Euro and HIDs. Top HID wont come on

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by BaronVonDarrin, Apr 22, 2012.

1. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    I put the euro light and hid set up in my bike yesterday, 2005.5 950adv. The top and bottom HIDs worked fine, without the euroswitch, until I bolted everything back up... Now only the bottom one comes on. The top came on and then immediately went out and doesn't seem to want to come back now. Is there something I am missing here? I used the h3 and the h7 hid set up from blackdog cycles.

Some things I thought might be the problem:
    1. I smashed a wired somewhere, though it doesnt seem likely. I had to have everything out of the way just to cram it back together
    2. the hid bulb died on me for some reason - defective?
    3. the hid bulb died on me for some reason - I screwed up the bulb? by not putting the protective jar back on? I assumed it was to be removed because it didnt fit through the headlight hole
  2. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    Top one is main beam (high beam). I wonder if you have a volts drop issue? My low beam id HID and sometimes flickers as I flip on the halogen main beam.
  3. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I thought the quality was the problem but there was no way I would buy overpriced nitche trades. I ended up realizing the ballasts create strong electromagnetic shocks. They need to be away from the ECU as they where turning my motor off when too close to it. They also need to be away to each other. Proximity to relays living under the instrument bash could also be the problem. Try different positions, keeping them away from each other at the two sides of the subframe, supporting the instrument panel. There is probably nothing wrong.
    Cheers.
  4. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    double check your grounds.... just so you know, the front fairing subframe is NOT well bonded to ground/rest of frame...
  5. Spl990

Spl990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have put one ballast in the subframe and oe below the headlight above f the ECU no problem i have install it when i have bought the Bike in 2008 until now i have done 44000+ Kilometers and i don't have any issue the only issue that i have that my light deflector has hulled maybe this is a fault because i have put Hid bulbs of 50 Watt?
    You must ckeck again all the connection if assembly ok.