Side for sale in Charlotte, NC.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by dbarale, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Not mine. No relation to the seller.

[​IMG]

It's on Craigslist Charlotte...
  2. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Looks like one of the Russian Jupiter cars. Yikes!
    Buy a velorex and be done with it unless it's less than $300.00
    Robert
  3. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    It's the Sputnik, which superseded the Jupiter. I like them better than the Velorex cars I have seen. The Sputnik is all metal, there is more room in the tub and the chassis and mounts a little stouter than the Velorex. They are a little rattley and, like most East European/Rus products, the finish can be a little cobbley, but they are sound, solid sidecars. If it were closer to me, I'd snap it up!
  4. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Less than $300? Not quite:

This is a 1968 steel body sidecar that has never been mounted. it's russian made and will fit on any bike. has 2 ball joint mounts and 2 stabilizing arms. it needs a little work from sitting outside for awhile. email with questions or directions. $1000.00

:eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

There is also a Goldwing hack for sale for $4800:

[​IMG]
  5. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    $1000 is not too far out of line. I don't see the tonneau, fender light or windshield, none of which seem to be available anymore. That they are missing makes me suspect that this is used, not new old stock. If it has been sitting outside the upholstery may be tatty. If he came down a couple of hundred it would be a good deal.

Dauntless has the bits to convert the ball and collet bottom mounts to hiem joints. This sidecar fits well on the KLR and makes an excellent dualsport rig.

I had one on my Tiger, also. I loved that rig! It was a little light for that bike and I had Jay make stronger struts. I also upgraded the axle and the swingarm, but that wouldn't be necessary on a lighter bike or with a more prudent riding style. :D

[​IMG]
    Sputnik on the Tiger

[​IMG]
    Sputnik on the KLR. I believe I paid $1000 for this one
  6. Scott Davis

Scott Davis Which way did they go?

Oddometer:
    $1000.00

this is a 1968 steel body sidecar that has never been mounted. it's russian made and will fit on any bike. has 2 ball joint mounts and 2 stabilizing arms. it needs a little work from sitting outside for awhile. email with questions or directions. $1000.00 <TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[​IMG]</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 1027128678
  7. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    Another thing these are good for is tacking on a Ural or Dnepr. They should mount right up and are lighter and more aerodynamic than the Ural tub, allowing you to eke a little more performance out of the beast
  8. Scott Davis

Scott Davis Which way did they go?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Red!
    I am considering it for my wifes Pegaso 650. That should work real nice, but $1000 for this one?? Looks pretty rough to me.

Scott
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    The Sputniks are decent sidecars for what they are.
    Windshields, if one wants one, woudl have to be fabricated on a modified mount as the originals had some pretty wild curves in them where they mount to the body.
    They sit quite high which is fine for a dual sport but can be lowered pretty easily if desired.
    Bodies do tend to rattle as Vernon mantioned.
    $1000 bucks may not be the deal of the century but it is a fair price.
  10. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was really looking for a Sputnik when I ran across the Friendship II I have on my GS now.
    For the record you can buy a new Sputnik windshield from these guys: http://www.bikescreen.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Sputniksidecar
    They have them in two different heights and fifteen or so different colors. I ran across this website when I was looking for a replacement windshield for my Friendship II and California Sidecars was being less than congenial about selling me a windshield.
  11. brosanc

brosanc WormGuy

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I talked with Jay & Claude about this before and after I went to look at it. The guy has had it for a few years and he said it came new in a crate. But, is has been stored outside ever since. Has several rusted through holes in the front lower pan. The seat and cover are rotted and 6" dent on the front hood. Other then that it almost perfect :lol3 it is located about 40 miles ne of raleigh, NC
    Good Luck !
    B
  12. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    craigslist speak this = "...needs a little work from sitting outside for awhile..."

:rofl

$200, tops