Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had a great evening last night at the Driftwood Pizza Shack, as one of the owners broke out his guitar and sang Irish songs, before a Local guy arrived to sing Reggae. It was great!

Left Hopkins, Belize this morning. Sam will be staying over to enjoy the beach, and socializing at the driftwood Pizza Shack. Road the 170 miles to Tikal Area in Guatemala. Settled into a hotel, set up an english tour of the ruins for the am.

Sam and I talked a great deal about the highlights and challenges of riding in Mexico together for the last 7 weeks. We had a great journey together, and will take us both a little time to adjust to being on the road alone. No one to share the "did you see that" moments in the evenings. New steps for both of us!!

I have internet but not enough to Upload photos or my report.... Will have to wait a couple days....

2. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I can't wait a couple of days. Get crackin'! :deal

Put up as many pics as you can. You'll appreciate it when you look over your own RR in the future. The RR is for you; we're just invited guests :lol3
  3. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Radioman, here is wishing you and Sam safe travels on the balance of your journey alone.
  4. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    After seven weeks, any changes you would suggest for setting up your bike or items you might have overlooked?
  5. Radioman

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Cyclepath";17452777]After seven weeks, any changes you would suggest for setting up your bike or items you might have overlooked?[/QUOTE]

Always a good question. My 800GS is a good choice for me. Traveling down here I would say smaller is better :D

As I planned to be gone round the world, I have extra tools, extra Tire (Sam heard it enough....wish I had not carried it, until I switch it out and will be glad I have the tire) running K60 Heindenau that has worn very well. I have over 7,000 miles and still have at least 1,000 to go!!) This is the same tire that I bought in Labrador Canada that I had on my 1150GS. Road 1,800 + miles then put it on my 800 for the rest of the miles. Have been impressed!!

The rest of the gear I have will be needed along the way. I did not bring camping gear other than a sleeping back with liners I have not needed it yet. But South America that might change.

Other than that I really did travel light for a guy who has 3 camera's and audio recorder, computer, Ipad etc. Could have eliminated one of these, but like to read while on the road.
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Patience Grasshopper..... Internet at the La Casa Don David cannot upload photos. I am here for two nights..... 5:30 I head out to the ruins:D
  7. dutchjohn

dutchjohn Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    HI Radioman, I rode with Sam this last Labor day on the IAMC Cascade lake ride, Sam is a top notch person that I was happy to ride with,. I have read your story from page one and before, I hope with all my hart that YOU FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ! and that the world that you find over the next few moments, is a place of love and peace!
    All we have are memories of the things we do and people we love! have fun, be safe, hope one day our paths cross.
    will be watching and praying. GOD BLESS DutchJohn
  8. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,

Wonderful trip so far. Keep enjoying!:D
  9. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    So much good stuff..........and you've just hit your 2nd border crossing :clap I really enjoyed your Mexican wrap-up. I'm going to extend an invitation to Sam to stop in at Casa IceCream on his way home. Very happy for you.
  10. paulotex

paulotex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for this post! I liked it so much, it is really helpful.
  11. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the recap it was interesting to read your thoughts about Mexico.

Looking forward to the next part of this journey as your venture out alone. :lurk
  12. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to enjoy Guatemala's DORADA beer - nice and cold.
    Great Country !!!
    Enjoy it.
  13. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have been following you and Sams travles, it has been a great ride so far. Your writing style and openess has me beliving that I know you and Sam personally and looking forward to our daily updates. The way you compared the US of 30+ years ago to the Mexico of today is interesting and has me longing for the " good old days" of before. Thank you for taking us with you on your travles, ride safe.:wave
  14. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    ...still great stuff, Mark. Thanks for taking the time to share. Luke and I want to meet up with you in Bolivia :deal

Or was it South Africa??
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Better book a ticket soon. :ricky >Would be great to have you come on down.
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul. He would appreciate that!! Not sure his route back to Idaho (and neither does he!!).
  17. raceu2

raceu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "MEXICO"

Very well said. I have always felt like I was going back in time when I go to Mexico.
    I also have to learn to slow down. Great story going, keep it up.:nod

18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Had a couple more thoughts on Mexico. Life for many Mexicans is much more simple (not all the gadgets and stuff), but of course hard as well. They work hard to make a living.

As I continue the journey I will comment of the countries I visit as I see it. Even riding through Guatemala you see the people live a more basic life and poverty is almost half the population.

In the end we are all human being that have desire to be loved, family and life. Language and culture really do not change this. I see lots of smiles while riding these places. Warms my heart when I cannot imagine growing up and living in some of the conditions that I have seen.

I am in Lanquin, Guatemala tonight (to see Semuc Champey) as the rain pours down. Have a 6 mile gravel/ Mud road to see the sights then another 6 Miles of rough, muddy and steep road out..... could be interesting tomorrow :deal
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    We stayed in Bacalar our last night in Mexico. Alan the owner is Canadian/mexican and has really been of great help. As I took a walk about town I saw my first other F800GS bikes. These two guys were from Mexico City and on a two week ride.

[​IMG]

Sam with Alan before we took off.

[​IMG]

Heading to the border of Belize was just half hour away. We were sticking with our plan. Good nights rest, stay fairly close to the border, get through early in the day. Happened to be a Sunday morning.

[​IMG]

Stopped to check ourselves out of Mexico. I needed to just get stamped, Sam was coming back and the Immigration guy asked him for 200 Pesos, and handed him back his tourist visa so he could just return without doing any other paperwork.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Then I needed to get my bike checked out of Mexico so that I could get my $400 deposit returned to me. Found the place to park, got my documents and started the process.

