Beta RR /RS 4T enduro thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RICHXHELL, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the 2013 bikes in stock yet? Reviews?
    Looking at buying a new bike and the 498rr looks REAL tempting!!
  2. GetDirtyDave

GetDirtyDave n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to let everyone know we have started a new Beta Talk Forum. The web address is www.getdirtydirtbikes.com/blog. It is new and we are still working on it so any suggestions will certainly be appreciated.
    Come join the discussion!
    Dave
  3. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. vfrpilot

vfrpilot Stress Relief Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got me a new 2011 400RR
    Can't wait to get it dirty!
    [​IMG]
  5. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Report is mandatory. :deal
  6. velocityjunky

velocityjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just became a betafile too. this was stillwells 350 shop bike.
    coming from a yz250 2 stroke, should be interesting

[​IMG]
  7. velocityjunky

Oddometer:
    Ride report:

VERY nice bike. The motor is nowhere near as "exciting" as my yz250 but is great in many other ways. It is very smooth and finds traction everywhere! And is much easier to play around on, I was trying things that I would have been intimidated to on my 2stroke. It grunts around great but spins up and revs really nice which I like, not sure I would be a fan of a big bore torque monster 4t coming from the 2t .

I will have to adjust my style, but by the end of the day I was really clicking with the bike. on the 2 stroke it's a lot of noise and dust and both wheels are never pointed in the same direction, its exciting and feels fast as hell but is alot of effort, and mental processing, for the amount of forward progress. On the beta you have to think ahead as you are carrying a lot more weight but, slow your mind down a bit, be smooth,**and the bike rewards you. Seat of the pants im faster on the 2t, but by the stopwatch i wouldn't be surprised if i was faster on the beta.The weight is good and bad, as long as you are carrying momentum it tracks through rocks and whoops way better than the yz which deflects and kicks a bit. However come to a near stop and it's harder to get the extra weight moving again, so momentum is your friend. Turning the bike around on the side of a hill is WAY more effort, but the rekluse makes it easy to get it pointed in the right direction again. Once moving it masks it's weight VERY well.

The suspension is very good, but it was revalved by stillwell, I rode a 2011 450rr and the forks sucked compared to my yz setup, this bike is comparable to the yz. Not sure what stock feels like but this bike is good.

In slower speeds the bike turns like no full sized bike I've ridden, it is so easy to plant a foot and turn 180, or negotiate technical switchbacks. At higher speeds the front end is a little twitchy and floats a little too much. I had it push, go numb a few times, like it was about to grip and tank slap, but it never did. I'd think a bit of ride height adjustment could settle it down, maybe a damper. It wasn't horrible in fact it reminded me a bit of how the 2t floats around under neath of you.**I'd rather have it this way than have a heavy feeling tank like some 4t ive ridden. However It definitely carries more weight on the rear than the front which takes some getting used to, It takes effort to get the rear end to float around like the front wants to do.**Ultimately I think the light front heavy rear feeling is what makes it so good at the slower technical stuff, very trials bike like.

A buddy has a ktm 350xc and I bet it's better at the fast stuff, but I KNOW it's not as good in the tighter stuff.

Overall I really like it and have no hesitations selling my yz. Are they different ? YES, but are they both really really good and tons of fun? YES.**I'm very glad I got it and look forward to seeking out trails that are more suited to it than my yz.

I hope this helps get someone else off the fence as there should be more of these betas out on the trail
  8. angelo_balto

angelo_balto Architect | Explorer

Oddometer:

Just rode it and it's fantastic !!!!
    Best Enduro 2t I have ridden ever. Engine with a real grunt & feels lighter than the 498RR ... Brilliant for the trails :clap

[​IMG]
  9. angelo_balto

Oddometer:
    That being said, still think that the 498RR is the best enduro bike ever built.

A beginner can learn how to ride with it & a pro can win championships with it ... what more can you ask :rofl
    It is the first bike that I have ridden that haven't found a single think that I would change on it. Just brilliant !!

[​IMG]
  10. windyhill

windyhill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the 300 RR 2t this weekend. It's like riding a 200 MPH Mountain Bike.
  12. hawaiidirtrider

hawaiidirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now when I look at all the bikes the Beta 498 and the 300 2t are my 2 favorite bikes of all.. Amazing that my choice is from the same company. :clap:D
  13. hawaiidirtrider

hawaiidirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yup.. This is the perfect duo/upgrade for my garage!!!!!

I'm still very happy with my 09 Beta 525 , 01' 250 cr and gasgas 300 01'.. They work awesome and they're all set up... but I'd say your picture above is the ultimate.. for me and my riding around here at least.
  14. velocityjunky

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say that this 350 of mine damn near the perfect enduro bike. Love the way it handles and makes power. The more I ride it the more I love it, everyone who has ridden it has come away extremely impressed. Riding tomorrow and another friend is itchin to get a test ride.

If your on the fence take the jump, you will be impressed
  15. angelo_balto

Oddometer:
    dedicated to all of you Beta lovers out there ... 498 rules !!!!

[​IMG]
  16. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've finally come (back) to my senses, and am looking to get another Beta. I had a 2009 450RR, and loved it - and in a moment of madness, sold it last year :baldy !

As she'll be doing dual-sport duty (riding on average 50-100 km on the road to get to the trails) - I think the 450RR is the perfect size. I'd appreciate any info my fellow Beta riders could provide re the 2012 vs 2013 models.

As these bikes are quite rare, I'll likely be forced to buy new, but as we'll be together for many years, I'm OK with that.

Thanks !
  17. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Looks like there is a larger tank for the 2012 RR models (part # AB-12027), anyone know if this fits the 2013 as well ?

Thanks.
  18. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    I don't know for sure but send them an email with your question....they usually respond promptly.

Email: parts@americanbeta.com

Dave
  19. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    If buying again would you still pick the 350 over the 450 you rode, suspension being equal? Thanks.
  20. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2012 350RR !
    Need to do some maintenance - get her ready for dual sport duty, but will report back once she's had her maiden voyage !