Who started riding after age 30

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Shoganai, May 23, 2005.

1. jpaparicio

jpaparicio n00b

Oddometer:
    I started at 32, a year ago in a 02 640 adv.
    I loved it, an I really have liked dirt.
    Now I have a 05 640 adv and learning every day something new.
    I ride almost every day on street to work and weekends I do dirt.

By the way, Any suggestions on:
    Lights mods?
    Full vs Slip on Akra?
    Standing vs Sitting in dirt/gravel roads? (sahara tires)
    GPS?

I am knowledge hungry.
  2. bdezz

bdezz CuriousDezz

Oddometer:
    Always scared of bikes till my graduate advisor at the time (riding a '87 BMW K100LT) and a friend (yr? mod? Honda 750) wore me down with endless chatter about how much fun it was, blah, blah. Got my attention (also single again at the time), started thinking about it, wanted a change and decided to at least take a motorcyle safety course ($75! for 6 weeks, 3hrs per, and licence testing at the end). Loved it! Ended up buying my advisor's Beemer. Bit of a poser bike (in retrospect)!!

About 2 months later I moved across Canada via the top of the US (better roads, better hotels, cheaper gas) with a full load (on the bike...) to the west coast for a new job. Crashed the bike after I got out here, fixed it up and then sold it about 2 years later. Regretted it. Change of jobs/scene/life, moved into Vancouver, bought a '71 R75/5 and rode that for a couple of years and sold that.

Change jobs, got involved in refurbing a '72 slash 5 "Toaster Tank" as part of a storefront school mechanics project and bought the bike at the end of the year. Moved family to the interior BC (Okanagan) with an eye on something bigger...the gnarly 1150GS. Researched all I could on it and decided that was the bike for me. Made some offers on a couple to only have them sold out from under me! grrrrr... Persistent twit that I am, I kept looking.

Decided to sell the /5 so I could move on. Although a fun bike, I wanted more opportunity to explore on or off road (inherited a '84 Honda Trail 70, so it serves to give daughter and boy some fun rides). Wife liked the looks of the R90S Daytona Orange after having seen one at our local, friendly Dave's BMW/VW garage (Vernon). Said, "Why don't you get one like that!" I immediately obeyed and picked one up half hoping she'd finally go thru with getting her licence, or at least daughter in another 8-10 years.

About a month later I'm cruising on this site in the Flea Mkt and come upon an ad ffrom a guy I'd been chatting to last summer about his bike. Made the arrangements and sent him the $$ as soon as I could: 2002 R1150GS Adventure (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2099115&posted=1#post2099115). Now the R90S is going on the auction block. Headin' to OR to take possession of the new beast in March, then off to San Fran for a conference in April...will start counseling in December...:rofl

Funny how such a simple mode of transport can so infect you!?
  3. JohnnyBlueLightnin

JohnnyBlueLightnin Will ride for fun

Oddometer:
    This is my first post here. I've been a lurker for a year.

I bought my first bike in 1999. I was 35. I'd been a gear head and messed around with cars for years. Then I had a couple of boats before getting another Mustang. I decided I wanted to try riding. I got my learners permit and bought a used 1989 Kawasaki LTD454. I took the MSF course and got my license. the bike had carb varnish problems which led to other problems and the bike was broken down for a good month. I sold it after a year, deciding I had other things I needed to spend money on. I did not regret waiting until 35 to get a bike. I wanted a dirtbike as a kid but there was no way my parents would let me. I was without a bike for almost a year and one saturday woke up and decided to buy another bike. I bought a 1990 Yamaha Radian (600cc) that day. I rode the Radian sparingly and I knew it needed new tires. I started buying bike magazines and checking dealers for tires. I ended up buying a leftover Kawasaki ZR-7 in Feb. of 2002. I sold the Radian. I started riding the ZR more than the other bikes, getting in 5000 miles the first year. I still have and love the ZR. Last year I bought a used 2001 KLR650. It was a fun bike but after damaging my left shoulder and requiring rotator cuff surgery over the summer I sold the KLR. I still miss it.
    Last month I nearly traded the ZR in on a 2002 Triumph tiger. I really like the Tiger but since my daughter is going to college in 2007 I decided to keep my paid for ZR. Some day I'll have another DS or an adventure bike. Maybe some day I'll have a real adventure.
    I will also be attending the MSFIP classes starting next month in hopes of becoming an MSF instructor.
  4. mgarrett

mgarrett How far to Murphy?

