APRILIA TUONO OWNERS, others welcome

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MCmad, Jun 5, 2009.

1. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    thought I might try this as was boring my Adventure Bike buddies with all my rantings about my Tuono

Tuono means thunder and the live up to the name particurly once pipes are added and the upright riding position makes them a thrill to ride as the extra rearward weighting and the non detuned motor make for lots of wheelies even at speeds up to 140kph if you do it all right.
    My personal reason for purchasing was that I wanted a medium level track bike that I could live with on the road and I couldnt cope with the wrist killing sports bike position.
    Have been bought up on dirt bikes and more resently adventure bikes upright is more natural for me and the fact that the chassis is straight from the RSV minus side fairing makes it a good Track proposition

Owners signed in so far at 20/03/12
    800rider Auckland New Zealand
    LowOnFuel Seattle USA
    fast4d
    dwenglis
    JBird SC USA
    Jody H New Mexico USA
    Florida Bob
    RoteEddie, Fjords of Norway http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=23
    whip san An Tx USA
    immortal BC
    Jambo UK
    Tuf phx AR USA
    Olie TX
    RoadsContinue OK
    anotherguy
    benwiggen2 LA
    Mr, Orange Ireland
    Royal Tiger PA RSV
    karlb TX RSV
    DrewCoptor Baltermore
    Keithy SC
    Speed King
    RoteEddie Norway
    Burro X TX & CA
    sportmotogear DFM
    Croak British Columbia
    jrflame
    Vato_Loco Frisco
    RockyRue Tuono & Futura
    dweglis
    CafeRacer
    smokenjrgan
    Pablo Albaquerque NM Tuono & Falco

[​IMG]
  2. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for my first sport bike lately, and had narrowed down to a Monster 1100S, Super Duke & a Tuono. After riding a new Duc Streetfighter I felt it was a little intense for me. I rode a Tuono on a demo ride yesterday And I think my decision is made. It was amazing. Glad you started this thread as I am anxious to hear what others have to say.
  3. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still love the looks of the Gen 1 Tuono, and it's (and Mille) have the sexiest double swinger ever.

The Gen 2 is a "better" bike, but they lost me with the current styling, especially the overdone graphics.
  4. booty0

booty0 Booger eater

Oddometer:
    One seriously badass motorcycle. I was lusting for one, but the triple won me over. Too many awesome rides, not enough money...:baldy
  5. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome Speed king ,(and others)

I will try to honest if you have any questions, my reasons for puchasing I have mostly already mentioned and since youve riden a Tuono all ready you have some Idea of what the bikes about,

I chose it over many options such as Street/Speed triples,Daytona, Ktm,690/990sms,and Adventure, Buels, Ducatis, and even Aprilias own RSVR most ive ridden so thats my position

It fare Rocks in my opinion and is semi civil for riding around on , cant wait to get mine on track

Just out of interest on last Ride I meet up with some guys on GSX1000s while riding with my mate who has a 09 blade and one guy who was a NZ superbike rider on a 600 so the pace was shall we say a bit hot in the twisties, I really thought Id be over my head, but I couldnt believe how easy it was to keep up with the 1000s im tempted to say the Tuono comes out of corner quicker but I think its just cause on the road its more controllable, of course the superbike guys was in the lead but he nearly drop his bike so he was on the edge, while I felt quite comfy,
    I recon the big bars and riding position work well in these situations , well thats enough raving from me
    and its nearly 1am in NZ, Chow
    [​IMG]
  6. LowOnFuel

LowOnFuel In the crapper

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes and lots of fun.

[​IMG]
  7. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb :raabia

RSV/tuono are the best riding/handling sports bikes. even if they don't have 150hp.
  8. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 07.5 dream blue Tuono for a steal from xtreme power sports in MD. I hope to have the engine broken in fully next week. I am soooo tired if not being able to rev bast 7.5k.
  9. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Kramer says "Tuonos Rock"

[​IMG]

I've added a 950SMR to the stable and love that too! I'd love to try a new Super Duke.

The Tuonos are awesome! The motor is great with a chassis to match.
  10. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you may know what your talking about would like to hear your comparison between KTM 690 and your Superduke verses Tuono

My thoughts from rides Ive had, would be 690 lacks midrange punch but is sweet handling and revs well and perhaps slightly boring

not riden Superduke but Injection is real bad on 990sm , I couldnt live with that power is packed lower in revs on sm almost seems short geared sort of between a buell and a Tuono

Welcome to Lowonfuel, dwenglis and Jbird as well nice bikes , Iam thinking of Doing an owner Register like I have on DR800 site if I have time http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7393437&postcount=1
  11. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I sold my Tuorno!!!!!! :cry One of the best bikes I ever owned. Reading this thread wants me to go out and find another one.
  12. Jody H

Jody H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuono is the best bike I have owned in 25 years of riding.

[​IMG]
  13. dwenglis

dwenglis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only have one gripe and that is the woeful fuel range. my light goes on usually right around the 100 mile mark, and thats not reving past 7.5k.
  14. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Owners signed in so far 7/6/09 this post is linked to page one and will be updated

800rider Auckland New Zealand
    LowOnFuel Seattle USA
    fast4d
    dwenglis
    JBird SC USA
    Jody H New Mexico USA
    Florida Bob
    RoteEddie, Fjords of Norway http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10019065&postcount=23
    whip san An Tx USA
    immortal BC
    Jambo UK
    Tuf phx AR USA
  15. Florida Bob

Florida Bob Left the building

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for 3 months. I am way to old and have been riding for too many years--this is the best I have owned. Ride safe and enjoy--

Attached Files:

16. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Na Roy you wouldnt want another as they wont stop wheelying, and its most annoying:D
  17. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome Bob, nice, sounds like your happy with your bike wonder if your as old as me, I get younger ever year, lost about 20 years when bought Tuono that makes me 28 now

Thunders are a bit of a hoot to ride, today I practised riding slow and I only lifted the front wheel 4 times , mind you the roads were wet:evil
  18. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Im going to have to learn to ride like that and am looking forward to my first track day on Tuono, Im more a motard style rider ( due to Motocross background) will have to practise the knee down thing, Good pic you look the part ,

My first Track day, Testing the waters on my DR800 Adventure bike
    [​IMG]

Sounds like Tuona agrees with you and you have some other nice toys in your stable.

How do you find the 990 Adventure and how would you compare to Tuono also wondered if youd had 990 on track as I bought Tuono instead of 990 because am wanting to do more track riding
  19. Bikeaddict

Bikeaddict Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer:
    Well, to every Tuono rider out there how about telling us most common problems, faults, failures? :ear
  20. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    To wheely prone, very adictive, have to take to much time of work to ride them,

To be Honest from what ive read from owner reports before Buying mine they are generaly pretty reliable and of course you can have problems with any bike even a Honda

The suspension is short travel and on the firm sporty side and the chassis is stiff ( which is why they handle so good) and the fuel tank is only 18 litre so if you want interstate tourer buy a Gold wing

O and if you like to be depressed this is not the bike for you as it makes you smile a lot:lol3

[​IMG]