Barn find TY175

Discussion in 'Trials' started by JRAM, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Xanthophyll

Xanthophyll Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  2. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    I know OFF TOPIC:ban

But I did look up your flicr account, some vry nice Bul's are shown there quite interesting!
    Any information about your Spanish ride?

And I have an idea why there was welded a second tube to the swing arm. The wheel base
    of the TY is very short as an improvement the swing arm can be extended about 25 -30mm.

Normally this is done at the end of the swing arm here it's done with the second axis
    very unusual construction.

I saw the other pic's of the Yamaha too ... Well ... this bike needs some serious rebuild ...
    thump's up that you will get it sorted ...
  3. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Hey- yes my first love are the Bultacos. I have a M85 Alpina 250cc (my favorite) and a 199A Sherpa T. I ride both regularly and enjoy them immensely. Lots of my riding friends also ride Bultacos- especially Alpinas. We like to explore off the beaten path, and for that they are perfect.

I did some sandblasting today on the muffler.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7581 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SSPX7584 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  4. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
  5. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Lately I've been working on the forks. It will need new dust boots and seals. Surpisingly the internals looked good as there was oil in there yet. The lower fork legs must have been polished and then clear coated. After many years they looked like crap. After cleaning I wet sanded with 1000 grit and then polished them. There are some deep scratches in the aluminum but I don't plan on a show bike. This one will be ridden.

[​IMG]
    001 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    003 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

Next up will be to sandblast the frame and swingarm.

[​IMG]
    frame by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  6. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice progress!
  7. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Man you must be from southern Minnesota my grandparents place in Hayfield was never that nice weather-wise in December :rofl good work on the refurb can't wait to see the finished bike:clap
  8. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Yep it's cold here but not much snow this year. On the plus side I have found that sandblasting outside in the winter is better than the summer. You already have a coat and gloves on, and I don't sweat under the blasting hood. One thing I picked up for this project is a hand held blaster gun. It is called a Speed Blaster and it works great. It has a hopper on top of the gun- so it is a constant supply of media. It works much better than my siphon blaster. You can go a couple of minutes before it runs out but that's OK for me because that gives my compressor a chance to keep up.

After sandblasting
    [​IMG]
    SSPX7595 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

Fresh Paint and start of assembly
    [​IMG]
    SSPX7598 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  9. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work, the bike is really coming along. I am not a big fan of vintage bikes, but I can appriciate a good restoration project.
  10. Xanthophyll

Xanthophyll Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer:
    Looking good Jeff - you're really making progress on it...can't wait to see in person.
  11. Byron1

Byron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't listen to this guy! These bikes are great fun, cheap as chips and parts readily available. Keep up the good work.. I will be following this with interest, I have two TYs buried at home in the back of my garage (80 and 175) waiting to be done up, this thread is inspiring me to get to work as soon as I return to the UK :D
  12. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Questions...

Im needing at least a picture of the metal seat base. I need the whole seat, for my 175, previous owner at some point modded a MX seat I believe, in place.

Anyone have a picture of the seat pan, ours is a 76 orange tanker. If I find I need one, any ideas where to get one?

Lastly, would this be modern or classic? :rofl :lol3 :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VS8sMraMSGo?
  13. UFFDA

UFFDA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great progress! I know a guy that did this with a 137 Alpina and it took him forever. However, he spent more time arguing with Glenn than working. If I can help don't hesitate to call.
  14. roninwva

roninwva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job restoring the bike. :clap Now if only I could find a barn with an old trials bike sitting inside. :scratch
  15. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    I could have just edited the last post, but if you are like me, already read it, you might not notice the changes I need.

OK I discovered that my seat base is the actual seat base for the ty175, in case anyone was going to help me find a picture...

Wish I had the foam, but Im gonna custom it anyhow.

Pictures later.
  16. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    fixed :evil
  17. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Ok- so a little more progress. Wheels are now done. New rear wheel bearings, brake shoes, sprocket and polishing the rim. Front wheel got new brake shoes. The previous owner wore down the shoes to literally nothing. They wrapped electrical tape around the brake cam to get the shoes to expand further! I thought I was cheap- but not that cheap!

[​IMG]
    SSPX7609 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

My father has been working on this with me and has done most of the work lately. He cleaned and painted the tank and it looks pretty good. We are trying to keep the costs down so we are doing everything ourselves if possible. Front forks are on and work good. Soon we will have a rolling chassis.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7608 by alperpa2001, on Flickr

Next up is the cleaning and degreasing of the engine. What a long and tedious job. Flywheel came off nice. Will need new points as they are worn down to almost nothing. New condenser as well and rewiring. The lighting coil was damaged- looked like someone put in a screwdriver in one of the slots to keep flywheel from turning and buggered it up. Since I don't plan on having lights we are just going to remove it. Found out the high tension coil on the frame is bad. That's probably why they parked it.

[​IMG]
    SSPX7607 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Great progress! love the updates, makes me want to restore a vintage... now if I could only get my 74 Beetle project done so I can try talking the wife into it. :evil
  19. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good job! My first bike was Honda TL125 and I've always loved trials bikes. The TY series are fun bikes and maybe someday the right one will be available for the cost of a twelve-pack.
  20. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good work so far. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Are you talking about the lighting coil or the stator? Typically the lighting coil is a coil on the stator. One for spark one for lighting.