Review of 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by leafman60, Jul 1, 2012.

1. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    You can get the suggested agip delivered to your house for near $12 per liter.
  2. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    Hiya Leaf,

Hope you're out having fun on the new Goose. :thumb

Quick question for you. How much oil, if any, have you consumed so far on the NTX? I went through about 250ml/1k miles on my 2V Norge, and heard from the red suspender crowd that was a bit high, so I'm curious of the new 4V motor is less thirsty for oil. That full-synth 60W stuff is a bit pricey at $17/liter. :eek1

Thanks!
    -SM
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    none of my 2V's used any oil at all, during break-in or after.

so far, at about 2300 miles the 4V has not used a drop.
  4. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks Blake. That was the story I had heard re. the 2V in my Norge, but the reality was different (and a bit disappointing). Not sure why. :dunno

A few more owners reporting "no oil usage" in the 4V motor will certainly be reassuring. :thumb

-SM
  5. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    No oil usage in 1800 miles - now I know why the dealer smirked when I asked for a ltr when I got the bike
  6. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    About 25,000 miles on my Stelvio. It has never used a drop of oil.
  7. longlostson

longlostson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up, did I miss the fuel consumption part? Must go back and reread.
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Havent done an accurate calculation yet. I guess upper 30's, lower 40's but I only have less than 500 miles on it and I've done a lot of tractoring around in the woods.

I will check later and post results.

No oil consumption so far, by the way.
  9. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Nice review, thanks. Been intrigued with the Stelvio after seeing one at a dealer a couple of weeks ago while getting a new tire on. Really impressive bike and with the cost so much less than a comparable equipped GS, even better. Read the Motorcycle Consumer News review and they pretty much raved about the bike except for the heat off of the fins of the left side cylinder. I'm 6'2", sat on the bike and didn't touch the plastic top guard nor the fins and can't see it really being an issue. I'm lucky as I have two Guzzi dealers both within about 40-50 miles from me so I'm strongly considering selling my 1150GS for the Stelvio.
  10. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    My 2V Norge doesn't actually "use" any oil either, but when I was just learning it's personality, it went through some. My bike doesn't like to be filled all the way up to the top mark on the stick. It is happy when the level is about half way in between the two marks. Whenever I would fill it to the top mark, it just blew the oil it didn't want out the breather until it was at it's happy place. Since I've left it at that point, it never changes. From what I can gather, this is fairly common with them.
  11. DirtisGood

DirtisGood Rhino Adventures

Oddometer:
    I have just clocked up 20,000 kms on my 2011 NTX it was the first one retailed in Australia. There is not a day goes by that cold weather can't wipe the smile of my face. I ride with a lot of BMW Riders and it's starting to make them notice that there is a good competitor on the market. This is a link to my Web Site and Blog
    http://eagledream.wix.com/stelvio-owners-tassie
    http://eagledream.wix.com/stelvio-owners-tassie/apps/blog
  12. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that. Mine was exactly the same way, and I think it's a trait common to the 2v Norge. Same happy place too....about half way between the 2 marks on the stick. However, on mine, once there, it would "lose" oil, and not out the breather because the drain at the bottom of the airbox where the breather vented would be empty (I left the plug in so I could keep an eye on oil use). I never noticed any "drool" out of the exhaust indicating there was a bunch getting past the valves, and there was never any on the garage floor, so it was either burning just a wee bit, or a leaking just a wee bit somewhere, possibly only under pressure. Our roads are in such poor shape it was impossible to keep the engine clean so some could have been escaping from various gaskets and seals and it would just blend in with the other road crud. Who knows..... :dunno

Anyway, it's great to hear the 4v Stelvio doesn't seem to have an issue with using oil. If my local dealer was worth a farthing, I'd likely be looking to put one of these beasties in my garage. As it is, the nearest decent Guzzi shop is about 2-3hrs away, one way. Of course that only matters if it needs major work (routine maintenance is an easy DIY job on Guzzi's), but still, in the event of an "aww sh*t" event, I'd hate to have to rent a trailer and make a day of it just getting the bike to the shop. :waysad

-SM
  13. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    These guys no good?

MUNROE MOTORS
    412 Valencia St.
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    PHONE (415) 626-3496 FAX (415) 255-8389
  14. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    The dealer nearest to me is California Speed Sports, and through first hand experience with my Norge, they're horrible. The next closest is the dealer you mention above, and they have enough horror stories attached to them that I wouldn't risk taking my bike there. That leaves Moto Italiano in Santa Cruz or Elk Grove Motorsports as the next nearest dealers, the former having a decent reputation, the latter is unknown to me.

Meanwhile, there are no less than 15 Yamaha dealers in the same search radius...... :cry

-SM
  15. JCPilot

JCPilot n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great post! I have a friend who recently bought a Stelvio but now wants to sell it due to buffeting problems above 50mph. The dealer thinks it's due to his height (6'6 or so) and specifically his torso height. Something to consider if you are in that height range.
  16. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    brief thread jack -- after getting my Ducati and my wife's aprilia serviced at moto italiano in the middle of an 8500 mile tour last summer, i would add them to the "stay away" group. They must run that place as basically a hobby or they smoke major dope (not unheard of in Santa Cruz).
  17. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm 6'4"+ and the Givi screen on my '09 took care of the wind issues... and that's with the screen in the low position, which I like.
  18. keithn

keithn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased a new NTX and am averaging 40+ mpg in city driving. The computor indicates 6.4 litres per 100 litres of fuel.
    :D
  19. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    Good to know, but really disappointing. :waysad

Come on you Guzzi fanatics! Drop your hum-drum day jobs and open a decent Guzzi shop in the SF Bay Area fer cryin' out loud. There's over 6 million people here and not ONE decent Guzzi dealer?!?! I wanna cry..... :cry :cry :cry

-SM
  20. PizzaHog

PizzaHog Thought Criminal

Oddometer:
    Aw, nuts. If Munroe sucks, then I'm pretty much out of the Guzzi market.

So, I'm "stuck" with the offerings at Hattar [or whatever Hattar Motorsports becomes after the change in ownership]: Ducati & Triumph. Not so bad, that, but the Guzzis were growing on me.