The Vintage Trials Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Garthe, Oct 4, 2011.

1. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Yes it looks easy but the rotor with the added weight needs to be balanced,
    which is impossible if you don't have a balancing machine.
  2. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry ..may not have been clear...
    The question was......Dose anyone know if its been done
    and what plates were used.....
    CB125 plates... got to keep serching CB125 models... all the ones
    I have found so far are 8 finger plates... need 12 to fit the Cota basket...
    Found the XR125 has 12 finger plates , basicly the same motor as the CB125..
  3. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany

As mentioned, Pfahler (in Germany) has found out a good working setup. But as he earns his money with that rebuild he hasn't told his ressources.

The topic in TC is found here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums...48-clutch-question/page__hl__+clutch++montesa

BTW: You haven't mentioned the model and year of your Cota?
  4. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a matter of interest how many times have you used your 348 in competition, and what leads you to thinking that a clutch conversion is needed on it?
  6. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL.... your question has a shade of smart in it... but to answer question "50 metres"
    I will answer the 2nd part aswell ..
    I need a lighter clutch so it's easyer to use while standing...I can use it as is.. but
    lighter would make it easyer...
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not fit a new cable and extend the operating arm, then try the bike in competition and see how it works out? I owned 348 and 349 Monts back in the day, and if I was riding one today altering the chopper steering, and getting the suspension working better would be things I would be thinking of doing.
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Pete,

Mods we did in the heyday was to add 1/2 inch or there abouts, to the clutch arms at the transmission, more leverage means slightly easier pulling. Get new cables, they have more "slippery" (teflon? inserts) plus load them up with some good (become dry powdery) lubes. Make extra care to keep cables from making even remotely sharp turns... then also you can buy lever & perch combo that adds leverage at your fingers end of the cables.

Problem I find is, then it can be tedious to get enough slack to fully enguage clutch, yet enough movement at the arm at tranny area, to disenguage clutch, if you go too far on the bottom arm.

but it is all fine tunable. Then, get one of those hand squeezing things and build up your fingers, lol.
  9. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very easy way to get a good clutch pull on older bike is to fit hydraulic clutch conversion intended for pit bike. Would probably need a longer hose, but they are very cheap and need no adjustment once fitted and set up properly.
  10. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay Pete I can`t follow your whole thread. After just riding a well set vintage expert event, I just do not see much need for a clutch mod. A properly set 348 with correct carburation with a very almost non-existant tick over is just a workhorse in the sections. I would of died for that kind of tractable power in just two sections last weekend! The old bikes power just did not need clutch work. I understand how hard it is otherwise as my 200 cota is hard minus 2 springs! My 2 cents is over. Hope you get the clutch you want. Besides some of us might learn a thing or two!:evil
  12. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Another thing, adjust the clutch cable so when you pull on the lever, it comes out of gear (disengages the clutch) farther away from the bars. I feel/think it takes less "strength" out there... works for me modern and older bikes (I have a 82 fantic, some suzukis, a honda, and a yamaha all from the 70s). Just a thought you might try.

I think that Cables are key though. Todays cables are so much better IMHO... keep them lubed, I cant stress that part enough...

Oh, on a bultaco sherpa, im my memory is correct, we took out half of the clutch springs before, it kind of worked, but later dicovered a set of (all) springs that were "lighter" for best results. Problem on sherpa t's at least, the kickstart depends on clutch holding. It wouldnt hold very well with half springs out, then I had to adjust cables to start bike then adjust back to "ride"... Monty shouldnt have that problem if I recall right.

Plus when you goof with the clutch, with everything I mentioned, then higher gears can slip a little (I'm talking 5th and trying to accelerate hard, or climb long hills) Im in kansas no hills, lol. It was best with lighter all springs installed for sure. BTW, no trail riding with our bikes either, when doing mods you end up with a "trials only" bike, when you get silly..
  13. r2wtrials

r2wtrials Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine and my riding partner's bikes during a ride a couple of days ago ... and the sun was out for almost a whole day!!!

[​IMG]
  14. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Finally found some time to work on the Cota 200...

Ordered some new cables from South West Montessa and while installing them I decided to take the from end down for a fork rebuild since I've had the seals for a few months now.

While I was at it I ordered an OKO carb from Roger at Mid-Atlantic Trials... Spoke to him about 3PM this afternoon and received shipping confirmation by 5PM... The OKO will replace the buggered up Mikuni that the PO installed. Looking forward to that.

These bikes are much easier to work on than the Goldwings and crotch rockets I usually find myself wrenching on!

[​IMG]
  15. Motorrad

Motorrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    here is what my bikes did today...

I added a compression release to each of them.... Have seen many a BUL with broken kicker shafts..

no more..

nice owning a MILL...

can start the bul and the Montesa in flip flops now. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    A rare Wassel Hodaka at today's Trial.
    [​IMG]
  17. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  18. Starterke

Starterke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice pics, thx :thumb
  19. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
    Nicely restored early Bultaco Sherpa (Type 10, 4-speed) pics, forwarded by a friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]