950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mrkennethporter

mrkennethporter Escaped Lunatic Beware!

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed that half hour read.

was thinking of accessories for my own but after reading and looking at the pics the original plastic looks best in my humble opinion. That lambretta tacho looks good. will look into that one. Would not even consider taking a 100hp bike of road myself. looks a little scary.

the tail tidy from Germany is nice but looking on ebay. nearly 200 euro for a little bit of sheet metal. Has anyone made there own . 200 notes is way too much.

If all goes well I should be heading to the Nurburgring in Germany to see how the 950 matches up to all my sports bike friends.

Is there a steering damper for the 950sm yet? nearly lost her to a tank slapper yesterday. front very twitchy on bumpy roads under full throttle.
  2. motorcyclemark

motorcyclemark Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looked around a little today and found some from R&G, look good and will order a pair from suderia west tommorow.
  3. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. motorcyclemark

motorcyclemark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ones from Ktmtwins (R&g makes them) are the ones I purchased. As you probably already know Ktmtwins are run out of Scuderia West. Thanks for the link.
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of Supporter

Oddometer:
    well, time to bump this thread up....:nod
  6. Willis

Willis Don't want a pickle...

Oddometer:
    Well I got 4000 miles on my 07 now and theirs nothing to report except that my face gets sore from time to time from all the smiling I do!!!!!:freaky

I checked my valves at 1200 miles and they were all in spec except for one intake on the rear cylinder that was jsut a hair to tight.
  7. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Some SM questions.....What was the bottom line as far as tachs? I saw a digital one and a gauge style. Anybody have either? Good? bad? Kind of nice to get one that fits in the space to the right of dash like the round one I saw a pic of. Now seat question: Does renazco sell premade seats? Or is it strictly send them yours and wait.......and wait.....etc. Whats the skinny on a nice flat rear rack? Like the one wpbarlow had? Brents? Is there anything else I should do to the brand new bike? How much of a project is it to remove the emissions crap? Will it be easy to see whats involved when I look at it? Do you think a new 07 will have the various recalls fixed? Like starter motor problems and whatnot? I'm getting the bike from town and country in Jersey for anyone local. They are supposed to be a good dealer. The 16 tooth countershaft sproket is backordered, but I'm gonna try it. What about brake pads? Galfer greens or any others? I know the bike has great brakes already ,but you know.....to much is never enough... And yeah I know, just ride it, But I dont have it yet so I'm stuck in front of the keyboard for now:rofl Mentally rideing...:lol3....wpbarlow do you still have the cool little bar end mirrors? They look nice. How are they to use? I'm getting the black one. Will the plastic show scratches quickly? I'm anal.:nod I think this bike is gonna be alot more practical than the hypermotard I was real close to getting. Descent size tank, 8" susp. for dirt road blasting. Anyone use distanzias? I had them on my KLR 650 that I motarded and they stuck like glue in the turns but have a dualsport pattern. I thought they might work well on this bike too since I like getting into the woods once in a while. How is the slack in the brake lines and wires for bar risers? I have a set of ROX 2 1/4" pivoting risers I'm gonna try. Hopefully I can reroute the line behind the fork tubes to get the play. We'll see. What kind of watts does this bike have for heated clothing etc? I'd like to ride into the chilly season before switching to the windshield bike since this bike will be NEW! Thanks for the info. I know its alot of questions but once I get it maybe I can pay back with some ideas of my own that might interest people...:thumb
  8. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Hmm, that was alot of questions.

First, congratulations on making a decision (finally!). I don't think you could be disappointed in the bike.

I can only help with the rack question. That I know of there is still no good looking flat rack for the 950SM, which is why I built sme racks for my bike in the first place. There are no more of my design available from me.
    A member from over at KTMtalk (520640 over there, not sure if he is here) was selling his 950SM a week or two ago and it had a rack. Maybe you could talk him out of his?

Other than that, have you seen the new side rack/soft saddle bags from the KTM hardparts catalog? I really liked them and ordered a set right away.

