building Man Cave One in Scottsdale AZ

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by walkingbear, May 5, 2012.

1. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:
    It has been 10 days and lots of changes. Deck is up and yard is cleaned up ready for grass and tree house.

The garage looks almost functional .. putting away stuff takes a long time.

this two weeks ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final pour of the driveway will start in the morning. We are doing a border with expansion cuts every 18 inches. We are using a color in the concrete and it will give it a little more depth to field. The sideways and patio will be pulled ..after all said is done .. we woud have poured 120yds of concrete.

The tree deck will be the mirror image of the deck..just smaller 8 x 10 compare to 12 x 16.

Still deciding on the final paint and the welder is waiting to come finish the install of the hand rails.
    Construction clean up crew will be here next week to clean all debri inside and out.
  2. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    Its really looking good! Your wife is a smart lady, it looks so much better with the wall removed between the house and the shop. Just curious, how close are you to hitting your original budget?

Or is that something we shouldn't speak of? :lol3
  3. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    I climbed the fiscal cliff and jumped over it.. No sure how much yet. Paying off the last of the incoming bills. Will know it a month or so.

We added a lot. The deck is larger , the patio is being redone and the we re-finished the bbq
  4. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    But what an awesome man cave! :clap
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Once again, awesome :deal
  6. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    Woke up this morning and look what was parked in front of my new garage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started taking the mufflers off .. since they were just being held on by the
    muffler clamps on the head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First project finished and will be going home Sunday afternoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caleb claiming his first project
    [​IMG]
  7. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would be keen to buy one of those twin pot "bmw" calipers to add some braking power to my r100gs if you are amenable to selling one.It would pay for a few square inches of driveway!
  8. walkingbear

Oddometer:

Thanks for the offer, the R100 Mystic will be restored so I need the part.

I will keep my eye out for some calipers for you.
  9. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeebus... you already need a bigger garage!
  10. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    Building the tree house and my landscaper father has a re-claimed lumber business. The cost of the reclaimed is20% higer (Destressed doug fir timbers foundation and hand rails. Treated and sealed with penetrating wood sealer.)

Is it worth the extra cost?
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  11. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    only you can make that judgement...what is the true cost of buying new all the time?The real cost may be hidden
  12. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    The weather has been a little chilly and wet. Pushed the tree house back a little. We have started by digging holes, filling it up with concrete to form the footings and columns.

Ordered the lumber and sealed and primed the timbers.

A new build .. It is a small version of the deck. Will add more pics later today

new gate hold we cut into existing wall
    <center>
    [​IMG]

you can see the opening for the bridge/steps down to the tree house
    [​IMG]

waiting for the mud to dry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this evening pics. Caleb walking near the tree house columns.
    The post for the tree house will be embedded into cinder block columns (4 ft down and grouted.)
    the 5th column not built yet will have a double 4x4 notch to accept a 4x6 in between.

[​IMG]

The tree will fall almost in the middle of the decking. Odd shape. 8 feet wide on onside 12 feet long 10 feet wide at the other end.
    Made it into a trapezoid .. little math involved. You can see we kept all the existing fencing cut and welded new taps attached to new wall location and
    weld into existing fencing. We recycled as much as we could in this project.
    [​IMG]

</center>
  13. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    Caleb's gonna have himself a sweet man cave! :clap
  14. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    the 5th column was added today and the
    4 x4 are now in place.. it is like my own stonehenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. vader1701

vader1701 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is so awesome to watch, what's the weather like there?
  16. walkingbear

Oddometer:

low 70's and sunny. Rainy weather will be here later this week.
  17. dirt panda

dirt panda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the step by step build of your man cave. You have put a lot of time into your build report. It is good to see how people in different parts of the world build and the different products used. I'm sure you and your young fellow will have many hours of fun working together.
  18. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Bear, Mine went up about the same time frame, maybe a bit sooner... I was restricted to the square footage of the house and no higher. That precluded a second story and due to a prior install of a ham radio tower the shop gods kept me to 1350 sq feet. I'd sure like to have the extra 150 sq feet I was allowed. Scope creep was about 25-30% over budget and I still don't have the lift in and more concrete is being poured in January.

Nice cave you have there!!!

Gerg
  19. walkingbear

Oddometer:
    Shopped at Lowes today. Scored a load of redwood 2x4, 2x6 and a few 2x8 for 60% off. They were in the cull section (bent, twisted or slightly split )of the lumber yd.

We are putting a roof of the trees to the corners. A little shed roof maybe.

I will have pics later this week.
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    When I grow up I want a manhouse like yours :D

Very well done, thanks for taking the time :thumb