Schuberth C3 Helmet Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Traveling Man, Mar 10, 2011.

1. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is a flap of fabric that covers the holes. For more air fold that fabric back.
  2. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah what tallrob said - if you don't believe it flows air open the vents all the way on a cold day. My head gets chilly.
  3. DGraham

DGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But I did that already. As an aside, I was wondering if doubling up of that flap is the reason for my forehead annoyance. I'm tempted to just cut the flap off, if need be in the cold a piece of tape ought to completely seal it.

I'll take a look at it again, but riding in the 40s the other day with the vents wide open, there was barely a discernible difference open vs. shut. On the other hand, there is a HUGE difference if I lift the helmet up to create some space (I assume that's what it's doing) between that cushioned strip and the space for the airflow. Because whether that flap is folded or not, that cushion can be pushed right up against the vent holes anyway.

Also, I'm not terribly worried about it, but I might as well mention it as well. The face vent also doesn't seem to do a whole lot, but I attribute that to the excellent wind protection of the Givi shield.

EDIT: While writing this I had another look, I think the cushioned strip might have been velcroed too far to the front. It has a taper too it, and the wider part of the taper was covering a good percentage of the holes. re-velcroing it further back seems to open things up. I'll test her out tomorrow.

All in all, it's a SUHWEEET helmet. Just want to make sure I'm getting my 700 bones worth!
  4. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my C-3 for several months and finally got around to installing the pinlock visor. While it does a great job at preventing the visor from fogging up it is also not very clear to see through. Did I get a bad pinlock visor or are all of them kind of cloudy? Thanks.
  5. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Make sure you peel the protective film off. If you installed the pinlock upside down you will not be able to do it (the silicone gasket should face the shield) It should be absolutely clear.

By the way make sure you do not clean the pinlock with any chemicals, it absorbs all liquids and will become cloudy.

D.

6. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    just installed my XL liner in my L helmet. The top center band now lies flat against the top of the helmet. Something that the L liner did not do and what I suspect is the source of the Mark of Schuburth and pain. I do not think the mark or pain was due to the shape of the helmet but that of the short liner. I will see this weekend if things get better. I think however, it will take a month to get a overall feeling if this new liner actually works since the more I wear it the more it will compress.
  7. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to install a Large liner in Medium helmet? I think the actual shell sizes are different and I didn't know it it would fit.
  8. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my XL liner for my L helmet out for a spin and it was paaaaaaaaainfully tight! The reason why was that the foam was very thick since it was new. I took the XL liner out and it is now residing between two big books with a 35lb iron plate on it. But I did a little experiment with my original L liner. I took a scissor to the top strap of the liner, I cut it at the back of the helmet. I see that when the liner was installed I had about 1/2 inch of a gap. I will try it out tomorrow to see if the Mark of Shuburth is finally gone. When I wore it briefly all of the tension on top of my head was gone. I'll give it a full days try tonmorrow.
  9. aprilian

aprilian Can I change this?

Oddometer:
    I have a C2 which I am considering ditching for a C3. I tried the C3 on for a short while in the store and it felt good.

My primary problem with the C2 is that I bought it on line and it is too big. I used to ride Large in Shoei and others, now I am buying Medium Shoei's and letting them break in. The medium C3 felt right.

I have used the C2 on and off (mostly as a cold weather helmet) for a couple years and would like to hear from anyone that went to the C3 from the C2 about a few specific differences.
    1) the C2 hits my shoulder doing a head check. the C3 (without a riding jacket) felt much easier to do the check. Do others feel there is more chinbar/shoulder clearance on the C3?
    2) the C2 velcro dots on the EPS (which hold the liner) kept moving around. I ended up replacing them with new ones. Is the C3 liner attachment system better?
    3) I like the C2 ability to pull out the face shield - one detent on ether side - for venting and defogging. Does the C3 shield have a similar venting option?
    4) I had to tape the two side knobs that held the shield on. One had a tendency to pop off. Has anyone had a problem with the shield retaining pieces for the C3?
    5) I have tucked the old-style HARD C-232 battery unit between the neck roll and bottom of the liner on my C2. Is there a similar space between the neck roll and the liner on the C3?

Thanks!!!!
  10. turboICE

turboICE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't the L / XL the crossover between the two different C3 shells? The XL liner would and should be thicker than the L liner in that case and the XL liner wouldn't fit properly in the L shell in any case.

