Land Rover Lust!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mav, Jul 30, 2009.

1. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    It'll no doubt be the 2.8 TGV engine...if you're not aware, a derivative of the 300tdi made in Brazil.

M and D Engineering import them into the UK.

Once tuned a nice hop up kit to replace a tired 300tdi.

I see though,these days there's the odd 3.2 diesel from the Ford Ranger pick up, getting fitted into Puma's....200bhp standard I think..don't know what it'd show after chipping :evil

:D
  2. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We needed a more comfortable set of wheels with a bit more power than the 13 year old Honda CR-V so I just bought a bigger white box in the form of a 2007 Land Rover LR3. Its a vast improvement over the 1996 Discovery I used to own and the 600 mile shake down run to retrieve it from St Louis proved it's a great road car that can get around 18.5 mpg. So far I'm liking this luxury FWD. This is either my 16th or 17th Land Rover in an ownership line that stretches out over the past 41 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    ^^^ congrats!
    Finally some evidence that I'm not the only nut job.
  4. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Thinking of buying an L322 Range Rover probably 02-03.

Thoughts?

I would really like to bid on one these (scroll down for the Landies) though but got a no from the wife.
  5. ahebron

ahebron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
  7. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. damoace

damoace PinderBilt

Oddometer:
    Recently I sold on my 300Tdi Discovery that had a hard life before I got hold of it and pressed it into service as a work horse:

[​IMG]

and plaything:
    [​IMG]

And after a break just long enough to clean the oilstains from the driveway, Mrs. Ace fell in love and we have a new incumbent. One that is even more incontinent and even less confortable. May I introduce Gertie the 1979 SIII Lightwieght. Or airpotable. Or half-ton.
    Formerly belonging to Royal Marines of 45 Commando and demobbed in 2002, it was christend Gertie by Mrs.Ace on first sight. An ignominious end to a doubtless glittering career!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its an FFR (Fitted For Radio) variant that's been converted back to 12volt operation. It's mostly complete and needs only a new Canvas top in the short term. We think it was originally a light Sand colour and SWMBO is thinking about a repaint, should the de-mob records show 'Light-Sand' as the proper colour - I suspect it went to the desert at some point as well as serving in Germany during last of the Cold War years - We'll know more when the searches come back.

In the meantime, I get to spanner it back into shape but not drive it. At 6'4", I dont fit in any of the old Series motors. Years ago, a spiteful 2A dislocated my shoulder quite badly whilst trailling. It stung enough that I'll leave driving them about to the lucky buggers who are small enough to fit behind the wheel. :D

At least until I get power steering installed..:evil

Luckily, the largest UK Land Rover show is on next weekend. You may well find me shambling about in the auto jumble area at Billing Aquadrome. Mumbling about Oil-Bath air filters, PAS conversions and footwell repair panels.... :rofl

'Please Sir? Can I have my Disco back?
  9. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What have you done! (insert epic face palm icon here)
    said in jest from one disco owner to a (previous) other!

Hay Ewe
  10. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
  11. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. AerialCameras

AerialCameras Awkward Boner

Oddometer:
    That's very big of you to say that.

On topic however, i think I'm coming down with disco fever. I think I'm going to pounce if..err..when fuel spikes again. It seems like a good solution for my need of four doors for the occasional nights out with friends.
  13. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Why wait till the fuel spikes again?
    Get one now and enjoy it for longer!

Hay Ewe
  14. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    I was looking for a time to get another Defender to use for bringing in wood for the winter and for my Son to drive. As he's just passed his permit I wanted something slower than a 'boy racer' car so as he can get road experience,and something solid in case he does prang it.

I scooted across to the UK last week to buy a really clean and straight ex Army 110 FFR with a 200tdi engine in it.

The chassis shows no sign of any rust apart from powder stuff when you rub your hand over it. It's 1986 and LHDrive and has only 96,000kms in it's 27 year history!

I drove it back some 1400kms mostly by autoroute at 100kph with an average of 10l/100kms(24 US mpg)....not too bad for a traveling brick.

I brought tow loads of wood in today and will get more tomorrow.

I will add a few bits and bobs to it as I dial it in for what I need it to do.... I have to get bolts for my NATO tow hitch to enable me to tow my Sankey trailer...and a new bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier to keep the weight off the rear door.

In the meantime here's a few snaps....

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

15. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  16. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    The 200tdi engine pulls the Sankey ex army trailer with out any problems....

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

17. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    Mine just blew it's power steering pump.
    Always joy and happiness!

:bluduh
  18. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to try www.paddockspares.com for a replacement ??

You can order on line ...Find the part number and you're good to go. Don't know what the prices compare to,to where you live..

That or even www.ebay.co.uk

A lot post worldwide these days...

Just'say'in like...

19. Schatzman

Schatzman I Saved Latin

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the market for an 02 P38 or the engine from it? It's a 4.6 with 160k on it. Head gaskets were done about 30k ago. I have had the car since I was 16 and it had 45k miles on it. I am sending it out to pasture and replacing it with a Mini Countryman S all4 and an M715 on a Dodge W250 frame and engine. I would like to see the engine carry on.
  20. Srbenda

Srbenda Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer:
    The mechanic has a used pump and box for $450, which is less than those funny pound prices on paddock.

Still, it's a pricey repair.