Motorcycle Riding after Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by custmmc, Nov 3, 2007.

1. BEEMERPECKER

BEEMERPECKER Just Lookin'

Oddometer:
    CAT scan confirms "total hip failure" (M.D.'s description). I hope third time's a charm as this shit is starting to get old right about now.

I envy you guys whose hip replacements have gone smoothly. I don't even dare try throwing my leg over the saddle for fear of having my leg become disjointed.

I guess a better call some riding buddies up to see if they'll come exercise the steeds. No point in letting the cobwebs build up on them.

Thanks for the good wishes.
  2. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have back issues and have had two surgeries already. Riding could result in another but I dont care; I am going to ride until I cant. I found a good pain management doctor and can control my pain most of the time. I am not going to wait on a couch to die.
  3. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that you fell like shit now but hang in there, it will be better!
  4. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    Looks like I have to get BOTH my hips replaced this year. I have hip displaysia, so I guess I'd better consider myself lucky that I'm not a german shepherd.

Both hips are totally shot, and the shape of the femoral head makes resurfacing a no-go.

And to top things off, my girlfriend of one year broke up withme last night. I kinda knew it wasn't going to last long-term, but still I'm gutted.

At 45yoa and in good shape otherwise, this totally sucks. However, I can't wait to get this done and over with so I can ride again.

Surgery is scheduled for may/june. Sigh.

Jason
  5. stroming it softly

stroming it softly twins forever

Oddometer:
    I had my resurfacing done on the 29th of Dec., stayed in the rehab unit at the VA hospital for 10 days for intensive therapy, did not want to do it but am glad now I did as my progress has been rapid. The first couple of days after the surgery I remember laying there and thinking why the hell did I do this, I could have lived with the hip a few more years but once you get up and around things progress quickly and those thoughts go away. One of my pt's rides a Tuono also so we had a lot to talk about. Under three weeks of crutches left and hope to get on my CB160 by the end of March also get to start driving again next week. Hope to never go through something like this again, it has been a real eye opener for me as I have been healthy and very active my whole life--this sitting around gig isn't for me! Cheers
  6. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Congratulations on getting the surgery done!! :clap You'll be amazed at how quickly you progress. I went from surgery on 5/29/08 to working at my "nasty physical labor" job on 8/25/08. As of New Year's Day, all of my restrictions are lifted, and UC Davis has released me. That's a full 5 months ahead of schedule, which still blows my mind. I've been riding a bicycle for the first time in years, and the normalcy with which I can now do everyday tasks is just plain wonderful. My wife and I have recently purchased new backpacks, and plan to get out a time or three this coming Summer.
    Riding will be tremendous therapy for your head, as it represents a big step (no pun intended) in your recovery.
    Keep us informed of how things are going, and please feel free to PM with any questions.
  7. BEEMERPECKER

BEEMERPECKER Just Lookin'

Oddometer:
    Had hip revision surgery done on 12/31 (got a shot of morphine at midnight to celebrate the new year). For whatever reason, the artificial socket installed back in August had become detached from the pelvis. I now have new hardware and have have my fingers crossed that I'm all done with this hip surgery shite; three surgeries in six months is enough for me.

Hope to get back on a bike in 5 or 6 months give or take.
  8. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I was wondering how you were doing. Good luck.
  9. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    As a Registered Nurse who works in the post surgical arena, I have to say that it seems from some of the posts that some people just got what was given to them. DONT DO THAT! Look, sometimes Doc's give what they have to offer without telling their patients what options may be available. You need to investigate your options. Not all top notch options are available everywhere but dont settle for less. Educate yourself! the net is a powerful tool, use it. :bow :deal
  10. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good advice.

I had to fight for about a year to get my hip resurfaced, as my doctor was satisfied that a normal replacement would do the job. His staff drug their feet on getting me the referral to UC Davis that I'd requested, and it took a thunderous fit in his office one day after waiting 7 (!) weeks for it to finally go through. A 270-lb. man that's been in pain for almost 20 years can have a very persuasive effect on unmotivated office workers.:evil
    I spent quite a bit of time researching the resurfacing surgery and comparing it with the standard replacement and don't regret one single second of it.
  11. jstcrashnthru

jstcrashnthru Livin' the dream

Oddometer:
    It's good to hear so many having good outcomes from your hip replacements. That's what we like to hear. Fortunately, bad outcomes from joint replacements are becoming fewer and fewer and every year.