Oddometer:
    I started riding at 16, a Yamaha 175 Enduro, then a Suzuki 250 street bike, finally a Yamaha 650 that I sold in 1977 when I got married so we could buy some furniture.

Zoom 27 years into the future, 2004, kids grown, income up, spare time again, etc....

In 2004, at 48 years of age, I bought my next bike, a Suzuki DRZ400s, ridden mostly on trails and forest roads in western NC with two trips to the Gunnison/Crested Butte trails area thrown in. Fun, lots of fun, but my middle aged body doesn't take the unplanned stops (you know, bike goes one way, rider goes another, usually on big rocks/fallen logs/steep slopes/deep mud/sand/wheel ruts/narrow trail/etc.) like it did at 16.

Zoom 2 years into the future, 2006, at 50 years of age, I bought a BMW R1200GS. I've only put about 50 miles on it in the last couple of weeks, between work, cold, and snow I've not been able to do more than that but I am looking forward to quite a lot of road riding in the near future, both paved and unpaved. I'm keeping the DRZ for now for offroad riding too.

Thoughts...

Off road riding is as much fun at 50 as it was at 16, although the body complains a lot more. The BMW is going to make the road riding much more comfortable allowing much longer rides. I'm really looking forward to warm weather arriving soon. Looking at the "missing" 27 years I wonder why I didn't get back to riding sooner.
  5. jetshusband

jetshusband n00b

Oddometer:
    How about after 60 !!

Honda VLX 3000 miles on it and sold it
    Vulcan 1500 Fi Classic 10,000 miles+ still have it
    2004 Goldwing 13,000 miles crashed it.
    2006 Goldwing "0" miles on order.
  6. dpippin

dpippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doug here.
    I was almost 30. Actually 28.
    My first bike was a Honda SL90
    Rode that for a few months and entered something that was brand new at the time called a motocross.
    By the time I got to the first corner I new that the little Honda was a POS for this kind of thing so I bought a brand new 1969 Penton 125.
    Rode in the northern Michigan woods for about a year and then started doing enduros.
    A bike would only last me at the most 2 years so I went through a lot of them.
    Had quite a few Penton's then KTM's then later IT Yamaha's.
    Was Senior Enduro champion one year and retired from racing after that.
    Still did a lot of woods riding in northern Michigan.
    Didn't know it at the time but Michigan has some of the best trail riding anywhere.
    You could ride in the woods for a week and never cross your trail.

Later I bought a road bike a 1978 Yamah 750. Three cylinders.
    Then an ST1100 in 1990.
    All this time I was still pleasure riding in the woods but did start to get serious about road riding.
    Sold the ST1100 because I was pushing to it's limits and felt if I continued I would crash big time.
    Bought a 98 CBR900RR. That was quite a change from the ST1100 but loved that bike.
    In 1998 I retired from work and in 2000 moved to Asheville NC.

The twisty roads here are great but the off road stuff sucks. Not much of any place to ride so I sold my dirt bike and bought a whale. The whale is a KLR650.
    Have three bikes now.
    02 KLR650
    98 VFR800
    05 SV650S

They're all good for what they're made for.
    The SV is a great mountain bike once I fixed the POS suspension.

Nothing wrong with starting late, I'm still riding at 65

If you're in the area look me up.
    We've got some of the best twisty roads you can find anywhere.
    Won't tell you where they are but will be glad to show them to you.

