Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want this !!! :clap

Pilbara, are you using fairings with this setup and do you have any more pics of this???
  2. lastplace

lastplace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Front of Neil's WR450. I've copied the dimensions of the JVO kit so the fairing and light will fit, but slightly different design. Hopefully strong enough now to withstand Neil's abuse.

Attached Files:

3. lastplace

Oddometer:
    Front photo of that same WR.

Attached Files:

4. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    How thick are the side plates? 3/4/5mm

Did you consider delrin round rod for the spacers between the centre spine and the side plates? From the specs I have found its about 1/3 the weight of most alloys without a massive loss in strength and being a polymer would likely have greater vibration resistance. Thoughts anyhow.
  5. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How does everyone with the handlebar mounted setups get around the problem of the brake line banging up against the nav mount when the forks compress? On my DRZ I just put the line through a P clamp and allowed the line to bow out in front.
    [​IMG]
    Not perfect but it worked. any ideas? Or do I just tilt the brackets up further?
    A pic or two of my setup for Yilgarn. I have test ridden it and apart from the brake line issue it works really well. I really don't notice the weight but I haven't done 400 odd km on it yet:evil
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Route it straight up the fork leg and inbetween handlebars and roadbook;

[​IMG]
  7. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate:clap:clap
  8. Billy.B.F.

Billy.B.F. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go the 'pin and flex' method, similar to what you've shown (apologies for the lack of pics in a pics thread :shog).
  9. lastplace

Oddometer:
    I run the brake line down the right fork to the bottom triple, then across the triple using P clamps. Then it bows out to the left when the forks compress. In the photo of the WR a few posts above and you can see the line on Neil's WR.

The DRZ looks good. Good luck.

fun fun
    Charlie
  10. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    The piece that is driving my design are the lights,

Baja Designs 4" and 6" and Hella 90mm,

[​IMG]

Seth mentioned a page or so ago that the BD Fuegos could be used in pod mode, they can! They're about perfect for what I want to do

[​IMG]

With the lights finally nailed down I could move on to the rest of the assembly,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While riding over the last few weeks, I've been playing with where I want the roadbook mounted, I can't see squat with it down low while standing, but I don't want to sit every time I want to look at it, what are the real guys doing?

[​IMG]

I'll be making it so that I can run the bike with the whole assembly removed and stock headlight or just the fairing/lights mounted to the forks. I'll start with a Voyager that'll be staying on for all configs, the rest will bolt on and off depending on what type of riding I'm doing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    What software package are you doing your design work in? I use NX at work and solidworks at home.
  12. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like your design. How are you planning to make the fairings or have you got some in mind?
  13. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Hey Seth, I use SolidWorks w/ a plugin CamWorks for cutting. Need any of the models?

TM, the fairing when I get done with the design I'll proto w/fiberglass, then make a plastic injection mold, but that's only because that's what I do. Need to make sure the lights will be available for a while first.
  14. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Wow, it's looking great Paul!
  15. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    So last week I decided to get going on making the frame brackets, after that most of the rest of the parts would be cake. Well that was a disaster, all I ended up learning was that I suck at sheet metal work. So plan b was to machine it from billet. I should have done this from the beginning for the prototype.

Here it is, it comes in at a little less then 1.5lbs. If I had really put some thought into it and ran it through FEA, I could have cut that in half.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hogged out inside of part.

[​IMG]
    MotoSly, loganlexow and overlander like this.
  17. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, work of art! Is it easier to mill it from a big chunk of billet, or can you make two halves and have them welded? Not second guessing, just wondering for my own personal growth:lol3
  18. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :thumb
  19. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Nice work Paul!

Are you going to be at the Wolfman Luggage open house?
  20. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Hey Aaron, I think if I could bend a part as easy as cut them it would be a whole lot better, I made 4 blanks, screwed the first up with too tight a radius and cracked the bend, 2nd came out good, 3rd and 4th were to be mirror image of the good one. Do you have any idea how frustrating and tough it is to try and get them to match. I gave up before throwing a temper tantrum.
    This is what they should have looked like, the blanks weighed in at just over 1/2lb ea.

[​IMG]

Duke, good chance I'll make it, it'd be good to see you again. Show support for Eric and see the new shop more and it would also be great to meet Ned and pick his brain.