Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I know around these parts, there's pretty much a race a weekend till mid-Dec.

I just signed up for Hyattsville. Still gonna get my rear end handed to me in the 3/4 field cause I don't wanna get up, drive, get ready for the 35+ 3/4 race. :nah

M
  2. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you folks do for a warm up if riding isn't an option?

I live in a valley, the sea is at the end and eff off hills surround us, there's no where to ride a bike gently for two minutes let alone ten to get the muscles warm and the rhythm going!

Jump on, clip in and after 400 yards pedal hard up a Cat 3 climb :eek1

Any suggestions from the collective?

Thanks,

-Simon
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Do like the pros do and warm up on a trainer :dunno
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    start the hill spinning easy in granny gear ? :dunno
  5. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Anybody recommend a good 700 rear wheel? Baltimore ate mine. :bluduh
  6. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    Continental Gatorskins are really tough. go up a size for better durability (28c instead of 25c, or whatever). for 700c hybrid tires, I like the Specialized Nimbus in sizes like 35 or 38.

edit: oh wait, you said wheel. not tire. hahahaah. I've heard very good things about Velocity's wheels, and am thinking of getting a set for my bike. for durability and strength, go 36 spoke.
  7. TheNedster

TheNedster Lurkapotamus

Oddometer:
    Fulcrum Racing 7 CX. They've survived bouncing along the dirt trails carrying 210 lbs. of yours truly with no issues. They won't break the bank, either.
  8. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    speaking of.... whats the skinniest rim I can reasonably run fatty tires like 700x35 on ? I'd like to get wheels I could use anything from like a 28 to a 35 on.

what tire sizes to cx riders run? ah,k, the fulcrom 7 cx says up to 35c.

and, hmm. do the decals come off those fulcrum wheels or is the logo etched/screened on ?
  9. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I may have a deal for ya

M
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    No pics of me (that I saw) but here's what Applecross looked like

Link

M
  11. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't say what type of gearing (modern or threaded cassette) you have, but, these are fairly inexpensive:

Black Velocity 36H

Silver Velocity36H

Black Mavic 36H

Silver Mavic 36H

Fulcrum Racing 7 at $249

Velocity Chukker are really strong, but, mostly SS.

I'd say 15mm.

High-end, racing wheels will be ~13mm. Cyclocross and commuter wheels will be 15-18mm. 29er MTB wheels will be ~20mm.

I've run 40mm, on my Tricross (16mm). But, I've seen a 50mm, 29er MTB tire on a Tricross, too.
  13. Chisenhallw

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips - I apologize for not providing more data. I was ticked off when I wrote that last night. This is for my daily commuter, a 2010 Specialized Sirrus. 700c, 32h, 8 gears inna back. Need something double-walled and durable.
  14. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
  15. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    hmmm. the CX appropriate rims on velocity were like 21-24mm wide. 29er blunts were like 35mm wide or something.

re: the OP, any wheels in the $100 a pair range are going to be the same cheap junk that came on your Cirrus and will die the same way. my Globe has those same cheap 1" wide 700c hybrid wheels on it. if/when mine sproing, I'm looking to upgrade to something like cross wheels. I'm running 35m tires now, but if I get my weight down, I'll probably drop to 32 or even 28 so I wanted to be sure I could get away with that range.
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Outside widths.

What I listed were bead widths, or what is generally listed on the rim label.
  17. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so... anyone got any experience with Velocity Dyad rims? they seem like the right mix to me for what I'll want once my crappy stockers start to go... basically a touring wheelset for my hybrid.

*WHY* do all these brands like Fulcrum insist on splashing their graphics all over things?!? I don't mind a small tasteful label, but to cover the whole rim in giant letters like its a sponsored race thing :huh
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    none personally, but I've heard good things about em. I DO have a coupla pairs of Escape rims. They're good too.

You just answered your own question

M
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    5055 as of yesterday. How about that, I've been over 5000 miles on this bike. That's pretty goddam cool! Anyway, that was 348 miles, not great but not bad. I didn't have much of a chance to ride with the club, so most of those are solo. I'm at 2705, 80 miles ahead of my schedule. I should be at 2625.
  20. YakSpout

YakSpout Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty reasonably priced wheelset. Ask Gummee about the MSRP on his Zipps. :rofl

Interested in learning about lacing/truing? You can buy a rim and spokes pretty cheaply and relace the wheel. :dunno

I'm thinking of giving it a shot with my tweaked Shimano rear wheel. What could possibly go wrong?