Hey NR,

Welcome back to SA land - I used to ride a XR 600, but man was I afraid of that thing. I couldnt really ride offroad, I stuck mainly to tar. I did do one trip to StLucia, Kosi Bay (loads of sand, not fun for an absolute beginner ill overloaded), and Sodwana, inclusive of Cape Vidal. Lovely country, could live there. Mind you I did that from Joeys with knobblies on, and the only thing that was sore was my crotch. Not going to explain...

As far as Alaska goes, I FEEL THE NEED AND THE DESIRE. Do I qualify? Do I? Do I? its my holy grail of rides, and the only thing that looks even remotely like it down in my neck of the woods, called Grabouw Plantations, is my fave spot because of it.

SO let me extend my offer to you and say that if you find yourself here, I will be willing tourguide and take you on some awesome riding too. Cheers! And nice to meet someone from my dreamland...

George :thumb
  19. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    Check out the Over the Top Hop - Anchorage to Dawson City, Yukon thread in the Great White North forum. Most of the inmates from the local asylum post there pretty regularly. As you will note from the group the qualification criteria are pretty broad so I wouldn't worry too much. We are all looking for a good reason to ride and show the place off to anyone who's interested. If you ever do decide to come on up just drop a post to that forum and you'll get some great ideas and pointers on what to see and do as well as some offers to drop on by for a beer. Hope you make the dream work.
  20. HappyGoLucky

Oddometer:
    Lekker (which means nice btw - you going to have learn a few words to make your stay even more comfortable). For some ideas of the local terrain, check out a couple of the ride reports - in Ride Reports and pics pics pics... Search for South Africa, should bring them up. I just started a new one today, fellas drop by with your comments if you will. I am not done, but as time allows or inspiration.

Cheers!