From BMW to Orange...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by smj, Feb 14, 2013.

1. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 6 months ago I had to sell my BMW F800GS... Two kids in college, no job for the wife, and so on. It is wonderful what 6 months can bring about! I am going to pick up a brand new 2012 990 r from the local dealer either this weekend or next heated grips are the only option added in. Just a matter of getting over there to do so. It has been fun shopping, I looked all over the country, and when I found an out of state "deal" I liked, I went to the dealer asked him if he wanted my business. We worked it out! So, once again I'll be snooping the back roads here in Coloardo! Very exciting times indeed... This is my first KTM, I am looking forward to a long relationship, and many travels. Of course, this also means I have to sell my 07 XR650R - but I think that it will be OK... Although I'll miss the Honda, too. My hope is that I won't miss the BMW anymore!
  2. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome! You'll love that bike.

Make sure you put on a side stand relocator ASAP. There are threads here about that and where to buy.
  3. dualsportride

dualsportride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Orange side hope you enjoy the bike, and glad to see things have turned around for you.
  4. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    WELCOME!!:clap

Where are you in CO? We'll prolly cross paths one day soon.:freaky

Be sure to get a skid plate if you're gonna off road it. You're gonna love this bike.
  5. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome, and congrats. The good news is that you'll be able to share the ride with your wife if you choose.....wait, did that come out right?

You get the idea! :rofl
  6. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
  7. turbojet

turbojet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dude I just went through the same process in slightly different order. I've been lusting after a KTM 990 for several years but have always been a BMW guy with a 2010 F800GS (prior to that had a 1999 1100GS). When I heard that we might be looking at the end of the 990 model I jumped on a 2012 Adventure. Since I've sold my both my BMW and my Vstrom.

I'm curious as to why you went with KTM instead of another 800GS? Cheers! And we like to see pix.:clap
  8. Mooney 78865

Mooney 78865 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome! You won't look back, Promise!
  9. Bootsy

Bootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats,man!

I've done a similar choice a few time ago.
    From bmw gs800 + bmw hp2 Enduro
    to
    KTM 990 adv R+950 super enduro

very very happy about the choice
    so I hope it will be the same to you

Enjoy
  10. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, everyone, for the welcome!

I had hoped to pick up the bike this weekend, but that may have to wait until next weekend, as work is rearing its continued-paycheck head again… So to speak...

So, it sounds like the side stand relocation kit and skid plate are going to be required. I have heard the seat is not all that comfortable, and that the wind screen allows too much buffeting… What else? This is all good to know, and I will be looking into the side stand relocation kit and skid plate for sure! Thanks.

Unaweep - I live up in Longmont... Where are you at?

BigNastybrp – As much as I do love the pig, reality sometimes sucks. I can’t afford to keep both.

Turbojet – The BMW is a longer story, here’s the short version… I was going over Weston pass, riding well and “helping” the bike up the west side, which one section seems to be paved with baby-heads and larger. Two 990’s went by like I was on blocks. The BMW is a nice bike, I think the KTM will suit me better.

11. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did manage to pick the new ride up today after all. Got about 90 miles on it toay as well. See what can be done tomorrow! :D

[​IMG]
  12. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    brp riders think alike sweet bike
    [​IMG]
  13. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    :clap

Look great guys! You should both check out Highwaydirtbikes.com for hand guards- Paul is an Adv-er and a really great guy selling hands down the best set of guards out there. You should both check out the Wings exhaust that are currently on sale- check out the link in Rockies Regional forum- fantastic quality on par with Akras for a lot less $$. :deal

Edit to add- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861742
  14. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Let the farkling begin!!!
  15. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will not regret it. Weston pass is a breeze on a KTM. This is Mosquito pass in the snow. Sure can't beat a KTM if you are riding a twin.

[​IMG]
  16. Hueychief

Hueychief FNG

Oddometer:
    SMJ,
    Where did you pick the bike up from?
    I'm watching as the supply of KTM 990R's are slowly dwindling down on cycletrader. My yearly bonus arrives in March and hopefully there will be some left.
    I get to Colorado when able and have taken a job back in the US and should be able to spend ALOT more time there in the future.
    You're gonna love that bike.
    Jeff
  17. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up from Elite KTM up in Loveland. I noticed the same thing, and was happy to be able to pull the trigger on mine. I also noticed many of the dealers placing adds on Cycletrader had dealer prep & handling charges (some of them nearly $1000) to add on above and beyond the listed price. At Elite, the price is the price, you have to pay State tax, but no other dealer fees. The other thing was that the cheaper priced bikes were always, always, sold already. I tried for a a month and a half and couldn't get one. Anyway, that was my buying experience. Oh, yeah, I recomend asking for heated grips to be added when you buy - they are very nice to have! Pick a good one, then drop me a line when you hit Coloardo - we'll go for a ride! stevej
  18. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride... you're gonna love it!

Let the farkling begin!
  19. smj

smj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, farkling begins as soon as the XR is sold... Wish I could keep them both, but not going to happen.
    I also agree with everyone, even with only a couple hundred miles on the bike so far - I think I am really going to like this bike! Very excited about it..