The L liner allows the smaller shell to fit the largest size so it would be the thinnest liner. The XL liner allows the larger shell to fit the smallest size so it would be the thickest liner.
  11. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Yep
  12. katego

katego Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the liner, but the Men's XL cheekpads fit just fine in my women's Small C3.

-k
  13. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:

The pins are concentric. You may need to rotate them so the groove is outboard to make a tighter fit. If there's a gap in the piinlock seal-face shield mating surfaces, that's the issue, most likely.
  14. aprilian

aprilian Can I change this?

Oddometer:
    I went to the store and answered my own questions. See below...
  15. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just bought a C3 last night at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show and rode it home from LB to San Clemente. I tried on a XXL (a sample or "tester" lid I believe...) that seemed way too big so I bought the XL. I have always worn Shoei helmets, and XXL was always the size - I have a big melon... :deal

The first thing I noticed was the strap digging into my throat when I looked down at my gauges. I had to stop and try to readjust the buckle. It was very uncomfortable. I made it a bit better after the adjustment, but it still bothered me on the ride back.

The second thing I noticed was the whistling of the top of the shield at speed. My X-12 (notably the noisiest helmet on the planet) has never whistled unless the shield was not fully closed at the top. On the X-12, one in maybe 100 or so shield closures required me to push down on the top of the shield to cure the slight whistling. I could push down on the top of the C3 shield and the whistling would stop, but as soon as I let go, it would come back. I have to look at the manual today and see if there is an adjustment for how tight the shield sits against the seal around the face opening. This may be just an adjustment issue.

The last issue I had in my ride home last night was the chin vent was directing the air straight into my eyes. This issue may be a helmet sizing issue, as I believe the XL is actually too small for me, and I need to exchange it for the XXL. This would move the chin piece slightly due to the larger size and most likely direct the air elsewhere. I'll have to see about that.

The one thing I have read about these helmets that I am actually worried about is water intrusion during wet weather riding. I commute every day and will be pretty pissed if this $700 helmet leaks.

YMMV...
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:

I bought this helmet last year and since them I did over 15000kms with it under rain, snow and all kind of weather conditions. It's save to say that this helmet is not leaking. I also have the SRC system and it's just perfect. When someone is calling me they don't believe that I'm actually rinding on my bike. If one day I'd have to change it, it would be for the same helmet. And if one day I'm rich I'll be going with the C3 Carbon :lol3
  17. bearauto

bearauto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May I ask how much you paid at the show for the helmet? The best deal they offered me was $650 out the door.
  18. macadamia

Oddometer:
    you can ask, but what they offered you was a better price than I got... and I was happy with what I paid, which was retail with no tax... (fixed) I really should have asked for more since I also bought the SRC bluetooth setup too. :becca
  19. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Update... I rode to work this morning with the helmet. The strap is still digging into my throat, so when I get home tonight, I'll see if I can adjust it using the mirror to see where the chin strap is in relation to where it is on my Shoei. I think since the C3 is a modular helmet, the chin sits a bit lower on the face and the chin strap is naturally back a bit further than on the Shoei. I'm still going to head to their shop in Irvine on Monday to see if the next size larger sits better on my throat.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it go away?

Also, has anyone else had the issue with the whistling shield? Is there a way to adjust it? I did not bring the owner's manual to work, but I think there is one on their website. I'll have to check later today...
  20. red-line

red-line n00b

Oddometer:
    You know how when you fill out your warranty card, you very rarely, if ever, expect to hear anything back from a manufacturer? Not so with Schuberth...

In the mail today I received a cardboard mailer from Schuberth. My first thought was, oh wow, some sort of software update for my SRC system... I was quite surprised since I had not heard of any update... anyhow I digress.

Upon opening the mailer, I was quite surprised to read a welcome letter as a charter member of the Schuberth Owners of North America. Along with the letter was a business card-size stainless steel USB data storage unit that serves as my membership card and comes pre-loaded with a bunch of Schuberth/SRC related stuff.

I took pics... lookie here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been nothing but impressed by Schuberth as a company.

Earlier this summer, I had a problem with a speaker that had become intermittent on my SRC system. Since I am in Canada, and the SRC system had been purchased in the USA, my local Schuberth dealer was not willing to help out with warranty issues even after Schuberth had explicitly asked them to in my case... Nonetheless, to help me out, Schuberth proceeded to express-ship a replacement unit to me from California with only a verbal promise from me that I return the defective unit upon receipt.

Truly a remarkable company in terms of customer focus, and a great over-all product.

:)