Motorcycle Tire Changers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowinfastout, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aldawg

Aldawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Changed my first front tire on my new No-Mar Classic today.

I was skeptical before I started. Now I can't believe how easy it was. No more struggling with those damn Tourances on my spoked GSA wheels. Easy off, easy on; including checking the instruction video on the laptop a few times it probably took less than 10 minutes from breaking the bead to having the new tire on. So much better than the woodblocks + spoons I had used until now. I'm glad I have those skills in case I need them on the road, but at home I'm using the No-Mar :D

I go the hitch-mounted version. I thought it might flex too much, but it works just fine. I just need to be careful not too knock the window out of my cap when I move the arm up out of the way :D

[​IMG]
  3. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you guys paying for your No-Mar's? The MSRP on the website is $1295.00. Are you getting better deals than that?. I was looking at a No-Mar as I am looking at starting a small bike shop. But then I started looking at one of these ( http://www.eautotools.com/R745-21-Capacity-NextGen-Tire-Changer-p/r745.htm) and this gives me the ability to do car tires as well. There was also a motorcycle specific model ( Ranger TC-400), but for the few hundred difference I think I'll go with the R745 model. The turntable adapters for bike rims is an extra $300.
  4. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    You must have been looking at the Pro model. I bought the classic, which is $645. I don't know how many tires you plan to change, or what diameters; those are factors that would affect your choice of changer IMO.

There's a pretty good comparison page here on No-Mar's site. I believe the FAQ also discusses car tires, and I know they change one in one of their videos.

If you plan to change lots of tires every day, you're probably better off with a powered professional changer. If not, a No-Mar would do IMO. It's not back-breaking work to change tires on the Classic.
  5. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    An update to this thread....I've had my No Mar Junior Pro now for a couple months and done four wheels and tires on it. This tool makes tire changes laughably easy - I can't hardly believe how much so. Tonight I did a front tire on my Guzzi in less than three minutes total time. It takes longer to get the front wheel off than demount the old tire and put the new one on.

RECOMMENDED. Close to a must-have tool for serious cyclists.
  6. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. DefyInertia

DefyInertia Where's my truck?!?

Oddometer:
    So from everything I have read here and elsewhere it seems like you can use the M/D bar for all but the skinniest front dual sport tires and dirt bike tires with rim locks. That is, I would expect to be able to change the rear tire on my 640 withOUT using spoons but would likely need spoons for the front. Yes?

Not clear on whether I'd be able to use the Cycle Hill to change the tires on the cages.

I'm going to call No-Mar tomorrow....
  8. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the Jr Pro a few weeks ago and it was a effortless to break the bead and change the rear on my 990, I used tire irons on the front with the rim clamped in place. I changed a couple of car tires with out any trouble, so far I have no regrets with the Jr Pro. :clap:clap
  9. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Anybody changing old spoked street wheels with a Classic? Did you have to buy the tire levers and the other blocks?
  10. noobinacan

noobinacan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for noob question,what kind of concrete anchor did you all use ? wedge ? and what size ?

thanks
  11. JBMorse

JBMorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'd like to know this too. I have several old school bikes in the works and a Transalp. I hate working on the garage floor!
    Would it be smarter to by a simple stand like this one from Pit Posse?
    http://pitposse.com/tirechanger.html
  12. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    I have a junior Pro No Mar and have done lots of spoke wheels on it. I use the other accessory blocks to hold the wheels but find I can go faster / easier with spoons on those wheels and just use the changer to secure them.
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought from a friend with a lot of extras.Harbor Freight Special.

[​IMG]
  14. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
  15. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I bought an Atlas TC211 a few years ago from Greg Smith Equipment. Now it's the TC221.

$995

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TC221-Tire-Changer

It is awesome. No regrets whatsoever. I charge my friends $10 a wheel to mount and balance tires for them. The machine has over half paid for itself, just from that. Not even counting how much I've saved on my own tire changes.

I've changed sportbike tires, 21" dirtbike tires. I even changed the tires on my 20" truck wheels.

I looked at No-mar before I got this one and decided it was worth the extra money. Now, 5 years or so later, I still feel the same way.
  16. Jac-O

Jac-O Nice place to visit...

Oddometer:
    You can mount a tire changer a the center of a reinforced 4' X 4' piece of plywood if you want to kee it mobile...
    Jac-O
  17. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I did. Except I took an 8 foot and cut it in half to double it. Then I put 2x4 around the bottom to make a platform so I could lag bolt the Cyclehill changer to it. Rock solid when put caddy corner but still easy about to drag around and or unbolt if needed. After changing about 10 sets of tires it has more than paid for itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The auto changers are nice. had a similar Chinese one for about 7 years. Just have to be careful with the mount demount head, those little plastic pieces can tear off, which will tear up a wheel in a heart beat DAMHIK. :baldy Had to replace a few parts here and there over years but for the most part it held up pretty good. Biggest gripe is that it just takes up so much room and now that I don't have a shop, a manual one was my only real option because of space restraints.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, the nice thing about the Cycle Hill and No-Mar is you can buy the receiver hitch mount. Makes it REAL portable. :clap
  20. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep very true. Great for track use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2