BMW F800 R - the Rotax Roadster Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lost Roadie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. flkovacs

flkovacs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ditto!
    did you find any problems with the rear shock mount?
    i recently spoke with a factory guy from ohlins about redoing my front suspension without having to mess with my rear, but he got onto some inherent problem with the f800r's rear shock mount needing help ...

enjoy,
    ferenc
  2. Bryster

Bryster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    None that I'm aware of, straight forward fit.. Do the front alone and you'll notice the rear. :evil
  3. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    yup - that's what i ran into in doing a mod on another bike, so my intent is to do the front mod only to 'match' the factory rear.

nice job,
    ferenc
  4. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, you just want to make the front "suck less?"

J/K...

If you've ever done the front separate from the back or vice versa, you almost always run into this issue.
  5. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    yeah, i knew the goosy front would need attention, and now that i've decided to keep the bike, it's time. for me, the rear suspension suffices, and i am trying to get the front to 'match.' i'm just not sure what that means in terms of products that are available, but it sounds like the ohlins solution is beyond what i'm looking for.

perhaps just different springs, viscosity, and emulators?
    a transplant?
    ?

ferenc
  6. Elam

Elam Noobus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Took the bike off the center stand today, was going to take it out for a ride when I noticed a metallic rattling coming from somewhere. I thought maybe something had snagged onto the bike and I was dragging it, but then I realized it was coming from within the rear tire rim.

There's a loose piece of metal rattling around in the rear rim. Does anyone have any idea what that could be?

Gonna call the dealer today and take it in regardless.
  7. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    Tyre pressure sensor?
  8. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first thought as well. I'm sure you figured this, but don't ride it in.
  9. Elam

Elam Noobus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I don't have the computerized tire pressure sensor. Maybe a metal part that took the place of the sensor if you didn't purchase that option?

the pressure on the tire is fine and the ride is stable.

I have no way to get it in other than ride it though. :lol3
  10. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be up in the rear hub? I haven't looked at it close, but one bike I had had slots in the hub itself, and gravel or tar bits could get thrown up in there. Dunno if I'd ride with something loose in the tire itself. I suppose centrifugal force would probably trap it in one place at speed, but starting and stopping?
  11. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    The good news is that it's covered by your warranty. Keep us posted.
  12. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to know what that rattling noise is too. My wife's bike has it (she also has tire pressure monitoring system) but I thought it was coming from the exhaust.
  13. Elam

Elam Noobus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Well, put my head close to the wheel again and spun it around, and I think it is the hub. It's clearly something metallic though, not rock. Can't possibly imagine what it is. The wheel is solid though, no sway or movement when i grab and shake it.

Weather has another 3 weeks or so before I get a good day to take it to the dealer.
  14. Terry007

Terry007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    600 mile Service completed now time to start opening her up a bit :evil
  15. Bryster

Bryster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it's set, the redline indicator catches you out the first time!

WTF! was that! o... :rofl
  16. gadgetguy1288

gadgetguy1288 Adventurer

Oddometer:

That scared the sh!t out of me the first time I hit it. I had never ridden a bike with that feature before, and my first thought was that I just blew up my engine.:eek1:rofl

On another note, has anyone ever put any rougher tread tires on an f8r? Im debating about getting some 80/20's or something similar for hitting up some gravel roads and stuff like that. :evil
  17. DeedsyDragon

DeedsyDragon Moto Dragon

Oddometer:
    This might be of interest to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlrkTbbV_bQ

:evil
  18. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    If you have better luck than me, please post it. I even checked with Touratech to see what tires they featured in the photo of their "Scrambler." They didn't know but thought they might be TKC80s or Heidenau Scouts. I couldn't find anyplace that was selling a 17 front and 17 rear in either. I found a Pirelli and a Metzler and something else but I'll have to dig out my research to be more specific. Sorry, still under 2 feet of snow here and all my miles are on my couch right now. This is a subject that needs more research. Anyone?
  19. gadgetguy1288

gadgetguy1288 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a site that lists TKC80's that come in the right sizes. 120/70/17 on the front and 180/55/17 in the rear.

Hmmm, Maybe I can pick up a second set of rims to be able to switch between the street tires and knobbies........:evil

ETA: Revzilla shows the TKC80's, Metzeler Tourance, Pirelli scorpions, and continental Trail Attack

They also list the Pirelle MT60R as a front tire.
  20. Bryster

Bryster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can go off road... it's just really slippy :D (well on our gravel which is akin to small brown ball bearings)

[​IMG]