Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SgtSmoker

SgtSmoker Lanky, Cranky, and Stanky

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna make it up this year !:lol3
    (Yeah, right... Haha.)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F9I5Hv13Y4M" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  2. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Joel,
    Bringing the RV with Sher and Nick, so 3 of us. We'll be there Wed to Sun if possible, so we'll be in for meals. Can help out with that too. Need a RV spot, no hookups ok.

Thanks!!
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Myself and 3 buddies are in, looking for dry camping for two pickups and a couple tents we don't need or want anything fancy.

Myself John on a Stupid Enduro and 3 KLR's.

Looking forward to the first trip to DV. :clap
  4. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

thanks dave and trish for your participation to this event, 4-5? years in a row!

dave, if you ain't crashing, then you aren't riding...:lol3

nice vid.

riders from bc...:clap:clap:clap

it will be a pleasure for us to host riders from far places. we'll leave the lights on for you.

people who have not been to PSR, it's not your typical resort.....it's dirt! but of course in the desert, a place like this with a gas station is HEAVEN....:clap
  5. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just two from BC, the rest are Albertans but don't hold that against them! Dirt is preferred, as long as there's beer, gasoline, and some water we'll be golden. There's at least one other I saw posted on here from BC too, might be an invasion.

Sorry, the others are Duane, Mike, and Matt the losers aren't on ADV so no user names.
  6. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    tim, that's good advise for dv virgins and others.

yeah, front forks fixed but my sand skill NO....:lol3.
    [​IMG]

bruce, good chance i will see you thursday, and even ride with ya.

chris, you must had a good time this weekend with fam and rv that you decided to go big. awesome!

i heard you and jim went to dv, howasit?
  7. Megaplow

Megaplow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a blast a few years ago and I would love to be part of the 2013 trip.

How do I sign up? Megaplow and Super Nanni are good to go. We would like to be part of the meal plan too.

Joe
  8. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of people wanting to learn how to do things on their motorbike. Loop it out, crash it in sand, ride like Joel.

Well, I can't help with that. But to see if any of the promoting I did last year is actually paying off, we have a few schools scheduled previous to this event so you can head out to the Noob Rally a better and safer rider. Get it in two days, not 10 minutes!

Our winter/spring schedule should be on my web site very soon,
    JIMMY

www.jimmylewisoffroad.com
  9. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    :clap See you guys there! I'm trying to bring another one or two with me too.
  10. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should be there on or about Saturday, the 23rd,; pickup camper and trailer with two Huskys. One for the road, and one for the dirt. I will be up for a ride somewhere and will look you up.
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    This is a very worth while class. Jimmy has been de-nOObing nOObs for many years.

[​IMG]
  12. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will second this. The best way to do this is when you order fresh tires (or order up some heavy duty inner tubes), use that as your opportunity to practice and learn. Try and do it with just the tools you carry on your bike (a few wrenches, tire irons, and maybe a valve stem snake and Motion Pro Third Hand). Bead breaking can be one thing that catches you off guard in the desert...a few MX boots from the people around you can work well, as does the kick stand of another bike (or the built in bead breaker on a 1200GS center stand).

If there are any n00b's around downtown LA that would like some help changing a tire or tube for the first time, let me know, I would be glad to help sometime between now and then.
  13. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Joel

You need to get on 3 wheels ..... :clap :clap :clap
  14. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Temecula, but riding over just might be worth it (and make a pch weekend of it.....) Great and generous offer for us n00bs - thanks!!:clap

I have time off after Christmas....
  15. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you haven't posted a schedule yet.....how about a n00b class the weekend of January 5/6? :deal

It's the only time before the rally that I can make it out...:cry and I definitely need help....

[​IMG]
  16. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    OK, after looking at the pics since my last post it seems to me the money I would need to spend to outfit my bike for this trip would be better spent on an old dirt bike I can just thrash the shit out of.

And I have no clue how to repair a flat tire on the trail.

Back to the drawing board to re-access ...
  17. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Yes, finally got some new tires put on the RV. Those huge michelins are big $$. Don't complain about tires for your bikes guys. :rofl

Then a trip to the gas station to top up the fuel and propane tanks - $250. OUCH! When we bought our motorhome 8 years ago gas was about $1.60 per gallon. When it got to $2 we were complaining. :cry

I haven't been through Goler Wash since about 2005, and that was with CA4W Panamint Valley Daze. It was about a 6' step that you either winched over or if you had lockers could crawl over. This year they came and filled it in, you could drive a civic up there now. Here's Jim riding down the 'step':

[​IMG]

Striped Butte:

[​IMG]

Full Ride Report Here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20119683&postcount=247

18. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

SaS,

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I live in Camarillo and would be happy to come by and evaluate your need for gear... Let me know.

After all, it can't be any worse than this NooB :lol3

Packing for the weather.
    [​IMG]

Apparently, Joel's most prized item of his bike is the seat. :D
    [​IMG]
    Better protection than a condom.
  19. lifeofreilly

lifeofreilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey it's Seth (changed my screen name, was weare138).
    Looking forward to getting back to the desert and riding with everyone again. We should have a solid crew from adobe this year. I'll be donating a copy of photoshop for the raffle. Cheers,
    _Seth

[​IMG]
  20. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

With the Holidays upon us riding might slow down a bit,,, or not :lol3 but never fear, if we need to instill some knowledge on the new group of NooBs we'll make it happen. Riding, changing flats, and what to bring will all be covered soon !

Maybe you can make it to the Long Beach M/C show so we can meet you ?

It's a good place to see what is available for Dual Sporting...