[​IMG]

The customs woman came out to the bike and needed to take a picture on my Vin, and check it.

[​IMG]

Then I asked her to take a photo with all the paperwork.

[​IMG]

back to the office to process the paperwork, and get it into the computer .... All done in just a few minutes!

[​IMG]

Sam waiting patiently on the No mans land between Mexico and Belize.

[​IMG]

Over the bridge and into Belize where we will do the customs/Immigration thing all over again. :huh

[​IMG]

First we needed to purchase Insurance for Belize for $12 a day or $28 for a week.

[​IMG]

This guy did our paperwork. His computer was down so he did it by hand.

[​IMG]

Sam .... Paid in US and got some Belize dollars back. Since they were a British country...they still have the queen in the bills.

[​IMG]

Then up to the disinfection station. Think it was 5 Belize (or 2 us). he did a cursory spray on my tires.

[​IMG]

Then into Belize customs to get stamped and the bike imported.

[​IMG]

Since I was only staying a couple days en route to Guatemala, the stamped me a "transito" and I was fairly fast. Sam made the mistake of saying he was going to stay 3-7 days. They just did not like this and after awhile, they gave him just 6 days:huh You can legally stay 30 but you just need to say that is what you want.

After I came back out I was directed to a guy changing money. Changed all my leftover pesos to Belize dollars through the chain linked fence. The rate was fairly good, so it works. Note the wad of cash he has to change from....

[​IMG]

Then with all the paperwork done, we passed through into Belize. took just about 1 1/4 hours...

[​IMG]

we headed south down the road, until we really got hungry. Found a great roasted Chicken place.

[​IMG]

The northern road out of the border was not much to look at.

[​IMG]

This town water tower where they can pump purified water to and it will give the twon drinking water.

[​IMG]

We road through a bit of rain on the way but it felt good. We ended up going through Belmopan the capital and then south on the Hummingbird hwy which was great ride through the mountains, then down to the coastlands.

The last few miles into Hopkins (a beach town) was rough dirt road.

[​IMG]

and we ended up here at the "drumming center". Simple Carribean style cabanas. one block from the beach.

[​IMG]

It was warm, so the first order was a old Belize beer:lol3

[​IMG]

Jabar who owns the place joined us.

[​IMG]

After we unpacked, we walked down a block to the beach, and to find the Driftwood Pizza Shack which is run by a Canadian Woman Denise and her Irish guy, Ollie. (Alan from Balacar told us to go there!!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad view :D

[​IMG]

Since this was our last night together, as I decided to go ahead and move onto Guatemala..... Needed to make sure Sam had a drink with an umbrella in it.

[​IMG]

Wahooo..... Has been a great ride to this point. We have gone through the trails and tribulations of traveling 4,000 + miles through Mexico together and tomorrow we will be starting new chapters of the ride on our own.

[​IMG]

Typical Beach houses along this beach.

[​IMG]

Lots more to tell as we had a great night reminiscing about the past 7 weeks of travel and all the experiences we had. It is always bitter sweet as you part ways. Moving onto different directions and experiences. :ricky but our plans have been different from the beginning..... so this is part of the journey.

20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Short Post on Belize, Since I just rode down to Hopkins and then headed for the border of Guatemala the next day.

[​IMG]

It rained heavy the night..... so everything was wet. But I packed up in the Morning and Sam and I had breakfast.

[​IMG]

I tried the "fry Jack" which was tasty.

[​IMG]

Was thinking I was done with " Topes" when I left Mexico.... But No. In Belize they call them Bumps.

[​IMG]

It was weird being in Belize and having people speak English instead of the last couple months of Spanish. But it was British so most people speak english.

Shook hands with Sam, wishing him safe and interesting travels.....

[​IMG]

Then I was off!

[​IMG]

got to the border around noon, ready for my third border crossing. Each one is different and you need to figure out where to go to Check yourself out of the current country, then get the bike checked out..... then over the border into the new country and check yourself and your bike in. Being rested, calm, and focused is important. As it has been hot and humid so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Walked into Belize Customs, they signed me out and I needed to pay 30 Belize ($15 USD) as a departure tax. Then the bike was stamped out. Then over to Guatemala.

First I get sent to have my bike sprayed down. Had to pay 12 Quetzales

[​IMG]

Then to another building to check myself into the country. Fortunately this was all in one spot. Snapped thsi photo and my flash went off. They guy gave me a bad look, but I told him I was just taking a photo of the sign.

[​IMG]

Oh, this was the wash down for vehicles coming into Guatemala. The directed me to ride down the sideway to the Manual station or I would go through the wash :lol3

[​IMG]

Had to get copies of my driver license, title, registration, passport etc. So i walk to the copy shop and got them done, but when I got back I realized that I had copies in my folder for everything he needed :lol3..... filled out the forms and then he told me his computer was down it would be 30-45 minutes.... So I waited by my bike. but in about 15 minutes he waved me back, and got my paperwork down.

Paperwork done. I am on my way with my official sticker.

[​IMG]

over a secondary bridge since the main was was under serious construction. Just a short 65 KM to E Remake which is the town on the way to Tikal.

[​IMG]

There was reportedly bad section of road that got very muddy with a steep uphill climb. Turns out there was a couple two miles stretches of rough road, that would be muddy but it was dry. The steep hill was paved..... It was a quick ride down to my hotel.

[​IMG]

Got to my Hotel and relaxed. It was $32 USD but had air conditioning and really nice people running this. I was going to be up at 5Am to catch a bus up to Tikal to see the ruins so it was worth it!

[​IMG]

Had a great dinner of grilled fish (complete fish), Not sure what kind as it is a local fish, but it was tasty.

[​IMG]