The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments Tim!

About the TT guards... They come as a package to replace the possum scraper.

After 500 miles the rear brake guard on had broken at the rear mount where it is bent up 90º from horizontal to vertical. After several emails back and forth they sent me a new one - but I had to pay to return to busted one. Then after another few hundred miles the new one broke exactly the same way. This time I used some JB Weld epoxy putty to fix it and it's been that way for almost 30K miles.

The TT Chain Guard developed a crack just aft of the rear vertical/diagonal section after around 10K miles and I smeared on some JB Weld to arrest its progress which so far has held. I decided it wasn't worth the effort to get another from TT since it'd likely do the same thing.

Also, the black tubular steel mounting for the TT rear rack (which I primarily got to keep the big BMW tail bag from drooping over onto the rear turn signals) cracked and broke due to a flimsy and poorly welded design. I had a buddy who welds repair it and it's doing great. Again, I saw no point in getting another inferior replacement from TT since it would break the same way in a few months no doubt.

It pisses me off that the TT quality is so poor on some items, but they are still the only source for some items - like the footpeg relocation kit and OEM handguard extensions.

BTW, in the next week or so when I finally wear out the current Mefos on the bike I'm going to try a 606 rear and MT 21 front combo for a couple of months (this is the rainy/muddy season here in Alabama). I've heard lots of good things about this combo.
  2. underwaterguru

underwaterguru Moto shop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love it when I have to look up a new word. I am going to put pro tapers on mine and keep the hot grips. I have not done it so not sure of any problems.

"Well chuffed you started this thread,"
  3. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed answer the reason I asked. Is I have them on order now.
    I will kook at them close, too see if I can see the weak spots and reinforce them before I have a problem.
    Tim
  4. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    While we are talking about Dakar's.
    I have a post on f-650.com about a wiggle or weave while hard on the front brake. Could you all give it a look and see if you have any ideas.
    Thanks
    Tim
    If this is a no no asking others to look at a post on another site please nuke it and tell me to behave.
  5. underwaterguru

Oddometer:
    The post on that other site is fine by me. Looks like the steering bearings go out around 20k. Mine is stiff under braking at 13k and will get a new set soon. Hope this helps.
  6. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only problem you will encounter is that the "hot grips" are hard wired in and go through/inside the standard handlebars. The way around this is to put in electrical connectors so the heated grips can be unplugged easily. I would do this before you change the bars as it will make it easier to fiddle around with when reconnecting the heated grips. Good luck.
  7. mcgiggle

mcgiggle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had a look at the bars and when I change them I think i'm going to go with pro taper SE as it's going to work out much cheaper ( already have Acerbis handguards so would need new mounts ) and going to look at routing the cables outside the bars but this just turned up so that's this weekend sorted
    [​IMG]
    petew likes this.
  8. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oooooh, thats nice!!
  9. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Love this bike. Best travel bike I've owned, but than again I've only owned 2 :shog

Way to many mods to list, but I supposed the most important are:

Wilbers shock and Race Tech emulators
    Stainless steel oil filter
    Neoprene gaiters or face changing seals
    Datel volt meter or face running down the battery
    Maintenance free battery
    Heaps of electrics
    Stebel electric horn (no moving parts)
    Home made fairing guards (must do mod)
    Bash plate extension (dito)
    Head light guard
    Hand guards
    Renthal bars while keeping electric grips. No machining required. Just re-wire the grips. Piece of cake. It's only resistance wire for F sake :evil
    Engine crash bars
    In-line fuel filter
    Foam between frame and radiator or face buying a new radiator (must do mod)
    Chicken wire radiator rock guard
    NB's Crap flap (must do mod)
    Fumoto oil valve
    Unifilter air filter (must do mod)
    TT counter sprocket guard
    Flexible oil return hose
    Bar risers
    FAR mirrors
    Fastway pegs

More info on the following pages

http://tacostyringtravels.blogspot.com/2008/10/bike-modification-part-1.html

http://tacostyringtravels.blogspot.com/2008/10/bike-modification-part-2.html

Ready for adventure. Ignore the hard luggage. That'll be gone when I get them back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. underwaterguru

Oddometer:
    tmotten, I would say you are mod happy but it looks like you get out and ride the thing. Thanks for the post, I will have to look into some of the things you have done.
  11. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    TMOTTEN,
    speeking of the mods you have done... can you post some pics of the "must have mods" please?:1drink Or could you explain in detail:D ?

