2013 Moto Guzzi Norge

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Trailduster, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Trailduster

Trailduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been doing some research on the new Norge and giving serious thought to ordering one. Am very fortunate to have a good dealer in my area so that is covered but was wanting to hear from anyone who might have any info on these bikes. I have to say I think these bikes are just stunning and one might need to join the stable ! Thanks for any info.
  2. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your not SURE don't do anything. Personally I'd stay away from new Guzzi's.
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    :amazon
  4. oldenuf

oldenuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had several Guzzi motorcycles in past, last one a 1995 California, all of them were good to own and I easy to maintain. The wife felt the back seat on the Guzzi was one of the best. The Seattle, WA dealer has an excellent reputation going back years. Only thing I notice is the resale is poor. Several left over Norge models have been listed deeply discounted, and ones on craigslist with low miles sell for around 8,000.

Art
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read some of the threads where you'll find people who know what they're talking about.

The new Guzzis are awesome. I have a new Stelvio and it trumps everything similar out there.

The 8-valve motor in the new bikes is very strong and basically trouble-free.

Guzzis have the special appeal of a V twin motor and the do not have the over-done technical features and problematic final drives that cause BMWs to be so unreliable (I have 4 BMWs).
  6. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I had a Breva and loved it... :)

When I buy another Guzzi I'm going to want it to look like a Guzzi, jugs and all. The Griso is bloody lovely, the V7, the Cali..

but the Norge, IMO, lacks the distinctiveness that makes Guzzis attractive to me so any decision I made to buy it would be based on a more empirical basis.

cost of farkles
    cost of servicing
    etc etc

All opinion though ;)
  7. 9MCatDaddy

9MCatDaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an 07 Norge and would DEFINITELY buy the new model Norge!

Previously had 05 FJR and the 07 Guzzi was way more comfortable and sexy.
    If I had a dealer within reach I would not hesitate about a new Guzzi...
  8. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OldHippie....you are my friend but you are WAY off on that statement. They are the best guzzi has ever made!
  9. ddddd

ddddd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 Norge which is no different to the 2013 model, only advise I could give you would be to make sure who ever gives it its first service really knows what they are doing as Guzzi engines come from the factory poorly set ie throttle body balance and valve clearance will be out and makes a noticeable difference when set correctly. Other than that it depends on what you want in a bike, I was after a small simple touring bike with decent handling and suspension that would be easy to maintain myself, I would only use it for two up work and longer rides (as I have a far more powerful bike I would use most of the time)
    Now after three months (and over 6000k's) of ownership I can state that despite the fact that its by far the least powerful bike I have ever owned its is in fact the most enjoyable bike I have ever owned to the point where it is the only bike I ride now, The handling, suspension and brakes have all exceeded my expectations, with the ability to simply remove the panniers this bike can fulfill all roles for me
  10. Trailduster

Trailduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just one of the responses I was hoping to here ! Sounds like a very satisfied owner.
  11. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am one of the happy '08 Norge 2v owners.
    I have not ridden the new one to compare, but I am satisfied with the old one for sure.
    One of the huge tipping points for me was buying a brand new bike that was 2 years old with the full 2 year warranty for a lot less than the new ones are going for.
    My only complaint is the color. I really don't like black.
    I have done a few modifications to the bike like windshield and hand guards, but I have left the engine stock.
  12. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy another of the current generation of Moto Guzzi. Most unreliable, problematic motorcycle I ever bought new.

My dealer is 'supposed' to be one of the best in the country, when in fact, the incompetence displayed was shocking.

Much as I wanted to love that thing, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Charlie
  13. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The Norge, Breva, and 1200 Sport share the same basic chassis, and are excellent bikes.
    My 1200 Sport was a fantastic bike, full of character and one of the most reliable, best built bikes out there.
  14. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    I've got an '07 Norge and love it (currently 36000miles). I'd love to get one of the new ones as it looks like Guzzi has fixed all the little things that have us first generation owners scratching our heads wondering what the hell Guido was thinking when he did that? Additionally, the suspension has been improved out of the box. I don't know that I'd do the same upgrades to a new one as I did to mine.

The bikes are mostly trouble free - every make and model has exceptions - and are a blast to own. If the bike speaks to you, you'll never be satisfied until you own one or more of them. Maintenance is simple and easy. Granted, I have the 2-valve per head motor, but it takes 30 minutes to adjust the valves from the time when I decide to do it until I'm tightening down the last valve cover screw. Oil changes are a piece of cake as well. The only things that are a bit of a pain are changing the air filter and the inner spark plugs. Fortunately neither has to be done very often.

Take a test ride. If it feels good to you, then go for it.

With the current crop of Guzzis heading out the doors as fast as they come in, it's also doing good things for the used prices. The left overs are still selling for what they were three years ago, and the used bike market has come up a bit from a year or two ago.

Now, if they only had the Norge in that red/maroon that was in the original teaser photos available...

jdg
  15. Tilter

Tilter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the current generation of Guzzis. Reliable, lovely to ride once you get them sorted. Go to www.guzzitech.com for some more info but honestly even with just the right map and the right initial set-up they run very well.
  16. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I tried my first Guzzi with a Griso and love it. I like it so much I bought a 2012 Stelvio. The 8V motor is fantastic.

The bike was taken by a deer, but I like it so much that I am going to get another. I picked up the bike fresh from crate, did 1k miles, had the 1st service done, then put another 4200 on it before the crash. I didn't think twice- rode it on a 2500 mile trip and would do it again without thought.

One of the better bikes I have owned.
  17. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Personally,I'd stay away from oldhippies.:(:

iamunique127 likes this.