Double Dog Hack

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by GSBS, Jan 14, 2011.

1. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the (caribiner) is what I was speaking of, although I didn't remember the name of the snap device. Didn't know it was rated for the pounds you mention, but that is great for solving what I was speaking about. Most I have seen are sold in Wally World stores or box such and are made of aluminum, but are not for climbing and such. Those are the types I was speaking of. Looks like you are all set to go, then. The harness style set up you have is on my wish list for the hack, but the list is always growing these days, so no telling when it will come to be.

I used the soft mesh Doggles on Murph for a short while, but my dogs just didn't take to any of them. Everyone thought he was blind when he had the soft-mesh Doggles on. Bosco, my Schnauzer who passed away last year, would wear the Doggles, but my other three have never adapted to wearing them routinely.

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_MURPHINSOFT-MESHDOGGLES2.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_MURPHINSOFT-MESHDOGGLES1.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_BLINDMANMURPHY3.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_BOSCO.jpg
  2. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    A friend had this Harley sidecar body that he offered me at a very reasonable price, so I'm going to see if it can be fitted properly to the Velorex frame.

It has higher sides and a much larger cockpit than the Velorex 262 with plenty of space for the two pooches, plus I think has nicer lines and certainly a better finished appearance.

Tomorrow I'm going to yank the Velorex body off and see how she lines up.

It's hard to tell from this photo, but the Harley body is about 5-6" longer than the Velorex and it has a cutout in the bottom that the Velorex lacks, but sizewise it looks like it should fit.

Photo:
    [​IMG]

More later...
  3. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it should have an outboard on the back. I like the shape and looks. If it's glass you can alway's take out the cutout later. Great thing about glass is you can change it any way you want. I still think a dual-cowl phaeton look would be the bomb-diggety but it would require a bit more work. Be nice to have a little space in the back for gear and road tools(beer). That might be the one. If so it would save you a lot of work. I've alway's said I want to come back as one of my dogs after I die. I think I've changed my mind.:wink:

Troutrider
  4. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...I couldn't wait until today, so around 11 last night I started unbolting and removing the stock body, then set the Harley one on the frame to check fitment.

Not a perfect fit, but with a few spacers it'll work just fine. Even the seat and luggage rack from the Velo will fit with a few mods.

Around 1 a.m. (not attached, just sitting on the frame):

Side:
    [​IMG]

Front:
    [​IMG]

Will work on mounting it up today.
  5. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    My buddy Joe and I mounted the Harley sidecar body today on the Velorex frame. [​IMG]

Haven't had a chance to try it yet. We looked up after spending most of an hour on our backs starting or tightening nuts and bolts and there was snow everywhere.

I also mounted the luggage rack from the Velo onto the Harley body and used some cool plastic flush caps we found at the hardware store to hide the holes.

Still have to brace the seat with a couple of 2x4s and work out where to put eyebolts for the dogs' harnesses, but hopefully this weekend all three of us will ride together!

Stay tuned...
  6. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    Looks like all three are ready.
  7. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    ...this afternoon. No problems.

[​IMG]
    Tomorrow hopefully both dogs will join me (still have to rig their harness attachment points).
  8. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Got the harness-mounting hardware installed and went for a quick - 5 minute - ride near the house. Temperatures in the low 30s for the high today, so maybe tomorrow for an extended ride.

No dogs were harmed on this ride though. Plenty of room now for both Goldies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    I like and from the faces they want to go farther.
  10. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Sixty-mile test ride with the pups:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="800" height="800" id="ssidx"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2010121201.swf" /><param name="flashVars" value="AlbumID=15734852&AlbumKey=pKzNN&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2010121201&width=800&height=800&clickToImage=true&captions=true&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=true&splash=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smugmug.com%2Fimg%2Fria%2FShizamSlides%2Fsmugmug_black.png&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2010121201.swf" flashVars="AlbumID=15734852&AlbumKey=pKzNN&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2010121201&width=800&height=800&clickToImage=true&captions=true&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=true&splash=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smugmug.com%2Fimg%2Fria%2FShizamSlides%2Fsmugmug_black.png&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350" width="800" height="800" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" ></embed></object>
  11. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  12. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Hey bud, did you get the Victory hack from Doug?
  13. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Yup
  14. LisaS

LisaS Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the jackets on the pups!
    My pups are totally jealous!!!
    Thanks for posting this thread- I am hoping to set something up for my dogs- I always feel guilty leaving them at home when we go out to ride.
  15. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    My quest for a sidecar large enough for both dogs began a couple of months ago when I took Roscoe - the bigger dog in the rear (in brown jacket) - for a two-hour ride one Sunday afternoon.

When we got home my wife met us at the door, arms crossed, brow wrinkled: "You've GOT to find a way to ride both dogs! Bailey cried and cried and just walked from the front to the back door the whole time you were gone." Our neighborhood frequently has folks on bikes passing through on Sundays and my wife added that: "Every time she heard a bike she'd run to the front door and when she'd see it wasn't you she'd cry some more."

Bailey takes everything to heart, and being left behind when Roscoe gets to go is the ultimate insult for her. (And yes, I know she is spoiled rotten)

It may not be evident in the photos here, but she was happy as a hog in slop riding yesterday!
  16. coupe1942

coupe1942 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My two dogs are generally impatient and will bark and bark when I put on my helmet or if I hit the start button on my rig. Yesterday, I was adjusting some camera mount angles and they both, Murph and Dusty, looked so very disgusted in waiting for me to get my ass into gear and let them ride. It was funny to see the expression on their faces at the time. Sadness and frustration was pretty quickly removed, the instant the garage door opened up though. :-)

I had a Golden Retriever, named Buddy, several years back. Man, did I love that dog. He chewed through everything, in cluding my tv remotes, my wall in the laundry room, my expensive couch, several outside water hoses and sprinklers, pulled my plumbing out from the house once and a whole host of other things, but he was great. His smile and devotion was amazing and could make you laugh till you wet your pants, even when he did all of the above. I bought a cheap Wally World tent and filled it with straw. It was his "Pup Tent" and he really loved it, too. Goldens are great pals.

Murphy and Dusty, The Odd Couple:

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_THEODDCOUPLE1.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_THEODDCOUPLE2.jpg

Buddy, a real great pal:

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_Buddyspuptent.jpg
    https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/a/a1930ford_Buddyslaugh.jpg
  17. casey sohc

casey sohc Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was on a ride last summer for "thunder in the highlands and this guy built this combo,the dogs would fit side by side so they woundn't get jelous of each other lol...he has ridden this over 90k and has had no problems.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Since I posted last I've made a few more mods to the Victory hack.

I purchased a front wheel that matches the one on the front of the bike from another inmate last year and had a machinist buddy fab up an axle, then my brother helped me widen the fiberglass fender by 3" to match the new, larger and wider wheel. This gives the rig a wider stance by almost three inches and the greater weight outside the car really improved the tendency of the chair to fly when not occupied by the dogs or a passenger:

[​IMG]

I had a brushed aluminum gas cap with the Victory script logo that came with the bike sitting on the shelf. The plastic that attached the metal to the screw-in cap was busted when I got it, but I couldn't bring myself to trash it. Turned out that it was the perfect size to make a decorative cap to hide the screw holes for the aluminum cap my machinist made to keep dust out of the hub.

Before adding decorative cap:

[​IMG]

With modified gas cap:
    [​IMG]

Then just before Christmas I added a windscreen to the bike (much nicer at speed on the slab!):

[​IMG]
  19. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Sweet! :clap
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    This confused me until I realized that when you said "improved the tendency" you meant the improvement to be that it does not fly so easily. I had just seen another thread where a guy had improved the tendency of his bike to do wheelies and of course he meant the opposite--that now it wheelies more easily.

Anyway, that new wheel is fabulous! And the hub cap is a really nice touch.

I have taken many pictures of my dogs so I realize that to get those two beauties to pose so perfectly you probably had to shoot 2000-3000 exposures just to get a couple worthy of posting. Nice job! :clap