Brent
  9. wpbarlow

Oddometer:

It wasn't me who had the small bar end mirrors

2 1/4" seems like a lot. I'm waiting for some 1" risers from Loaded

I don't know offhand what the wattage is, but I was able to run Gerbings jacket liner, gloves, and socks this past winter with no ill effect.

Hard to beleive, but due to circumstances I haven't ridden the SM in a couple of weeks :eek1
  10. rick danger

Oddometer:
    Oh sorry, just reread, it was Nowhat. They look a little small, guess thats why they look good. Gotta have a good rear view. Especially with this bike. Make sure there aren't any flashing lights back there:lol3 . I just remembered wed is the 4th. Another day to wait for the bike....Damn holidays....and sundays.........and mondays....:puke1
  11. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Geez, has it really been a month since the last report? I didn't use it for a couple of weeks since I had the bars off to install, and then wait for, my 1" Loaded risers to come back- the set I originally ordered was a tad too large, so I sent them back for a little rework. Apparently, there is some measure of variability in the thing that holds them in place. I should have them back this coming week; so threw the stockers back on for a couple of rides :D

Nothing much to report: the klacker fix really seems to work, as I haven't had a single incident since the warranty repair.

I have one temporary addition- the Touratech wind deflector. I originally borrowed it from Frank (Docking Pilot) to run on the 950A, and figured I'd try it on the SM for a 150 mile club ride I did today. Actually seems to work a little more effectively on the SM than the A: so I'll probably order one.

[​IMG]
  12. rick danger

Oddometer:
    I just put on 2 1/4" rox risers. Nice :thumb Gps is installed. Gonna mess with the seat tomorrow. Try to widen it in the middle. Sweeeeet Bike!!!! Lovin it! I'm thinking of getting the neptune mufflers for it in black.:nod
  13. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171324

should have racks for the 950 SM pretty soon. they look good and Im down for one. got the block off plates and they are very nice.

14. rick danger

Oddometer:
    What are block off plates?
  15. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    used when the canisterectomy is done. couple of fittings with air hoses on the heads are removed and the blockoff plates cover where they were.
  16. timfarno

timfarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any reco to source a taller windscreen for the KTM 950 Supermoto?
  17. wpbarlow

Oddometer:

It's mentioned earlier in the thread-- the one on mine is from Hyde Racing http://www.hyderacing.com/index.htm
  18. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    Not to wait so long between 950SM rides :lol3

[​IMG]

Did a real nice mixed surface ride yesterday that highlighted what makes this such a fun bike: great smooth and poor pavement performance, decent on dirt roads, and ready to take on casual water when needed as a bonus. All in "reasonable" comfort.

BTW- lots of yadda yadda talk recently about the 950SM compared to the Duc Hypermoto. I'll start talking with you as soon as you show me some pictures of the Ducati in similar situations as above.:deal

Been a year since I got it; so it was a good "anniversary" ride. Got pretty dirty on the ride, so I treated it to a cleaning when I got home.
    Well, at least a hosing down :lol3

6k miles in a year is not a lot of miles per se- but it does share duty with 3 other road bikes, so it's getting its share of use; and the smiles/mile ratio is very good.
  19. backdrifter

backdrifter Wannabe rider

Oddometer:
    There was a nice post somewhere here that I can't find again. I think the title was "Don't Believe the Hype". At any rate, the author had ridden a Hypermotard S with Termignoni pipes and said it couldn't keep up with a pure stock 950sm if it tried.

I love my 950sm. I avoided buying one for nearly two years because I didn't like the looks. Once I got one, I fell in love. It looks much better in person and it does EVERYTHING right! I owned a 950 Adventure in the past (nice bike), but the SM is the one I should've bought from the start. I'm looking forward to a long happy relation ship with this bike.
  20. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked at the SE exhaust and it appears that the header section would be a direct bolt on to the SM thus having a high pipe instead of the low slung SM version. Has anyone thought about this mod or investigated? Same frame....