Doug

7. johnb

johnb n00b

Oddometer:
    At age 36 I bought my first motorcycle_ a new 1970 Bultaco Matador. I only intended to use it to go farther into the woods than a day long hike would take me. About two weeks later I realized that I realy liked speed. A year later there was a lot of new parts and welding on the bultaco! Since then: Suzuki TS 250, Bultaco Alpina, Montessa Cota, Yamaha Trials 250, Suzuki Gs 850, another GS 850, 15 year abscence, 2001 Harley Dana Glide T-Sport, 2005 BMW R1200RT. The Harley has 79,000 miles on it and the BMW 7000.:1drink
  8. ERUPTION

ERUPTION eruption

Oddometer:
    In 1998 I bought a Honda Shadow ACE 750 - Copper/Black (the only good paint scheme for that bike-ever).
    I was 31 going on 32.. just finished my MSF course and this bike was all I could afford. Insurance was a big factor too.
    I rode the bike 7500 miles the first year. Mostly commuting to work and stuff. The first month was a battle with Ciccadas (Nashville-May 1998)! They are giant bugs that come out every 12-14 years and last about a month. The best analogy... Ride a cruiser down the interstate getting shot repeatedly with a paintball gun by a man in a pickup truck in front of you with good eyesight :2gunsOW OW OW OW OW
    I moved to Birmingham, AL with the bike and had a blast... until...
    I took advantage of a great deal on renting a Valkyrie Interstate the Summer of 2000. I rode for 2 weeks from Phoenix, AZ to Laramie, WY and back again. 2400 miles of mountains! That can be another thread someday...
    Now, Shadow too small. I Sold the bike and got ready to buy a touring cruiser when I got word I might lose my job (company almost sold-downsizing, etc.). The money evaporated into paying down credit cards and debt.
    I finally bit the big one and bought my Suzuki DL1000K5 int February 2005. If I didn't do it then.. It would be never... 39 years old and having a great time. I expect to do more than just commute. The bike will never be too smal. I hope I can hang onto it until I pay for it. :evil
  9. bgeezer

bgeezer cherry

Oddometer:
    This is my first time, promise you'll be gentle.

My parents had always equated motorcycles with death and destruction, so I was forbidden, as a child, to ever ride let alone own one. After the Army I married into a motorcycle family. My wife's father raced hare scrambles and enduros on weird marques; Hodakas, Bultacos and Rokons. Her mother rode a RD350 after a long string of BSA's (Bastard Stopped Again) She and her brother were trail riding gromits on various and sundried Kawasakis.

Anyhow, After being married for seven years and lugging the (seized)hulk of her mom's RD from house to house, I finally realized that there was actually a cool motorcycle under that huge Purple Rain style fairing.

I mentioned rebuilding it and Saundra's eyes lit up. Her mom had died about ten years previous and the bike was a very tangible link for Saundra.

Settled, Wife wants to resume riding, I want to begin riding, and I'm a sucker for nostalgia and mechanical projects.

Long story short, rebuilt the bike, rode it– hooked.

The first bike with my name on the paperwork though, was/is a 1970 CT90. I am currently lusting after a KLR or a DR (I change my mind every week)

Thanks
  10. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is for anyone who started riding after age 30.

Age 44

2. What was your first bike?

2001 BMW 1150GS ( Blue and White) I used to wash my bikes then

3. How do you feel about starting so late?

Better than never starting, besides I would have likely killed or injured myself if I had started riding any earlier

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?

2001 GS Died of too many warranty claims 24K Miles in 20 months

2003 GS Adventure 50K miles in 17 months - Died of too many warranty claims

2004 BMW K 1200LT - 10,000 Miles Knocked Down Turn 5 Laguana Seca at a Reg Pridmore Riding School

2004 Honda Goldwing 100K Miles I Hit a Moose in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally, finished the Rally and the Wing was written off

Both my wife and I started to ride at the same time it has been a great experience for both of us. I have crossed the continent 10 plus times and have had some great riding adventures including finishing the 2005 & 2007 Iron Butt Rally.

