Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Last year I had a GPS for the first 1/2 the race then it and I got separated and I didn't get it back until several weeks after (long story*). When I did have the GPS between dust on the screen and glare I couln't see it much anyway so pretty much ignored it until I thought I was lost.

There are a lot of cases where the roadbook is MUCH better than GPS. Occasionally there will be a small fork in the road and if you are following the GPS track it isn't obvious if it is left or right until you go down the wrong one for a ways. If you are following along in the roadbook and your ODO is in sync you should clearly know if it is left or right.

My plan again this year if I do the race is to have the GPS but just to use after I realize I am lost.

[begin shamless plug]
    * re-the "long story".... if you want to read that story get a copy of this when it goes on sale!
    http://www.tftb.org/index.php/publications/volume-2-rallies-2012

[end shamless plug]
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Didn't have one.. didn't need one.. I had a baja almanac in my pack if I really really really really got off piste.. the only good thing I see with one is using it for mileage if your odometer breaks. Besides there were two guys from Tejas I know that didnt even use either the road book OR Gps and found there way all the way to cabo.. If I used one it would probably only be for the cap heading and mileage/speedo ..
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:

I had my 60CSX in my pocket, turned off as a back up. The Roadbook is great, you get a heck of a lot more information about whats ahead than the GPS will ever tell you. I'm not sure how you could get lost with the roadbook, it seems so easy:lol3 The only time I got off course was because I was day dreaming on that really fast and smooth sand road on stage 1 on day 2.... I need to learn how to focus:lol3
  4. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road book and cap headings only for me.
  5. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, me and El Spiderman did the whole thing no roadbook no "real" GPS. Studied the course map before each stage and took off. It was VERY apparent which way to go....for the most part, it was a little follow the leader, a little pick the fork in the road and hope for the best.

El Spiderman whipped out the iPhone a few times if we were completely screwed lost.

I'd say use a roadbook, and have the gps tracks downloaded and locked into your iPhone for backup. The GPS app we used worked like a charm.
  6. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The car team I have been working with is considering running the NORRA event but is unsure if either of the cars will be ready by then, ( my driver and I flipped the prerunner almost 3 full times while prerunning the 1000 and they are going over the frame looking for damage.) I would rather use the road book myself, it's closer to what I'm used to, but if I'm going to continue co-driving SCORE events I need the GPS experience. I keep looking for bike lines forgetting the car won't fit there!:D
  7. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Was it just google maps or did you use another App?
  8. Maineroot

Maineroot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We used MotionX GPS app.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Did a photo shoot yesterday to begin the documentation of the race car. Because of the limited amount of time before the race, we've got about 90 days to re-wire, re-plumb, re-fresh the engine & tranny, have new glass made, so we are basically doing a race prep. Full restoration will begin after this year's race. There is some interest form a couple of different mags to use what we are doing as a full blown feature article!

The car at the photo shoot:

[​IMG]

Uber trick video camera:

[​IMG]

Pulling the side body panel off. Kid of different as its only one panel for the entire side:

[​IMG]

Super trick rear suspension and linkage:

[​IMG]

Got our work cut out eh??
  10. juice

juice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in again this year with some buddies coming to drive support truck. Hoping wih a fresh engine my xr will make it the entire way. Looking forward to having a good time!
  11. roadracer

roadracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Up to 15 paid motorcycle entries so far!

Anyone remember how many we had last year around this time?
  12. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
  13. roadracer

Oddometer:
    Thats disappointing then. I didn't expect we'd have less entries than last year.
  14. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know of 8 MC that have not entered yet
    Excluding my self and my son so that will be +10
  15. roadracer

Oddometer:
    Actually, there were only 23 total paid entries last year, not 23 at this time of the year.

I hope we can hit 30 bikes.
  16. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes, my apologies. I thought the question was total entered.

I would say have no fear... more are coming. The press release that just came out said 80 (total) entries so far... so they're at 80% of last year's total in just 10 days? Yeah, way more are coming.

Anders
  17. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun Fun Fun !!!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Racer20

Racer20 East West Racing

Oddometer:
    Count me in, I just have a few more beer cans to return and should have enough $$$$ next week.. :1drink

Looks like no more rooms in Bay of LA ?
  19. Idahombre

Idahombre Likes easy girls!

Oddometer:
    Count another moto rider here. I plan on running in MMO. Holding off until March to pay my entry.
  20. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    I'll probably sign up this weekend or next week but def. going to be there.