The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen some reviews concerned about the heat coming from the left side of the Super Ten. They've never ridden an ST1300 (even with the heat shield!).

My bike is a pre-owned. It came with two sets of keys. A long ignition key and a shorter key for the cases. Each has the black Yamana fob on the key.
  2. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I agree with you, those that think the S10 is hot have never ridden a ST1300. As I said, the previous owner must have had an extra key made for the luggage, as he was concerned about bending the ignition key. It doesn't have to be as long for the luggage. Try your ignition key (carefully) and if the luggage have the locks that came with the bike, the ignition key will open them. If it doesn't then those are not the locks that came with that bike. Some owners have bought pre owned Yamaha luggage and didn't get the luggage locks that come with every new S10.
  3. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new wheels. I too had a ST1300 and was looking for something lighter with more upright ergonomics. The Tenere has been a great bike to date for me and I hope you enjoy yours just as much!
  4. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Nope, its well beyond that stage ...:rofl
  5. ExpatADV

ExpatADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's useful info.

Cheers:freaky
  6. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Start with the free Clutch Switch Mod. If that's not enough for you and it is for most of us, do the ECU Reflash.
  7. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
    ~

Might want to do a bit of research on that "clutch switch mod" (also know as the CJM, or "clutch jumper mod") before you do more than a brief experiment with it... Ever since the ECU mapping got cracked via Flash-Tune it's been proven that the CJM has some potential consequences since it forces some odd ignition timing at WOT.

Lots of info over on the Super Tenere forum discussing the pros and cons.

The ECU re-flash has proven to be much more effective, and has fewer potential issues. Most folks who champion the CJM have simply never had the ECU re-flash, nor ridden a bike that has.

I've tried both, as have folks like Pluric, Twinrider, Tremor, Snakebitten, etc., etc., etc.... And the re-flash is light-years better than the CJM, and has no potential downsides. And if your really into doing your own tuning, then get the Flash-Tune ECU tap and do your own programming.

Just FYI... :wink:

Dallara

~
  8. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question: Changing handle bars and I can not remember which side is up on the 2 clamps that hold the bar, is it the "thicker" side up or other way around and does that really matter such as would it increase the vibrations if it would be the other way?
    Cheers!
  9. millesecond

millesecond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yup, thicker side up!!
  10. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Any idea if other way would cause extra vibrations in the handlebar :-?
  11. Superstar

Superstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or *have* ridden a flashed bike and are just galled at the thought of throwing $500 at a bike that should have been right for its $13K price.

Bottom line...stay out of WOT above 5K RPM and the CJM will do just fine.
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just as many owners will say they are happy with it stock. Don't even feel the need for the
    clutch mod. It's all about expectations. Obviously some are higher than others.

I for one had excepted the fact this was not a fire breathing large D/S bike and was okay with it.
    My original reflash corrected fueling issues and made the bike run smooth. Hiccup and surge free.

The second gen reflash made the bike run like I originally would have expected. Great power on tap
    at all times and actually put a smile on my face pushing it hard. There is no going back now.:D

$500 seems like a modest investment to me to get that kind of performance in return. A good slip on
    exhaust is almost twice that and won't give anything near the performance bump.

15 minutes on the Touratech site will eat up much more money in needless bolt on farkles that do nothing
    to really enhance the use of the bike.

I'm sorry, but the comment to not go above 5K rpm has me scratching my head. I understand it
    because pre reflash it really wasn't a game changer. Now it revs so willingly and gives such a reason
    to play in that zone why would anyone not want to?
  13. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't want to start another debate Cjm vs ECU Reflash, never did, just would like to be pointed in the right direction, regarding cjm issues.
    I guess I missed it.
    I've been using that fuse for some time, and never had any issue.
    Now I'm running stock, cause is keeping me away from wheelies :D but I was there... WOT in more than one occasion.

Edit: Found it!! Holly c... I knew there was a reason I took It out.

©
  14. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone I was looking around the net and found a question on another website about fitting a smaller oil filter to the Super Tenere for wheel ans skid plate clearance. Well it would seem that the Super Tenere uses the same filter as a large multitude of bikes so I looked around and apparently the 660R Raptor uses a filter that will screw on but is 12mm shorter. The Yamaha part number for the Raptor oil filter is 5DM-13440-00-00. This may not be correct though and I can't really verify at the moment but It is worth a shot if someone is inclined to try.