Currently BMW K1200GT & KTM990. My total mileage is now over 200K Miles

Her Bike History

1997 BMW 650 Funduro 4K Traded In

1999 1100R 20K Traded In

2002 1150R 25 K Traded in

2006 FJR 1300 45K & 2007 BMW 650 GS 12 K

My Wife has made two significant solo trips ( 6-8 days) ridden the Baja, earned the IBA Master Traveller Award, and this year (2008) we rode to Inuvik in June and Florida and back for Bike Week.

We try to take riding courses annually to stay sharp
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Started in 2001 on a VS800 Intruder and managed 30,700km in 54 weeks upon which I was hit by a drunk driver. Moved to a 2001 VS1400 Intruder in June of 2002 and managed to put 45,000km on it over the next 3 seasons. During that time I also put aprox 5000km on a friends BMW F650gs. Traded the 2001 VS1400 Intruder in on the Strom which arrived on April 1st 2005. When I last took it out on January 13th I had over 30,000km on the od. Since I liked the Intruder so much, I picked up a 96 VS1400 with 128,000km on the od to keep as a "toy"

As for staring late I was 35 and I honestly never thought I would ride a motorcycle. I thought you had to be "crazy" to ride a bike in a large city. I'm averaging 22,000km per season and am a qualified Canada Safety Council Motorcycle Instructor entering my 3rd season as a teacher :deal
  12. lycosthenes

lycosthenes locomotive breath

Oddometer:
    Like some other posters here, I started riding again after 14 yrs of not riding. I'm 53 now.I'd ridden most of my life, started at 16 with a royal Enfield 350 I had to hide from my parents. I quit riding after getting hit bad 6 times in 6 months. The last time was on a Yamaha dt400 I was riding on our dirt road and my neighbor's daughter who had just got her license head onned me. She didn't even slow down. I went into the windshield & up and over the back of her station wagon . She knocked the bike about 40 feet.Minor injuries w/ no gear or helmet! 14 yrs later w/ gas over 3 bucks a gallon I gotta get something w/ better fuel mileage. Small car or bike?Now I ain't exactly petite and the thought of driving some little shitbox uncomfortable car made me puke. A bike? I was filled w/ trepidation with the thought of riding again. If I was gonna get a bike it had to have big engine, good on the freeway & dirt, shaft drive, abs. Wond up buying a used 2001 1150 gs from Santa Cruz BMW (thanks Shawn!). I was still shellshocked after 14 yrs. Every time a car would go by I thought they were going to swerve into me , pull out in front of me, etc. Man I was skeered & shakin. Now I'm comfortable riding again, I love it, and I never want to quit riding again. It gets in your blood and you just gotta have it .:ricky
  13. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a kid I got an introduction to "speed" via my cousin's Honda ATC70 flying through the stubble of a corn field, grin spread wide across my face. She and I both graduated to a new Honda ATC90 and I thought that was the most powerful thing I would ever drive :D

A few years later a Briggs & Stratton 3.5 Hp found its way onto a mini-bike frame and I scootered around the neighborhood at "wide-open throttle" (MAYBE 18mph LOL!).

Married at 20, chased a career to 30 then FINALLY defied my parents and bought a Honda ACE 1100. Still riding her, but hopefully something a little more fun will find its way into my garage later this year.

