Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. Pauls2ndblessing

Pauls2ndblessing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me give you an example, before I took mine down for a pending trade, I have 10,700 miles, thousands in mods... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840577 <--- see here for list

And I was asking 3200 OBO for inmates, 3500obo for CL ads

I found exactly what I wanted so I didn't have to bargain with anyone and will be making the trade on the 8th.

4k for something with almost twice the miles is not that great.
  2. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in the same boat about a month and a half ago, what made my decision was the down low torque the drz has, been loving mine.

Around here (Los Angeles) cl, theres TONS of drz's, seems like each day a few more are added on, so theres a lot of good deals out here, in other areas where there are not so many, the prices can be higher, so it depends on the region imo.

but id say tops around 4,500, for this area, sm's seem to be worth a bit more then the s's.

yep, you lose money on mods big time, its almost better to remove them from the bike and sell the bike as stock and the mods just to be parted out imo.

I too am gonna ride this bike for a long while, i hope, lol wanna get every penny out of it.
  3. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, congrats on finding a trade, i sat on a KLX250S quite a few times, definately a bit lower and lighter then the drz, its a very nice looking bike imo, post up some pics once you recieve it.
  4. Pauls2ndblessing

Pauls2ndblessing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks 150ron,

I love my DRZ and for someone a few inches taller, more experienced(or just likes power wheelies, not my thing) they are fantastic machines! I'll probably get another one... one day when I'm more comfortable with bikes in general.

I'll definitely post pics when I get the trade complete
  5. Ryel

Ryel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the IMS with Unibiker and the only change was longer bolts on the bottom of the tank with plastic washers
  6. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a question which has probably been answered here many times. So sorry for the trouble. Since I seem to be continually spending money on my DRZ, I guess it is going to be staying with me for the long term.

I would like a bigger gas tank. Something for out west adventures, Moab, Colorado etc. My current hundred mile range has been a bit of a pain. In looking at all of the (too many) options, anybody have the perfect size? Not too big not too small. I know it is a very loaded question. However, is there a point where carrying too much gas is just dumb? Should I plan plan for 200 miles? 250 miles? What is a reasonable expectation?

Thoughts?

Cheers
  7. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not too big, not too small = IMS 3.2 gallon tank, i can get about 170 + out of mine, looks great on the bike too imo.

[​IMG]
  8. jordan p

jordan p projects > time alloted

Oddometer:
    So now I think I am going to lean strong towards a brand new S, that way I have a warranty, and know exactly what kinds of miles are going on the bike... I also found a "project" DRZ on c list that has been sitting for a while that looks to be a former San Francisco PD bike missing some body parts, but guy says runs great... hmmm pay 900 bucks cash and revive an unknown or just go brand new with comfort? hmmmmmmm
  9. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    <TABLE class="li rsittlref " itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer" listingId="330808608454i" r="138" itemprop="offers"><TBODY itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Product" itemprop="itemOffered"><TR itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer" itemprop="offers"><TD class="pic p225 lt">[​IMG]

</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px" class=dtl>IMS/ROOL DESIGNS IMS TK DRZ400 4.0 GAL YEL 115521-Y2
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>That seem to be the most popular IMS tank 4.5gal (include res.) U can get 200 miles easy out of this tank. I did ~ 170 miles off-rd open throttle most of the time, 2nd-3rd gear (with 15/47 gearing) maybe 4th in some spots. I didn't even hit reserve before the next gas stop.
  10. nrspence

nrspence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    150ron that IMS 3.2 does look really good on the DRZ. that's the size i go with.
  11. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:

Get any headlight capable of an H4 bulb, and HID conversion is really cheap. ~$65 for a 55W.
  12. MuddySump

MuddySump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short video of a ride I did earlier this month here in the UK. Even though it was November I didnt expect it to be as cold as it was, its a 30 minute ride just to get to the place I was going to and was already freezing by the time I got there so had to cut it short :nah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVvRYNEC9Y&feature=plcp
  13. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice vid, thanks for sharing,

just installed a headlight on/off switch, only cost me 3 bucks and was pretty easy to do.
  14. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Numbers, look forward to an in depth post on what has been done with plenty of pics and your ride impressions when up and running. Good on ya
  15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    you're kidding, right ? its a fucking dirtbike, get the 900 dollar bike and beat the shit out it.

900 vs 6000.

for a dirt bike.

lol
  16. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second that. Plastic is cheap. When it dies take the plate off it and push it in the landfill. (after properly recycling the batteries and fluids of course).
  17. The Recycled Teenager

The Recycled Teenager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right but the DRZ gets me and my camera to some amazing places I can't get to easily on foot, and it FUN getting there too.
    For water or snow and ice I have Kites and Boards of different kinds. my favorite move is the backward psycho loop in this video
    For rain days I take the missus to galleries and the odd movie or just stay home and cook something tasty :D
  18. waz

waz carbonbased lifeform

Oddometer:
    Howdy all;

I learned to ride in the dirt many moons ago, but have been riding street bikes exclusively for almost 40 years. Lately, I've got a hankering to get a dual sport to do some off-road exploring.

I've come across 2 prospects on CL: a 1999 DR350 w/ 1500 miles for $2500 (firm) and a 2001 DR-Z400E w/ 4500 miles for $2000.

I've gone to look at & ride the 350, but not the 400 yet. The 350 was in great shape and ran good, but since the 13 year-old original tires are still on the bike, I'd have to get a set of tires for it, and the valves have never been checked. I think the price is about $500 too high, but the owner won't budge.

I don't know what kind of shape the 400 is in, because I'm going to look at it the day after Thanksgiving, but the owner says it's excellent, and the water pump was replaced this past summer. It has Perrelli 70/30 street tires on it, but since I'm planning on doing some serious dirt riding, I would want to get some knobbies.

I thought the DR might be a better pick because it's air-cooled and lighter, but the DR-Z is 2 years newer and at least $500 cheaper (I'm hoping the owner will sell it for $1700, but I'll offer $1500 when I ride it Friday).

This being a 400 thread, I'm sure you're biased; but which one would you choose and why?.(I'm gonna put this on the DR350 thread and get their opinions too)

BTW, what's the difference between an E and an S model?
  19. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The E is the off road model and the S is the street legal version. E has a little off road advantage, not a big difference just alittle. The E can be tricky getting tagged if it not already tagged, depending on the State.
    The 350 has 6 gears versus the DRZ with 5. The 350 has a bit of a cult following because of the 6 gears and being a little lighter. The later model 350 like the 99 is improved over the earlier models I think in suspension. The DRZ was an upgrade from the 350 in suspension and motor (water cooled) but a little heavier. I have traded off riding both on some trip and could not really tell much of a difference.

Good Luck.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the dr350. no shims for the valves, kick start already in place, electrics that don't suck, great power, air cooled, and lighter. if it was going to be a dual sport, id say drz. a 90% offroad, dr3 1/2