Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yipes!

Thanks all, I wouldn't have so been so casual about that last water crossing if I'd known the consequences of goin' swimmin'! Ahhhh, ignorance, such a blissful state.....

I'm going to print out the responses and make sure I know what to do. FreckledAvenger - I agree, I hope I never have to use them!
    thanks!
  2. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Even if the motor isn't running, if fully sumerged and one (or more) valves are open, the motor can still hydrolock, so it is best to go thru the whole dewatering drill.
  3. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
  4. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
    I was riding a 250cc with a DR350, Brother, and a KLR650, Friend. We came to a ford that was 125 yards across a knee deep river. I waded in to find rounded slime covered rocks ranging from base balls to basket balls in size.

I asked my little brother not to go as it was May, the river had current, and the water was COLD! He said,"MOVE".
    I told him Mom will be mad at me if he gets hurt in the middle of nowhere. He replied, "Its suppose to be and adventure - Get out of the way!" I asked that he wait while I turned the camera on.

The post above is accurate. Three fifty year olds with a life time of wrenching took 45 minutes to get it sorted and on the road. We did drain the lights as they were half full. I had an aresol can of Wire Dryer cause we've been swimming before.

Skip to end for the Swim Scene. When asked if he was ok. He only commented on how cold he was. :rofl

<EMBED height=315 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=420 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/lTOYofYvweE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
  5. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea,I bet he was chilly....good effort!.
  6. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Hey Duane,
    No wonder he sold the DR350!
  7. Honda Scoot

Honda Scoot Time To Ride

Oddometer:
  8. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    That looks like fun.
  9. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Some pics of my bike with the sheep skin and one in a breather stop during my last little trip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the pic's quality, they were taken with my mobile..
    Greetings!
  10. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leo,the "skins" look comfy.....I presume you purchased it locally,or not?.
  11. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    It's comfy, but it isn't a realyy great change... I'm thinking that the design of the seat is the problem... But I'm used to stopping within more or less an hour and a half.

About the sheep skin... I'm studying Veterinary Medicine (Please correct me if it is bad written or spelt) and despite I'm finishing my first year, I'm able to go to some get some practise in some farms that my university has relation with..
    About a month ago, I went there with a group of students, and during a little brake I saw that a guy of the farm was killing some sheeps (they sell the meat locally) and I asked him about the skins... He told me that they were useless to them, so he saved the cleanest one to me.
    Back in my appartment, I cured it and washed it, and there it is.. hehe!

So it was totally free for me and I learned how to deal with those things!

Greetings!
  12. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to be a Vet.!...good deal!.Man, a person could make some $$$ if they were to get the skins from the farmer and cure them properly, then sell them on the web for the purpose you used it for.
    Good luck in College!. Thanks for the reply.
  13. Leo.G

Leo.G Is still learning

Oddometer:
    Nah, thanks to you!
    Actually, when I told the guys and the teacher who led us in the duties of the day what I was using the skin for, they didn't even knew that someone could use a skin for that (basically it is the same use they give to the skins for riding horses). And well, now they call me "Che Guevara" (for travelling by bike).. hehe!

Greetings!
  14. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll check a site ,I think it's called "Alaska skins",and see what they have.
  15. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. jkstehn

jkstehn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alaska leather is great people. In addition to their very comfortable and great fitting seat covers they have a great shop and sell all kinds of motorcycle gear. I was just up there in Anchorage a month ago and bought a sheep skin and a bunch of cold weather gear that is hard to find in So Cal. :wink: Even though there was snow on the ground I saw the they still had a pretty good selection of tires for those who have found their way to Anchorage and found their tires to be overly worn or inappropriate.

Heck, there were a few hard core souls riding on the street at 14 deg. :eek1
  17. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have most of you following this thread seen the thread here about the soon to be sold in the US Suzuki GW250? It's a water cooled street twin with 17" cast wheels and no fairing. Also a six speed trans. Search this forum for ir and I put in a website address for an article on Helforleather about the bike.
  18. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in the GW250 and hope to see it at the motorcycle show.
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Jetstreamer

Jetstreamer Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer:
    Kinda looks like a baby B-King. B-Prince?