Rev'it Horizon Jacket and Pant thread -- Follow for updates and review!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by DJSponge, Apr 18, 2012.

1. DJSponge

DJSponge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Extended ride on the bike yesterday. Temps ranged from 43F to 78F. Jacket was comfortable for the duration. The chest vents really work great. Never had a jacket move that much air! At 78F, in traffic, things started to get warm for me. Not unbearable or even uncomfortable, just had the feeling that I wanted to be moving. I'd say at 80F, I'm going to wear my Rev'It Air jacket instead. I'd be fine up to probably 90F, but above 80F, things start to get warm. YMMV.

BTW, waterproofing so far has been fantastic.
  2. enkil

enkil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! the pants are really lovely.
  3. JackB1

JackB1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of talk here about temperature limits for the Horizon., ....... Thought everyone might be interested to know that yesterday I was riding in over 100 degrees for the third time in my trip. With vents all open collar turned back and the jacket zipped partway open it was pretty tolerable at speed (msotly highways yesterday) but when in urban stop-n-go its just plain hot. That being said, I agree with some of the others here - mid 80s to about 90 it's just fine. You can follow my trip at http://www.2wheels4kids.com/
    No issues with the jacket on a 2+ week trip that's now over 6300 miles!
  4. enkil

enkil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want one.. :D
  5. JackB1

JackB1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2Wheels4Kids.com/ trip is now over 9000 miles. Today, crossing the Wasatch Range from Provo, UT over toward Green River, UT. on US6 near dawn I rode for some time in sub-freezing temperatures as low as 24 degrees. While I think my Horizon is, overall, a great piece I don't consider it adequate for extended time at temps quite that low. I started out wearing the jacket (all vents closed - duh!), thermal liner in place, A Rev'It! Samurai mid layer and a long sleeve t shirt beneath it all. Later, when the temps fell into the 20s I added a sweatshirt beneath the mid-layer. Kinda looked all puffy and inflated like the Michelin Man with all that stuff layered. ! 22 days on the road now, averaging over 400 miles a day in temps all the way from today's new record low of 24 to 103! Horizon stuff fills the bill very well from about 40 degrees to 90 degrees. Below that need more help. Above that, need a true mesh jacket like Rev'It! Tarmac Air (especially if doing urban riding.) No durability issues whatsoever - except that Hi-Viz is getting mighty dirty! That's my brilliant insight for today. Always open for questions.
  6. TriGuy

TriGuy n00b

Oddometer:
    hey I am a newbie dont hurt me! anyway I like rev it gear but compared to olympia I found the price better with olympia and the quality better too. I have olympia airglide a mesh jacket with good airflow and a waterproof liner that actually works. just my 2cents.
  7. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> My 2 cents:

Several folks have posted about low temps and wet conditions. Since I had my first chance to ride the Horizon today I thought I’d throw in some impressions from the other end of the climatic scale.

I live in the Arizona desert where humidity varies between 6% and 14%. As for rain: I read about rain in a book once.

I found the venting to be surprisingly effective. Up to about 94 F, life inside the Horizon was pretty acceptable; if a little odd. By “odd” I mean that it’s something of an “alien technology” experience. It doesn’t really feel like much air is flowing inside the jacket and yet one doesn’t get all that warm. Something I suppose it feels like inside one of those temperature controlled space suits.

Once it got well above 100 F I stopped and donned a drenched LD long sleeve t-shirt. Having just the left vent open just a smidge provided more than adequate cooling for the 1.5 hour run home across what we call “the frying pan”. After an hour and a half @ moderate highway speeds (65 – 80 MPH) I still had what I estimate to be 1/2 the original moisture left in the shirt.

So, my conclusion is that the Horizon, while not the very best, is within the acceptable range for warm weather operations. I’m counting on the opinions in previous posts re; cold/wet to get me through the hills of Utah on the way to Miller and back.

Other stuff: The snaps which hold the vent panels open are (at least for me) nigh on to impossible to engage while underway with gloves on. However, merely folding them under provides almost as much airflow.

The clip/loop thingie which holds the collar back when you have it open is rather difficult to engage underway unless you unzip the jacket quite a bit.

And that’s all I have to say about that.
  8. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any more experiences with how waterproof the jacket and pants are?
  9. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any further reviews on this? We share the same climate zone so I'm interested in further info.

Trying to decide between the Klim Badlands and the Rev'it. I really like the idea of the venting in the Horizon, but want to make sure that the long term waterproofness is as good as it needs to be for the Wet Coast. I'm so done with zip in liners or external suits.

Thx

C
  10. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had Rev'It Darkar pants (previous iteration of the Sand model - almost identical). They did not stand up very well. My Olympia gear seems much more abrasion resistant with heavier materials and stitching (200D & 500D Cordura) although I have never crash tested it. It is also more durable and has more venting. IMO the XMoto suit is a better value at the same price as the Rev'It. Not trying to be a troll here, just my 2 cents.
  11. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    Just a quick update. I have about 500 miles of Pacific Northwest riding on my Horizon set, and I've been dry 100% of the time. Chest vents continue to be awesome, and they are breaking in nicely...headed to CO in a couple weeks for the PPIHC, will post an update then!