Also just wanted to say love the Super Tenere and it is most defiantly in the running for my next bike.:evil
  15. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Got my ECU flash last week. It did remove the restriction in the first gears (why did Yamaha put restriction in the first place?) so now it got good bottom end.
    Noticed a bit more torque mid range.
    Biggest change was the smoother gear changes and can now change gears without my pillion rider bump her head into my helmet, I like that.
    Unfortunately it did nothing for the vibration, when others wrote smoother I thought it meant less vibes but it was not the case :-( so my chase for less vibes continue but running out of options, thought this mods would have helped: Aftermarket muffler, CO adjustment, adjusted sync screws, heavy one pounder end bar weights, Flexx bars, foam grips, different bar angles, ECU flash. Have not tried the Rox anti vibe risers and what about synthetic oil?
    Spend too much money to sell it so I have to live with it until there is a bike that will suit me better.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I was one of the people who had the vibes improve after my reflash, now my throttle hand doesn't fall asleep. Did you verify that you got the latest ECUnleashed revised reflash?
  17. Red Dust

Oddometer:
    Think I asked about if it was the latest flash version, should be since ECUnleashed exist a bit everywhere, anyway the tuner said the others raved about it.
    I guess 30 years of riding start to catch up with my hands but having said that I personally think this bike vibrate more than many other I owned and definitely in the top of vibration kings in my book at least.
    Thought the bike was getting better and could even do 4 hours between fuel stops without major problems but since I started to fiddle with changing bars back & forth it became worse. My hands got a real shake up from the aftermarket ones and maybe they did not "heal" up before my trip today after putting the stock bars again, getting pretty quick to change bars now :-)
    Might as well continue anti vibe farkle and next up might be the vibranators and the 2 1/4" anti vibe bar risers from Rox also will get fresh foam grips and maybe other hand grips as well. Maybe my upcoming 6000 mile service will fix some vibes, I refuse to give hope as yet.
  18. platty

platty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Red

Just checking ... did you get your reflash done in WA ?
  19. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

While I have to echo Pluric's eloquent rebuttal... I also have to laugh, out loud, a lot... :lol3

At what price do you think Yamaha should charge for how the bike is delivered? $500 less? A thousand?

How do you feel about the Super Tenere not coming with a skid plate? Or less than perfect suspension? What about the rear rack that's more of an ornament than useful for carrying stuff?

Or would you rather have all the bells and whistles the Beemer WetHead has, and its claimed increased power - at a BMW price - even though you might sacrifice the Yamaha's bulletproof reliability?

Perhaps you buy bikes like people buy appliances... but I buy to help stir my soul, and to make the ride there more memorable than the destination. Not operate the bike at WOT above 5,000 RPM??? :lol3 You've really got to be kidding, right??? :lol3 You may want to ride like you're driving a school bus, but that's not me... Nor do I think it's the vast majority of the "adventure" bike buyers out there, or Super Tenere customers, either.

Do you bemoan the fact that some Super Tenere's came with Metzler Tourance EXP's while other came with arguably inferior Bridgestone Battlewing's? Do you claim Yamaha charged you too much because perhaps the stock seat doesn't work for you? Or the stock windscreen? Or stock handlebars? Perhaps I'm missing something, but I really don't hold a grudge against Yamaha because they didn't come consult me directly before release of the Super Tenere... I'm just glad they decided to sell it here!!! :D

But, hey... If you prefer a band-aid to a real performance improvement (let's not forget the many reports that the ECUnleashed Gen 2 re-flash also improves fuel economy) then by all means, go with the CJM... And when you ride off-road just ignore buying a decent skid plate and instead curse Yamaha for not giving you one in the $13-grand you paid... If the seat doesn't work for you by all means flip Yamaha the bird and suffer a sore bum and more frequent stops... If the bars make your wrists ache don't change 'em, just tell yourself it's too expensive and too much trouble to swap 'em and that you can live with it... All while riding around under 5,000 RPM and missing a lot of enjoyment of a truly magnificent motorcycle.

Yep, that's the answer!!! Curse the night and miss enjoying the day!!! :rofl

But me... I love my ECUnleashed re-flash... And my Parabellum windscreen... and my Penske shock and Stoltec-modded forks... not to mention both my Cee Bailey's *AND* Seat Concepts modded seats... Etc., etc., etc.!!! :evil

And imagine how friggin' pissed those BMW, KTM, and Multistrada owners must feel when they have to spend any $$$ to improve their bikes!!! :eek1

Dallara

~
  20. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:

I had horrible vibration problems when I first purchased my bike. It was putting my hands and feet to sleep. I honestly was concerned about nerve damage because it would take my hands a day or two to recover after an extended ride. I raised hell with the selling dealership and with Yamaha customer service and was told that there was nothing they could do. Quite often I was told here, "My bike doesn't do that, it must be in your head". In short, I know what you are going through.

You mention in your post your upcoming 6000 mile service. You would think that at this point your bike would be broken in but mine wasn't. I currently have about 17,000 miles on mine and I swear it gets a little smoother all the time. The tingling and numb hands are now a thing of the past. If I could offer two bits of advice. The first would be to ride your bike and ride it hard. Obviously don't abuse it but DO NOT baby it. I purposely shifted higher in the rev range to force the motor to break in. I also took it to the twisties near here where you tend to rev it higher and have constant rpm changes. It helped a lot. In fact, I noticed a marked improvement after a certain weekend chasing my buddies all over the mountains. Secondly, buy yourself a pair of Grip Puppies. I paid about $10 American but they are worth ten times that in terms of comfort.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1zgyt9fd96_b

I hope this works for you. I know how frustrating it can be.