Thanks
  12. underwaterguru

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of upgrades with TT stuff. It just seams not to be built very good. I wonder if the TT stands for trailer trash or not? Why would you by over priced junk just to have it brake and fix it yourself? Not sure but some one is getting f***ed here and I think it us!!!!
  13. dang

dang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, That's an easy job and a nice time to inspect your rear gear carefully. I was freaked out about my Ohlins install after reading about it on another forum but it goes smoothly. Just tie back the brain, lift the sub frame and you're halfway there.

Dan
  14. jdaniele

jdaniele Long timer

Oddometer:
    While your installing that sweet Ohlins, I woud suggest you pull the swingarm and lube the bearings. I love my 03 Dakar and it has been trouble free however the factory is chinsey with the grease on ALL the bearings.
    So far I have been happy with touratech stuff, I do not have the chain gaurd due to repeated problems I have read about. The other items I have are up to par. Here are a few shots of my bike. By the way after the ohlins your going to want a set of Racetech emulators trust me it will complete the set up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree entirely. I wouldn't buy TT stuff in a pink fit, over-priced is an under-statement!!
    On my Dakar, I fabricated all of my own stuff, and did the same except for the crash bars(SW-Motech) on my F800GS. Saved a fortune and have gear that will not fail/fall apart!!
  16. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my new/used 2002 with 19,680. No ABS, no heated grips. Centerstand added by PO.

[​IMG]

I gave her a bath and added her first real farkle. A Wunderlich Low Ergo Saddle so I could get more than my toes on the ground. It's raining here so I couldn't give it a test ride but the garage test was a big :thumb .

[​IMG]
  17. tmotten

Oddometer:
    I agree. TT stuff is way overprices considering the setup they have to mass produce items. The countershaft sprocket cover I've got is a classic example. Low quality ali and not even welded (well, it looks awefully weird for a tig weld. I reckon it's epoxied on.). They count on the average BMW owner being useless in the garage but awesome with the credit card IMHO.

It was so many that I got completely sick of working on it all the time. Now that I bought a DRZ I'm just buying the stuff. Helps that the stuff for the DRZ is well designed and good quality though.
    Riding across Asia and Europe on a 20 year old XT Tenere gives you heaps of thoughts of 'neccesary' comfort and maintenance mods.

It's all on the blog sort of categorised, but when you need some more feedback let me know.

Main issues are protection and mitigating known faults. Fork seals go due to pitting of the chrome on the stanchions. I've never riden without the neoprene ones and no fork issues at all.

[​IMG]

The side crash bars are a mix between TT's and SW's.

Hand guards are a no brainer, along with the Renthal. The stock 6mm bolt just doesn't cut it. So re-wiring the heated grips becomes neccesary.

[​IMG]

For me the bash plate extension is a must. Mostly because I use the drain valve but also because I've had a lot of rock hit the crap out of it. Make some, don't buy TT's.

[​IMG]

Couldn't find a better crash bar for the engine than the BMW one. You do loose clearance, but nowhere near as much as from the SW centre stand.

If you ride dirt and gravel roads, the foam between the radiator and the centre frame is a must. Rock do fit in there carving out your radiator. While you are there you might as well bolt on some chicken wire fencing.

[​IMG]

NB's crap flap is awesome. Pitting of shock shafts is as much of an issue as pitting on the stanchions. Mine is still clean as. It won't stop volcanic ash/dust though, but nothing really does.

[​IMG]

Instead of waisting your money on TT's chain guards, just cut the possum scraper off. The plastic one is fine. Doesn't move as much as trail bike ones. I'd keep the speedo sensor guard as well.

Definately go with the unifilter. Their oil is the thickest I've seen as well.

[​IMG]

It needs a suspension upgrade. Riding with a lot of luggage always does though. Really like the emulators. Makes an amazing difference.

Other than that I'd recommend adding lubing SHB and suspension/ swingarm bearings to your schedule. No notches in the SHB in 18000km on the stock bearings.
    Birdu2 likes this.
  18. mcgiggle

mcgiggle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the score with the emulators ? Will they fit on a GS non Dakar and what are they :eek1
  19. tmotten

Oddometer:
    Check out race tech's website for info. It improves the dampening of the fork by using a different and more complex way of oil flow through the fork. The emulators replace the standard dampening rod in function. The can be adjusted to personalise the dampening level as well. Can't explain it as well as they can but.

It's worth it to me, but it's very personal. The chain gang site had a group buy and made it economical as I had to get stiffer springs anyway due to the added weight of the luggage. It give me much more feel and confidence.

99% sure they will fit as the diameter of the forks are the same. Will probably need a shorter spring though. The emulators take up space which was previously taken up by the stock spring. With the emulators you can get a shorter spring. Not sure if there if a possibility of using the stock spring with a shorter preload spacer. Been a while since I've been in there.
  20. JDRadman

JDRadman Moto Head

Oddometer: