So we've all heard/seen the 650 xchallenge...let's see your XCOUNTRY!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Olas, Dec 3, 2007.

1. pibyk

pibyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    More specifically here is the cannisterectomy.

I tried reusing the stainless straps from the cannister mount with some rubber strips to hold an MSR fuel bottle directly, but they quickly broke from offroad pounding as they are just way too thin. I have been 2 years now on my Tool Tube setup with some simple brackets I made and it has held up fine, better than expected actually. Well worth the money. Also carry a 5' clear plastic siphon tube, you can take off a side panel and store it under the faux gas tank cover above the airbox (along with a 19" spare tube for your tire inside of a Tyvek bag (free from the US Postal Service)).
  3. snooker

Oddometer:
    Wow McGiggle! That is quite an adventure, I have always marveled at the Darien gap and you are Livin' the Dream baby! :clap

And Donnh just what kind of adventure are you cooking up? And is Deb going (but not on an XCo then on what?)... We gotta know what bike she would rather be on than an XCo???
  4. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Snooker - yes, South America this time (Yikes) . I'm putting together a blog :D www.ADVdonnh.com click on the MotoRaidII tab to read about the trip. Subscribe if you want updates, I will probably get an ADVrider RR going as well. We leave in a few weeks :eek1

Deby is joining us on her 2011 G650GS. I've been pretty busy getting it all farkled up, a few pictures HERE.

I was at the local BMW dealer yesterday and Deby's Xcountry sold to a woman who also rides an SV650, Maybe she'll show up here in the near future. I sold the Aux tank and soft panniers to a local inmate who bought drone's bike.
  5. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Awesome, that is super clean. My in house MSR bottle is too small in diameter. Order pending.
    Thanks!
  6. mcgiggle

mcgiggle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    As the title says Caf's rear shock has blown (the day we are back on the road after my Ohlins was fixed!).
    Does anybody know a shop that would be able to fix it? We cross into Nicaragua today heading north, NYC being the finish.

Cheers
    Pete (& Caf)
  7. snooker

Oddometer:
    No idea but another contact is Ted Porter at Beemershop.com near San Francisco area 831-438-1100.

He recently took a trip to the Netherlands and went to several factories and is now selling not only Wilbers but is the US distributor for Tractive and Yacugar.
    Apparently Yacugar is a new line from Hyperpro with a progressive spring. They are all companies with designers from WP that have all branched out to other companies. He is very eager to help people so who knows?

Keep digging around Adv and you will hopefully find a local connection. In case this helps and you don't know, a good way to search ADV with google is to include: site:advrider.com in the search. If you keep seeing your own posts use -mcgiggle. Like:
    site:advrider.com nicaragua shock repair shop -mcgiggle

And if you want to only look on a certain thread include something from the name of the thread in quotes, that shows up on every page, like:
    site:advrider.com hyperpro "see your xcountry"

Here's one but probably mostly Costa Rica shops, haven't read it: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574056
    I also had the impression there are a lot more guys living in Costa Rica on Adv than I expect there would be in Nicaragua. I know of a guy who summers in my area and winters in CR if that would help PM me.
  8. snooker

Oddometer:
    Ok Deby that bike looks appropriate for this trip, we forgive you for selling your XCountry... Wow what an adventure planned! :norton

I just bought a Garmin Montana to replace my tiny screen 60Csx, they apparently are a dream in every way (Tracks AND Routes with autorouting, and a giant bright screen maybe I can now actually see!) Upgrade for Deby's Christmas present! (shhhh!)
  9. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I picked this up a couple of months ago. Glad to see this bike still getting attention on here! I've done quite a bit of farkleing since this was taken though, I'll update a photo or two soon.
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a huge amount of useful info on this thread. A lot of issues that you may confront are described and solved here. I'd hate to see this thread dissolve into abscurity now that the bikes are no longer produced!
  11. danielks

danielks Adventurer

Oddometer:

Donnh... are you coming to south america ??? will you ride Sao PAulo, BRazil ???
  12. danielks

danielks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone here tired of your BMW tinted windscreen ??? I want to buy one!!!

RegardS!!
  13. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ha! i want one of those too. soooo expensive new from BMW though.
  14. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Custom GPS mount.

[​IMG]

Centerstand.

[​IMG]

Handguards and bags in background.

[​IMG]

Windscreen by GIVI

[​IMG]
  15. none

none Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking it out on a drizzzly day @ Lake Lanier.

[​IMG]
  16. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey that windscreen is nice!
  17. Pescador

Pescador Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THANKS FOR THE INFO. MY WINDSHIELD WILL BE HERE TOMORROW.
    YOUR BIKE IS LOOKING GOOD!!

Bret

18. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    which Givi windshield is that? looks like a really great fit, I'd love one for my bike.
    edit: just went to givi website, it appears to be the A210?
  19. valkrider.de

valkrider.de Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

my wife's and my XCountry near San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy, fall 2012[​IMG]
  20. catneck

catneck Rabid Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I was there last fall. Unfortunately in a rental car. I was sure missing riding in that beautiful area. Thanks for the picture!