The Long Way Back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KamikazeKLR, Apr 16, 2013.

1. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will serve as a pre-trip report for the preparation, training and any other things that come up before departure as well as an on-going Ride Report during the trip.

And so it begins...

Chris (my boyfriend) and I (Mel) are taking on an ambitious trip from Winnipeg, Manitoba to St. John, Newfoundland. This adventure is sure to take us to places we never new existed and through all the best and worst times of my first real motorcycle adventure. This is an approximate route.
    Expected departure: Wednesday, May 8th 2013

[​IMG]

We are on two Kawasaki KLR650's. His is a 2000 and mine is a 2002 (should be green but I've painted it)

[​IMG]

Preparing for ourselves is just as important as preparing the bikes and the gear. Having never ridden this long on the bike, I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. My first course of action was to get my ride in as best a condition as I could get it. I had a lot of help from the Winnipeg ADV community. The guys here really supported the idea of this trip and gave me plenty of tips and tricks, what not-to-dos and things to make it more enjoyable.

I started by... well trying to get the bike started. A month from our launch and I was having carb issues.
    Turns out I had an ant and a mal-adjusted float.
    [​IMG]

The bike came roaring to life right after fixing that issue. Got back in the saddle and tested the reins after a long, cold, miserable winter.
    [​IMG]

The bike was running, yes, but there were more thing to be done. I had a list:

- Carb vent T-mod
    - Check valves
    - Wheatwhacker mod
    - Install my tool tube
    - Install 12v outlet
    - Make a dash
    - Check the Doo
    - Get a new rear tire (might just pick one up along the way)
    - Double up my clutch line
    - Get a throttle lock (optional)
    - Finish my seat
    - Check that every nut and bolt is correctly tightened
    - Order a Wolfman Tank bag

Some things on this list are now done. I will take pictures of the finished product.
    Next I had to test my new riding gear to see if it all works well together. Turns out, it does. Very well, in fact.
    I had a more experienced rider than myself take me out for a ride so I could feel more at ease.
    [​IMG]

Every day that draws nearer to the start day is a day that I am working on the bike. I got myself some good rear racks from DirtRacks.com, had a welder make me some custom panniers and started installing the farkles that are slowly trickling in.

I am excited and nervous and cautious and can't wait for it to start. We will be camping, and therefore not restricted to the slab, but will have the freedom to explore and experience real adventure touring like the way it is meant to be.

To be continued.
  2. RoadCapt

RoadCapt n00b

Oddometer:
    Go for it !!! I'm in... :thumb
  3. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    I should also mention that Chris' bike is going to also get worked on but he is away for work. I have made a nice shop area in the garage so when he gets back we can spend our free time getting both bikes in the best shape possible. Since he is away, I have been doing a lot of work on mine.
  5. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    I think I might invest in some tires early.
    I went to go do a little bit of off-road practice but on the pavement on the way there was where I had problems. Hit the slightest bit of sand and the back end got all squirelly.

I'm thinkin' some good Heideneau 50/50's otta do it. Good wear on slab but good traction off road.
    [​IMG]
  6. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
  7. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Yup, the Scout will be good, I had them on me F800 and my KLX
  8. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Perfect.

In the next days I hope to accomplish:

- Getting the new tire
    - Adding the rest of my decals
    - Drilling and installing my new panniers

[​IMG]

Asked for aluminum but got stainless steel. Yeah, don't ask me why, I don't even know. It was a nightmare to deal with this welder.

Either way, they're a good size.
  9. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
  10. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Many things have been done in the past couple days, mostly small cosmetic things and patching up my exhaust. At this point I am just sitting waiting for better weather, more tools, and for parts to come in the mail.
    Taking a break from all the wrenching, I decide to do a bit of off-road training with GreatWhiteNorth and Mark-II.

[​IMG]

Despite the snow shown in this picture, it was actually a nice ride and the gravel was clear of any snow or ice.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  11. gslf

gslf Everything Wheels

Oddometer:
    Let's read and see ( lots of pictures please ) the rest of the story.
  12. The Fonz

The Fonz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    I promise I will post many pictures. Also, every time I think my bike is too tall for me I remember you trying to get back up on your beemer at every green light :lol3
    It's inspiring.
  14. gslf

gslf Everything Wheels

Oddometer:
    The bike is never too tall, we are just to little. But we ride what we want, right?:ricky
  15. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your trip.
    I see you have my mod (wheatwhacker mod) on your list of things to do. Get it done, it makes a huge difference.
  16. fabriktr

fabriktr Build it if you can.

Oddometer:
    Count me in. The KLR is a brilliant ride. My 2009 has done Prudoe Bay and the Trans Labrador Highway.:clap
  17. KamikazeKLR

Oddometer:
    Progress. Installed my tool tube

[​IMG]

And finally got my seat back

[​IMG]
  18. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Mel, double up on your tube pipe straps...just in case! They've been known to wear thru.
  19. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used an exhaust clamp, even U bolts will work.
  20. fabriktr

fabriktr Build it if you can.

Oddometer:
    I used 4" PVC to hold more tools and put the opening on the right so that the clobber does not self eject when opened.