I've said it before, don't wait. You're not doing yourself, or your hip, any favors.
  12. doctor_big

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for those who've had this done already... How long until you can drive? What about manual vs automatic transmission?

Thanks,
    Jason
  13. ianbh

ianbh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I drove a mini van (automatic) 10 days postop after both hip replacements. I did try to straddle my MC 8 days PO and had to call my wife to help me get off. Don't remember how long before the first ride-probably about a month. Ian, Iowa
  14. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am heading in to have my first of two hip resurfacings done tomorrow morning. I had been told about 7 years ago that I required replacement but being a stubborn son of a bitch I decided that was not what I wanted to do at 33 years old.

As a bit of history, I have played hockey pretty much non-stop since age 7 including some pretty high levels in college. I also played football, baseball, basketball and volleyball so I have been pretty hard on the joints. I also had a crash at aage 18 where I was nailed by a truck running a red light and did cartwheels down the road. Had a knee reconstruction and then started having hip problems later on. I can't be sure that any of these thigs are the cause of the hip degeneration but I imagine that they did not help things.

I did a lot of research on the THR vs. resurface and given my age and activity level, I decided a resurface was the way to go. So right one tomorrow morning and the left one in June. Would have been beginning of May but I have some work committments to work around.

I play hockey with two guys that have had their's done. One total replacement and one resurface and they are both back playing within a year of the surgery.

Aside from riding, I want to get back to hockey, golf, Scuba diving, sleeping through the night and stuff like that.

From the looks of it, most people here have had positive results which I am glad for. Hopefully, I will be among the ranks of you soon after tomorrow.

:freaky
  15. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Don't keep putting it off. I went for three years hurting/limping and then decided to have the surgery ( total hip rep.). Except for a whole week of fevers after the replacement, it was decision well made. Went back to the doc two weeks later hardly using my crutches. Could have driven myself there but didn't. Six weeks after the surgery i was back to work installing cabinets, bending/squating (slowly and carefully). I have had no problems at all except for some what less flexability.
    On another note, make sure and get a full set of spinal xrays before hand. After having two knee surgerys on the same leg, i was still having pains. turned out, the pain from my hip joint (arthritis) was shooting down to my knee! The first orthopedic didn't get xrays of entire spine and hips, just my knee. I did have a 40% miniscus tear and then another 10% (???) in the knee. A chiropractor is the one who recommended the full set of xrays and then a total spinal MRI.
    Oh yeah. I also started back riding after the six weeks, but no dirt/off road stuff until a few more months later.

Git er done
    Later
  16. stroming it softly

Oddometer:
    I waited nearly 4 weeks before I started driving again (automatic). Getting in and out of the car was a chore, driving was ok. Doc had suggested that I not start driving until I felt that I was in control of the car and myself-in short, not a danger to others. Good advice. I am eight weeks out now, using a cane-I can walk but with a limp. No pain, range of motion is good. I will say that my progress has been slower than I had expected but my pt says I am right on track. I sat on my Tuono yesterday, no problem, but I don't feel that there is enough strength in my right leg yet to ride, will likely wait a few more weeks-or just ride my Honda 160! Overall I think the recovery time from a resurface is a bit longer than a replacement as the procedure is more invasive but I feel that it is worth it as my activity level after a year should be higher than with a replacement. You should discuss this with your doc beforehand as the resurface incision and muscle damage is more significant than a replacement as your femur head needs to be twisted more than 90 deg. from normal to be sized and capped.
  17. doctor_big

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to ride sport bikes after having this done? Is the tight bend at the knees and hips too extreme?

Thanks,
    Jason
  18. stroming it softly

Oddometer:
    I was told not to have an angle less than 90 deg. at the hip. The tuono is fine, I suppose you would have to try each bike to see if it meets whatever criteria your doc sets for you.
  19. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, had mine done Monday morning and was back home Tuesday afternoon. I am not sure about the restrictions yet with a resurface as I have two buddies who play on the hockey team regularily with me and that can put you into some pretty precarious positions. I plan on going over all that with the doctor at my follow up on the 17th.
  20. doctor_big

Oddometer:
    That sounds like fairly smooth sailing! Congratulations! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Jason