KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:lol3

That's good stuff right there.
  2. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    That's what I have on the rear right now, and IMO the handling is absolutely dreadful off anything but pavement. Will the K60's work with the stock wheel (since I see they are tubeless)?

Like I said I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to motersickle tires :ear

Any other suggestions? Something that wears well on the road would be nice.
  3. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    They are a bit more pricey than alot of tires, but I feel the Tkc 80 is the best all around(50/50) tire for the Klr.
  4. D-Stylz

D-Stylz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One trip on the WABDR with the TKC 80s and I'll never by them again. My rear was shot after 700 miles and I'll be lucky to get 2k miles with them. :huh
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Wow, you must have been hard on them, they usually last longer than that even on a big gs.
    You must ride like a animal !! LOL !!
    I don't think that is the norm for most Klr riders.
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    What 50/50 tire do you prefer ? And how well does it perform and hold up ?
  7. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
  8. Nitro1970

Nitro1970 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the IRC GP-1 for 50/50... The rear didn't last as long as I hoped (2900 miles) but they did good while they lasted
  9. Myfuture_yourdebt

Myfuture_yourdebt Banned

Oddometer:
    Shinko 244 rear tires have been great for me. They've lasted me 6-7k and are a true 50/50 tire in performance on the street and in the dirt. And their dirt cheap. Some people have had problems with them I know. But I've had three 5.10x17s and never had any issues except throwing knobs if I don't break them in right (don't go above 75 for the first 500 miles, not hard on a KLR).

I paired them with a Kenda Triple up front which wore just as long despite all the street miles. This combo really made my KLR a beast offroad compared to running any less aggressive tire on the front. I once paired the Triple with a Trackmaster II on the rear which increased the room for error offroad and handled loose hill-climbs better than the 244...but it wore out in 2k miles and wasn't really worth the dough and hassle of changing out the rear tire so quickly. I really only appreciate a true knobbie (not a D606) on my KLR when it's on the front.
  10. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    For the record, it'll probably be 70 street, 30 offroad. I just want something that'll wear good on the street so I won't have to buy a new set every few months, but something I can use offroad when I feel adventurous.
  11. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
  12. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    What dip you guys think a fair price for a 07 KLR is? Its kinda beat up. Clutch and brake levers are busted off, rear shock is shot, seat foam feels shot, bike is filthy and has been left outside for what I can assume has been all its life. It has 20k on it. Its a friend of mine and he won't give me price he just wants me to make a offer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  13. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    $900
  14. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Given the details you have, and knowing that I paid $1200 for a 2001 in pretty decent shape with 14k miles on it, I don't think I'd start any higher than $750.
  15. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I paid $2500 for an '07 in pretty good condition with 13k miles.
  16. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

I feel the TKC 80 is the best for any dualsport. I run them on my GS, DRZ and KLR.

Awesome tires

[​IMG]
  17. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    The best price is always the one you are happy to pay for what you are getting. Average cost of various bikes varies so much depending on your local market it is impossible to say. Look up some adds in your area and you should get an idea. Some think I paid too much for mine, but I know it was a fair deal in my area. But the most important thing is I'm happy and have no regrets paying what I did.
  18. Yokomo

Oddometer:
    TKC's are good for ratbikes and streetfighters.

[​IMG]

I would of put them on my SV, but they want WAY too much for them.
  19. rhlrdr

rhlrdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it would depend somewhat on what bikes are bringing in your area. I paid 2500$ for a well equipped 07 with less then 5000 miles on it. I don't think any more than $1500 would be resonable and I think that might be to high depending on what you need to do to it to make it work good.
  20. newcastleadam

newcastleadam Artful Tagger

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I'd go that high, most likely other issues hiding under the dirt and inside the case. Provided it has a title of course.

edit

Just noticed you're in Cape Coral. We've got a few project bikes in the works, one a 93 650 that just needs the gas tank resealed if you're interested. If not, welcome to swing by and we can go over the finer points of KLR ownership and maintenance. Over beers naturally.