TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jetpoweredmonkey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Yes and No
    A EFI engine can run fine without a high(er) velocity in the throttle bodies.
    Because it automaticly adjust it's fuel to the ammount of air that is sucked in to the engine.
    But to make an engine run more smooth in the lower or mid/range if you immediatly open the throttle, you will need a smooth alteration in air velocity.
    That's why secondary valves are used..

here some more about the secondary's

Secondary throttle valves....There are many thoughts on just what the heck they do. Some say it's for noise abatement, others think they just get in the way and affect the true performance of the bike and some would just rather remove them.

Since the introduction of fuel injection, we no longer require a pressure drop through a ventury to pull fuel from a fuel bowl, and introduce it into the engine. We have a fuel pump that sends pressurized fuel to fuel injectors, and thanks to IC chips, and sensors, we can spray the fuel into the engine. No need for fancy needle jets, main jets, primary jets, and airbleed jets. Never mind making sure the fuel level in the carb bowls is the correct height.

There is one thing that's important with the CV carburetor and that's how it keeps the air velocity constant through the intake ports regardless of throttle position. If you ever had flat slide carbs, and immediately opened the throttle, you would notice that the engine would take a big gulp of air, and hesitate, or even stall. Accelerator pumps were introduced to keep this in check. So, in regards to keeping air velocities constant especially at lower engine rpms, one concept for a fuel injected engine is to add separately controlled throttle plates that can move independently from the main throttle plates. This way, if the throttle plates are opened quickly, air velocity will drop, but with the Secondary Throttle plates lagging just behind, can keep the air velocity up, and help with atomization of the fuel injected into the engine. of course if you are racing the bike, and it never sees rpms below 6 to 7,000 rpms, there is no sense on having the secondary throttle plates there, and can be removed for some added increase of air. Most of us don't race, and use the engine through a wide range of rpms, and with the STV's installed really doesn't detract from performance, but keeps it more tractable

On a german KTM forum they did a test with installed/removed 2nd valves on a dyno with a 990sm.
    With the valves removed it did run a little bit smoother on the low rpm's but it did loose some power on top??:huh .
    With the valves installed again, the power output on top was back to "normal".
    They could reproduce it by removing/installing the 2nd valves.

My sugestion is to set the 2nd valves in the TuneEcu a little bit more open in the 2nd throttle map on the low rpm's.
    But don't remove them.
    Deviant666 and Ridge like this.
  2. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I'll look into it with tune ecu and tune boy. Maybe we can use our collective information when you stop in CB sometime. I am looking for a logging alternative. I think your initial way of logging is the best, but not really usable by everyone.

It would be cool to know the important info and what a decent sample rate is.
  3. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Glad to help if I can. True the hard-wired method is not that easy to implement for everyone and the dedicated loggers can get expensive unless you are in the tune biz, and I'm not. If I could have gotten all the sensor signals from an OBD2 interface I'd have done that instead of the PIA hard-wiring stuff. Used what was available and affordable at the time.
  4. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Looks like I need to finish putting my TechEdge WBO2 + logging together.... but it like the other units doesn't look at OBDII signals.

My EFI project is getting closer to being a reality, especially now that the TuneECU app was "found" and that it plays with existing hardware.
  5. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    It seems a few people have got (or are getting) this cable and software, I was just wondering if anyone has submitted the tunes to Tom or Alain who write the software? I ask as there seems to be a real lack of tunes listed for the Adventure (http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html). KTM have released at least 5 more maps that I know of that aren't listed.

When I did my Triumph (same FI ECU) back in 98/99 I found it a great help to study the differences Triumph made to the different tune versions before making any changes myself.

So this is a kind-a reminder / kick-up the ass to upload and save your current tune and submit it to the page above, as it helps us all out.
  6. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    I am sure that this will be changing soon considering the support for the KTM was recently made possible.

7. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    5 more what ...maps?
    Thx
    JC
  8. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    Yes. Thanks, just re-worded my post to be clear.
  9. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    I tried them both tonight. Tune Ecu is pretty sweet. It works with the cable I got for tune boy too.

Here are some notes I noticed:
    1. map files are about half the size in TuneEcu when saved from ECU (compared to tuneboy maps)
    2. The map UI on TuneEcu is sweet, way better than tune boy.
    3. Both work on Win7 64bit
    4. Can't really do any "tests" in either of them. Mostly it appears its reading sensor data, which is limited in both. Still pretty good though.
    I am sure head2wind has better opinions than me, since I bought the tuneboy cable from him. I have not tried to load a map through TuneECU. I only saved my current map.
  10. nevermind

nevermind know when to fold 'em, know when to run

Oddometer:

Hey G,

I'd be glad to step into the learning process here and give this a whirl! Check your PM's for my email address...
  11. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    Do you have to do the mythical "cold engine, 15 min idle trick" after loading a new map?
  12. cyborg

Oddometer:

grinns, which bike were you able to get the ECU tune from? On KTM990 Tuneboy can only write maps to the ECU but cannot read and save maps that are already on the ECU. Is TuneECU able to do that (read/save from ECU) on the KTM990?
  13. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    cyborg....

From what I've read on the superduke forum and the tuneECU site is yes you can save the map loaded on the ECU.

That is what one of the many nice features of the software.

It sure would like to have the original 07 map that came loaded on my bike, the fuel range was a bit better than the updated stock map i have now.

I will save mine and send it to the tuneECU site when i get my cable. It sure would be nice to see a few more maps for the Adventures there so a person could at least compare them.

While out riding the other day i was thinking about what i would like in a map for my bike would be....

Tuned for fuel economy at say 20 percent throttle the 4-5000 rpm range.
    With a smooth transition from closed to 20 percent throttle.

Got one laying around...:D
  14. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    TuneECU can. If you want to stop by and see fri, or saturday yell. I am putting new 02 sensors in the bike. Found one bad after I got this setup.
  15. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! You have PM
  16. Jim Colombotos

Jim Colombotos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info regarding the five ecu maps ....
    To my limited knowledge KTM has two (restrictive and non -restrictive) for standard 09+ 990 Adv.
    and two (restrictive and non -restrictive) for 09+ 990 R Adv.
    Guess they also have multiple maps for 07-08 bikes too?

Any idea what year and setup ie stock exhaust the five maps you are referring to a for?
  17. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    3 different versions for the stock exhaust, and 2 for the Ack exhaust. To my (dealers) knowledge, all those are US maps are 06 to 09. I am not sure how many 09 maps there are.
  18. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    this software is fantastic. i save my oem map then imported my pc3 map, plus a few other tweeks. balanced my tb's and adjusted my tps. it works flawlessly. many many thanks alain and tom. i also reported a problem last night and today they come out with a new release to fix the problem. these guys are pure enthusiast with one goal. helping our community without being profit driven.
  19. seppami

seppami 990 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I've used tuneboy for tuning ktm:s on my dyno and I'm very interested about this tuneEcu. I have not installed it yet but those who have, can you tell:
    1. Is there possibility to tune map for secondary butterfly valves?
    2. Can O2 sensors be disabled by tuneEcu?

And I was also told, that tuneboy cable works with tuneECU. Anyone tried?
  20. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    -Second butterfly map?: YES
    -O2 sensor disable?: YES
    -Tuneboy cable works?: Yes the tuneboy USB cable will work