V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks. looking at some western routes, man, i'd like to get back out there.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

the OEM Buell headlight is still available, new and used, at modest prices. if you want to source a new Buell, just ask the question up in the "Beast" subforum, ADV guys know about everything there is to know about motos and part sourcing. if you find a used Buell headlight, determine the condition of the reflectors before buying. the reflectors can get tarnished depending on where the bike was used, and i suspect salt spray as the culprit. there are also twin headlight assemblies similar in appearance to the Buell.

on my moto, i wired dedicated fused circuits for both the lights and power outlets. the wiring is all oversized tinned marine grade, and runs directly to the battery. all connections are soldered, coated with liquid electrical coating, shrink wrapped, and enclosed in corrugated wire loom casing. the fuse holders are fully enclosed marine grade.

the auxiliary lights are completely independent of the OEM main lighting circuits and switches. the dedicated circuit also powers the relay/switch/pilot light, there is no cross connection with any other power circuit on the bike. i also installed an unused 20A marine grade toggle on the dash complete with matching connectors for redundency in the case of mishap.

i have two power outlets on the bar rise, both dedicated and fused separately, also connected directly to the battery. yes, the circuits are hot whether the bike is running or not, an advantage.

any new electrical work you do on the moto should be of the same quality as the OEM, if not better.
  3. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your electrical system thanks you:D
  4. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Well, if you get as far as Oakland, CA, give a holler.
  5. xs904

xs904 Ready to scramble.

Oddometer:
    If you can show me some good close up photos of the pins, we probably have these at work. If we do I could mail you some.
    I dont know about anyone else, but I hate to see joints in wires. If I can avoid it I use the correct pins.

Rob
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    yeah, maybe, but the flip side is found when you're way the heck out there, the 44s pointing the way.

from the Yukon border, September 2011...

I can’t say I’ve gotten used to running this fast in total darkness, the only lights on the face of the earth are pointing right out the front of the bike. This road is off the grid, there’s no one out here anyway, and you can’t see a single light all the way to the horizon in any direction, no moon, no stars. I rode in Labrador in similar conditions and described it as running a moto through a coal mine, total blackness.

I changed my driving lights to ADVmonster 44 LEDs before this trip, and those lights were blazing out the front, incredible reflective range. With everything lit, I could see anything in the road almost ¾ of a mile away. The reflective shoulder stakes were lighting up at one mile, damn, these things are bright, now was not the time to run smack into a bear or buffalo. No real surprise, I suddenly had another bright light in front of me, the low fuel warning light, and I backed down another notch.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    will do, i need an autographed copy of the "Bible".
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks for the offer, but the connector with pigtail in the photo is the OEM Versys tail light connection that KLRsys cut off the end of his Versys wiring harness and mailed to me. KLRsys was kind enough to extend a 100% solution to that little problem, can't get any better than that.
  9. xs904

xs904 Ready to scramble.

Oddometer:
    No problems JD, been a long time fan of your work. You have excellent skills in building. I did look at building one on this side of tbe pond, but they want 3k for a wreck over here,and the insurance are getting funny over anything non standard here. Probably go Africa Twin now.
    Still enjoy your ride reports though, you have a writing style thats easy on ths eye.
    If I can ever lend a hand, drop a line.

Rob
  10. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Come on out. Maybe wait until July though. Its a nice enough fall, but still a little chilly for the moto.

David
  11. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I can get you one in time to go in your stocking. :deal
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    let's see if i can translate that Montana speak...

"there's 2 feet of snow on the ground, it's -10, the gravel roads are only half plowed, so if ya come out now, bring the Christini...and a snowmobile suit."
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that would beat the coal the Boss has planned.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks, a rider can never have too many great resources. the USA is bike builder heaven, everything required is available and cheap. for $3000 USD, you could build several rat bikes in the States.

i made up the connections with the OEM tail light pigtail and started wiring in the new three pairs of lights, man, i'm liking those lights already.
  15. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:

LOL, not that bad. Mostly open winter so far, plus or minus 32 degrees. -David
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that's exactly what i thought, give or take a minus 70 windchill.

V649HP back on the road tomorrow.
  17. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    You're as bad as a news reporter, taking things out of context. :deal In other words the average temp is about 32, warmer during the day, and cooler at night. :lol3 Some folks need it spelled out exactly. -david
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that's bad...you're damn lucky my matched set of duelling pistols is packed away.
  19. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    lol I'm not very good with pistols. I'll have to be more diplomatic. :D How was the ride today?
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    good ride, the bike still runs. had it out without the usual load of junk on the back, not even a tail bag or tank bag. feels real light, and even taller. i can just get my toes down.