Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I have on all my bikes except my new stumpjumper, which has hydraulics, so its not so easy to switch.
  2. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    All i have is a front brake.....:evil
  3. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too...

and the lever's on the right:rofl
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a pair of vintage D/A brakes on fleabay right now for my Denny. Single pivots-r-us!

M
  5. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    She still has to think about what she's doing on a motorcycle so I'm more worried about her doing something goofy on that than her bicycle. :lol3

Thanks Yater, they're regular old brake lines so it should be easy. :thumb
  6. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    He SCORES!!

Went down to the LBS (the one NOT on SF St. Speaker) to check on my Sapim spoke order. Walked out with a pair of Suntour Sprint SP brake calipers for the Denny.

:clap

Woot! LOVE free shit! They're mostly complete: missing one barrel adjuster and I'm not even planning on using that one, so :rayof

[​IMG]

:deal
    :evil

M
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Mtn bike or road bike?

If its a mtn bike, just remove the cable ends from the levers and swap the whole shootin match from one side to the other. Iffen its road brakes, then yer gonna hafta unwrap and re-wrap (or cut the housing and install in-line adjusters) and possibly get a new cable for the rear brake. I allatime re-use the rear cables as fronts. Saves $$ :evil

:wrenchin :scratch

M
  8. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Mine's on the left, guess I have no issue with confusing which bike I'm on. I'll leave well enough alone.
  9. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me neither, my mountain bikes and bmx bikes are set up normal left=front. but since I only have one brake on the fixed, I'll have it on the right.
  10. Ri-Ra

Ri-Ra Burgeoning

Oddometer:
    I had a thought.. Any mtb'ers live in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Angeles</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Notional</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Forest</st1:placeType></st1:place> area, eg. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Marshal</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Canyon</st1:placeType></st1:place>, Clairmont'ish area. I'm always looking for people to ride with, hit me up.. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  11. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, though my right hand has much better dexterity than the left, it's not that much stronger (this suggests that the difference is just a few percent, for most folks). With decent brakes, either hand can generate enough lever force to put me over the bars if I'm not careful, and I can better modulate lever force for progressive braking with the right.

I've never had a problem with grabbing too much brake, set up this way. A couple of days ago a slower moving cyclist stopped suddenly ahead of me, and the surrounding traffic situation was such that I had no alternative but to grab a big handful of front brake. Though my ass was in the saddle, the rear wheel came off the ground a bit (first time I've ever done that on any vehicle). But I was nowhere near going over the bars.
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I've SEEN what happens when noobs grab big handfuls of front brake. Not pretty.

Experienced riders = usually OK.

YMMV

M
  13. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    MTB, good thing since my re-wrap jobs suck! :lol3
  14. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Kewl. You won't even need any wrenches!

:clap

I like that kind of wrenching!

M
  15. Agitator

Agitator Professional Ashole

Oddometer:
    not be a hard-on, but I've got an on-topic question:norton

What speed do bicycle digital speedometers go up to? Do all of 'em max-out at the same speed?

And it is a riot when someone tries out a bike and pulls the wrong brake:lol3:rofl
  16. Plan B

Plan B "Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer:
    Hey Pierce,

You must have Shimano integrated units because otherwise you just pull the grips and swap the levers (leaving the lines intact) . Most disc brake levers are designed to run swapped out like this. Or, if you are lucky, your levers have a double clamp and you don't even need to pull the grips. I borrow a friends Nomad when I'm visiting Santa Cruz and he rides moto and I ride NA standard so I do a quick swap before the ride and put it back when I'm done.

You can see in this pic of my Avids that the lever clamp is a two-piece/two bolt design which makes swapping a cinch.

[​IMG]

There is no right and wrong on brake/side position, it's all just preference.
    Go with what you think is safest for you.
  17. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

they are -are- shimano, I guess I should look closer and see if the brakes are seperate from the gears. per specialized webpile, my 03 SJ FSR Disc has...

• BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc
    • SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano M-510 Deore, 9 speed
    • FRONT BRAKE - Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc, resin pads, 6" rotor
    • REAR BRAKE - Shimano M-525 full hydraulic disc, resin pads, 6" rotor
    • FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano M-510 Deore, 34.9mm clamp, top pull
    • REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano M-750 XT, long cage
  18. Plan B

Plan B "Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer:

Looks like you are golden........should be an easy swap.

How's the weather in beautiful SC? Have you checked out the new bike park down by the boardwalk? (at the site of the old skateboard park)
  19. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    <table border="1" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr align="center"> <th bgcolor="yellow">44</th></tr><tr><th bgcolor="yellow">17</th><th bgcolor="white">68.3</th></tr></tbody></table>

Sheldon Brown's website

<table border="1" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr align="center"> <th bgcolor="yellow">44</th></tr><tr><th bgcolor="yellow">15</th><th bgcolor="white">77.4</th></tr></tbody></table>
    That would be more like it in a month of training

6 months ago i was running

<table border="1" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr align="center"> <th bgcolor="yellow">44</th></tr><tr><th bgcolor="yellow">13</th><th bgcolor="white">89.3</th></tr></tbody></table>

Source : http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  20. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    That's a sweet mount Queen. Those paired spoke wheels look nice. I have a flat bar road bike too. It loses some of the aero advantage and unless you put on bar ends, your hands can get tired. I put short bar ends on mine. Having multiple hand positions can make a big difference in comfort on longer rides.