Thats it, thats my story.
  14. franmotott

franmotott n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, here's my story:
    I'm now 52, and i started riding the year I turned 40.
    Technically, this is not 100% true... I had had a moped and a motorbike when I was 19-21, but both for a short time, and anyway the technology was so crude back then that I think my second beginning is the real one.
    The reason I came (back) to bikes at 39 was meeting a group of guys at a family reunion who were riding Honda XR's. One of my cousins was a semi-pro rider at the time (10 Dakars under hios belt among other things), and these guys were his friends. They urged me to try one of the bikes, which I did... and after that there was no looking back. One week later I had my own Honda XR600...great bike, although not exactly a beginner's one.
    To make a long story short, after that I had a KTM 300 EXC, a KTM 380 EXC, a Honda CR250, a Honda XR 650, a KTM 520 EXC. I was basically only riding offroad, which is my first love. In 2004 I bought a KTM LC8, which I presently keep, together with a 2005 EXC 525 just for offroad.
    In those 12 years I broke a collarbone and a leg, plus assorted bruises and cuts. Was it worth it ? Absolutely. The injuries are a fair price to pay for all the great moments. Right now I have my left leg in a cast, and I can't wait to have it removed to get back on two wheels. I hope to be able to ride until I am REALLY old. I am usually the old geezer in any group I ride with, but who cares ?
    I say there is no age limit to start biking. If you feel the urge, go for it !
  15. kam

kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started at 29...now 37.

In order:
    1998 R1200C
    2000 R1100RT
    2001 R1100S
    2002 aprilia milleR
    2003 aprilia tuonoR
    2003 triumph bonneville
    2006 R1200GS

currently have the last 4. Don't know why I started riding. Was in college, med school and residency through most of my 20's and wanted to do something for myself when I passed my boards. Was always into mtn biking, so this was the next progression...A decision I've never regretted!
  16. Timbow

Timbow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While 45 years old and on a mission trip to reservation in central SD with some kids from church and a buddy who has always been a biker (60's style), we found ourselves with an open day at the end of the week. Just so happend that Bike Week was starting in Sturgis that weekend. We took a ride in a church van with a couple of adults and one kid who we knew to be a bike enthusiast. Maybe not the most Christian environment we could have selected, but sounded like fun. The pastor back home was a rider too, so we figured we were covered. There was nothing but leather, chrome, rumbling and good times happening everywhere:evil. I was inspired.

We got back to church that next Sunday and I was approached by the pastor and a couple others about so-and-so having their bike for sale. My inspiration was apparent to others about becoming a 'biker'. My wife said 'go ahead and take a look at it'. I heard "Go buy it!!" I did. A Yamaha 1600cc Millenium Edition Roadstar. Not a bad bike to start off with! To bad I didn't know how to ride it, that would have made it better yet! I had to ask my buddy to drive it home for me. It was even bigger than his bike. Well I rode that 750# beast around on the front yard (I live on a dirt road out in the country) for a couple of weeks getting acclimated. I took a written test at the MI secretary of State that after passing said I could ride with endorsed motorcyclists now. What good they would do me on thier own bikes, I'll never know.

Anyhow, the gang from church took me for my maiden voyage...I then realized there are cars on the road , lights, stop signs, hills, curves (unlike my front yard). My maiden voyage was a 250 mile jaunt in the country and I had NEVER HAD RIDDEN BEFORE! Talk about trial by fire! Good thing it was a church event, so to speak, because I was praying the whole time. I only crossed into oncoming traffic on a tight curve once, got to pass on a twisty two-lane, crossed train tracks at the bottom of a big hill and stalled out and had to head for the gravel shoulder because somebody turned my fuel shutoff. Needless to say I didn't need to use the facilities for a week until the pucker went away:eek1 .

I then took my MSF class and learned how to turn and brake and ride and understand what a motorcycle(ist) should and shouldn't do. That sure would have been handy for my maiden voyage! I was hooked after the class. I'm beginning my third full riding season now and have owned the Yamaha, a F650GS and just picked up my third bike - a '98 R110GS.
  17. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    I was 28 when I started riding. That's close enough, right?