Cheers
  12. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent news.

Seems like it a good option for me. Thx for the update.

C
  13. Schannulleke

Schannulleke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sleeves of the thermal liner at the cuffs are not zipped to the jacked (as seen in the review by revzilla) but attached with old-style snaps. Anyone else has this?
  14. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I've put a couple of hundred miles on my Horizon jacket. Overall I'm happy with the jacket, it's comfortable, though still a little bit stiff. It is still breaking in. I've only ridden in some light rain and stayed dry. Waiting for a real toad strangler of a storm to test out the true water resistance. My only real complaint, and I'm not too surprised, is that it's warm. In all fairness, I ride an 1150 RT, and the fairing and windshield do a great job of redirecting air around me. As long as i'm moving, with the windshield in the down position, it's tolerable.
  15. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    My jacket sleeves are button snap connectors, like their other jackets. I actually prefer this, I think the zippers would have rubbed my wrists and gotten really annoying when the liner is out.

Oh, and I rode for about an hour in driving rain today to take the bike to the dealer for service. I got there warm and dry, couldn't ask for much more.

I'll be setting off for Colorado in a little over a week, should have some good weather hopefully to (not) test the waterproofing abilities :evil
  16. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    You won't get rained on around here but it is pretty warm these days.
  17. DJSponge

Oddometer:
    Yea, I'm considering bringing my Rev'it Air jacket when the weather hits 90F+
  18. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a Revit Horizon jacket this weekend. I typically wear a large in jackets, am a size 42 in a sport coat. 5' 11", 173. I was surprised that I ended up buying an XXL, but that was what felt most comfortable. Plus, I knew I wanted this for cold weather and would be adding an electric liner to the equation, so I wanted a little more space.

I kept the regular liner in for the 90-mile ride home from the dealer in temps that were in the mid 60's. Very comfortable temperature wise. Opened the vents and definitely felt the air circulation inside. Wore it again this morning with a cotton dress shirt and the regular liner. Temps were in the upper 40's for my 32-mile expressway commute. Felt just a little cold after a while. I think the body temp comfort thing tends to vary greatly from person to person. I may get cold quicker than some. Again, I will soon add my electric liner to the mix and am hoping to be able to ride comfortably in 20 degree temps.

Haven't had it in the rain yet, but I'm sure I will soon. One of the main reasons I wanted this jacket is because I no longer want to have to stop to put on a rain suit. I also have Revit waterproof pants. They aren't the Horizon, but have worked well in the rain and I've been very pleased with them. It's one of the reasons I went with this jacket.

Overall so far ...

The pros:
    I think it's a sharp-looking jacket. (And my wife seemed to think so too!) Haven't seen it at night, but the reflectors seem like they're in good spots. It's very comfortable. Very adjustable. The armor feels good. I feel well-protected in this jacket.

The cons:
    There is a tightness in the neck area that kind of feels like it's choking a little. I experienced the same thing in all the sizes I tried on and I don't have a large neck. I'm hoping will go away as the jacket loosens up. Could use more zippered front pockets. There's only two zippered pockets in the front and one of them is waterproof. (There is however, a velcro pouch pocket in the back and two open hand-warmer pockets in the front.)

I'm hoping this jacket holds up over the long run. Will post again if I discover any new revelations.
  19. montanaman

montanaman Traveler

Oddometer:
    I really looked hard at this jacket but I need a one for more hot/dry dual sport conditions as I do most of my riding in Arizona and Southern California and some of the other posts indicated that it did not have enough vents for 90 plus degrees. I went with the BMG Adventure II and rode in 95-100 degree temps yesterday and was as comfortable as one could expect at that level of heat. Not water-proof at all but I can count the days I ride in heavy rain on one hand so it was not a big factor. Still .. I like the look of the coat and it may be on my short list for a winter fall option.. Also.. is it coming with the "exskin" liner as indicated. I have had heard not. Wonder why?
  20. AKjitsu

AKjitsu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I have a couple of thousand miles on mine now; to include moderate rain and high temps. It’s an OK piece of kit but I can’t really say that the price is justified. The vents can be described as “better than nothing”. They’re not too bad on a bike like mine (Multistrada) with a very narrow windscreen and minimal bodywork. But, if you’re on something like an FJR you will get no venting at all. Zip. Nada. And there may be somebody somewhere in the world who can lock those vents open while underway with gloves on. But it ain’t me. If the going gets warm, I have to stop, un-glove, and secure those tiny snaps. Same thing with the collar hold-back. Good idea but, executed by people who obviously don’t actually ride.

There’s a lot of cost-cutting for a garment at this price point. Copious use of Velcro everywhere: Front closure, exterior pockets (what few there are), cheesy interior pocket.

Unless you’re double jointed, you’re not going to be able to the operate the pull cords to seal up the lower part of the jacket while the jacket is on your body.

And I don’t know if I’ll ever make peace with that gay-ass left handed main zipper.

[FONT=&quot]It’s certainly not the worst piece of gear I’ve ever owned but I wouldn’t spend that kind of $ on another.[/FONT]