I had wanted to ride for some time before I really got into it 2 years ago. I had even purchased 2 bikes: at 17 and 23. Both times I scared the shit out of myself the first/only time I rode them. I talked about it with my wife and she would just say 'No.' One day I said I wanted to buy a bike and she said 'Go for it!' I asked what changed and she said 'You changed'.

Before 28, I had only talked about speed and doing stupid stuff on the bike. However, I had been talking about the physics of it, gear, how to handle a bike. She said that make all the difference.

I researched bikes and bought a Kawasaki ZR-7S. Heavy, slow bike. I think its a good beginner.

I never could get into an MSF course. They were filled on the weeks I had available. I finally had a former-MSF instructor who works with me, run me a dedicated class over 2 weekends. $100 and a case of beer.:deal

1.5 years on the Kawasaki and I never dropped it and never got a scratch on it. I decided it was time to move to something else. In rapid succession, I went through an 1100RT and a SV650. I didn't like them. Personal preference, they were both nice bikes. I found a 2001 Ducati ST4 and bought it. I love that bike. It really speaks to me.

First night with the Duc: I drop it in the garage trying to get it up on the center stand. I am standing there staring at it on its side, hands on my head, yelling 'SHIT, SHIT, SHIT...' My wife runs out to the garage and says 'Cheater. That doesn't count as your first drop.' 4 months later I swerve to hit a dog and lowside it over a curb. :cry
  18. Skibum

Skibum Ready...Fire...Aim

Oddometer:
    Had a bit of experience as a kid but basically started 3 years ago at 45. Took the MSF class and started on a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. Still have it but am selling it to go to a V-Strom. When I started I was influenced by the cruiser trend. Thought that was the way to go. Finally had an epiphany when I had a chance to ride a couple dual sports. Realized they were way more fun than my Shadow, which has been a great bike BTW. I like riding and could care less about the image. My biggest issue with cruisers isn't the bikes themselves but the old geezers like me I'd come across trying to look like Hell's Angels. Cracks me up.

Jeff
  19. ChuckS

ChuckS Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    What was I thinking--- My finance dumped me, and would not leave my life. I needed something I might enjoy & would scare the hell out of me. A distraction. Bought my first bike at 38.

It was a GS500 and was a great bike to learn on, but was quickly outgrown. I ride interstates & fire roads, both weak points on the GS500.

Starting late was fine, I've always had plenty to keep me busy.

I now have a V-Strom 650 & love it. It works great on everything but mud & sand, which I normally avoid anyway. It's fun, and it's a bit cheaper to run than my F150. I'm pretty comfortable on it. Now it's women that scare the hell out of me. :D

BTW, the GS500 is still for sale. Some kid gave me a nice deposit & never came through with payment.
  20. davetacoma

davetacoma Dave, just Dave...

Oddometer:
    ...of course I wanted one at 15. That didn't happen. (Usual Mom -- No!) Years pass, kids arrive, college payments happen. Cripes, they're still happening!

If I had a clue how much effing fun these things would be... blah, blah, blah. Better late than never.

I picked up an '83 Honda 650 Nighthawk -- the one with the hydraulic valves and shaft drive -- from an older guy who isn't going to ride anymore. He bought it new and took pretty good care of it. It's not pristine in the looks department, but it's better than OK for a 23 year old bike. Some minor work, a tune-up and new tires and I was off. Right now, I am waiting arrival of a starter relay switch that went TU after two months of commuting. My first attempt at "wrenching my own" (uh, did that come out right?)

This bike is not much of an ADV-type bike in the classic mold, but it is the bike I have now, so it will do. I am hunting down an appropriate dual sport bike right now -- maybe even have found one: a tricked out XR600R that has been beautifully dual-sported by the owner. Now if the kid who is in line in front of me to buy it craps out on the deal, I'll be set. I'll keep the Nighthawk, though.

BTW, hello to all. This is my first post, as I am still rummaging through the various forums. There's a lot of ground here to cover.

Cheers, :beer