How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
  2. wmax351

wmax351 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    California has all sorts of bizarre DMV laws, and it still isn't a big deal here. We can get charged past registration for bikes that are disassembled and packed in boxes in a garage. But to get a title for an old, untitled bike (or car) is quite easy.

First, you go to the DMV with an "application for title" (I think it is form 137, iirc). Fill it out with the VIN, purchase price, etc. Pay the registration. They give you a 90 day temporary permit, and a form to take to the CHP for inspection. Bring the bike, car, or even just the frame and engine, and they verify the VIN. Supposedly any cop/leo can do this as well, but the CHP is convenient. You can ride it with the temporary permit, so you don't even need to tow it.

The CHP checks to see if the VIN is stolen, Salvaged, etc, and then fills out the form, which you take back to the DMV. They give you the plates, and the title comes 6 weeks later.
  3. MachOnePilot

MachOnePilot n00b

Oddometer:
    IT WORKED!! Just got my plate and sticker here in Florida from Vermont. Thanks to the forum for providing this info. Now to see if I can make it to step 2 and convert this Vermont registration to a Florida title. Bike I am now able to ride: 1979 CX500 Custom
  4. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    I used ITS title in 2008 when I needed a title for my EX500 in because I wanted to ride it sometime this decade and Indiana’s methods of obtaining a title could have taken years. At that time, they licensed it in Maine. I rode on that plate for a year (probably shouldn’t have) and then transferred it. I went to the BMV and they questioned it a bit and wanted to know why it was registered in Maine. I told them I had been pink-slipped by my school corp (true), lost my job (untrue), and took the clothes on my back and my trusty EX500 to Maine to become a deep-sea fisherman but found out I got seasick easily (also untrue). I was going to tell her I had contracted scurvy, but it was the same woman who once helped me get a new license after losing it on a cruise ship and I was sporting a "toothbrush"-style moustache for that. I didn't know if I could pull it off with a straight face.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    At the time, I paid $150-ish through ITS but it has evidently gone up over the past four years.<o:p></o:p>
  5. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Another satisfied customer! Thanks vermont.
  6. mcgrad96

mcgrad96 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am dying to find out if anyone eventually got a title in their name in their home state for their small street bike by plating it in Vermont and then transfering the plate and registration ONLY to their state. Let me know it if worked or NOT at mcgrad96@gmail.com. I just bought a 1982 Kawasaki AR80A with only 40 miles on it BUT not title! Thanks! Jimbo
  7. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    subscribed. :evil
  8. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    I just want to see pics of your AR80 :deal
  9. Furious E

Furious E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So in my attempt to get my 1973 CL175 registered and on the road, I sent in my application for registration along with a photocopy of the bill of sale I received at the time of purchase, along with the appropriate fees, to the VT DMV at the beginning of last week. I received a reply in the mail today stating

"There was a problem completing your request. Please provide verification that your motorcycle was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use. In order to register your motorcycle in Vermont, please provide a letter from a Vermont inspection station affirming that it meets Vermont highway standards."

Clearly anyone familiar with the Honda CLs knows that they were manufactured as a street bike, however it seems to me like they think I might be trying to register a dirt bike that I stuck some lights and signals on, which I know a lot of out-of-staters do through VT. Or that they want me to get it VT inspected before registration, which is contrary to my understanding of their rules.

Anyways, taking it to a VT inspection station is clearly impractical for me, as I live in south central PA. Has anyone else run into this issue? What about getting a letter from a PA inspection station? Or from a Honda dealership stating that the model was manufactured for street use? I just want to get this thing on the road and start RIDING already!
  10. mjydrafter

mjydrafter evil boy for life

Oddometer:
    Have you spoken with the PA DMV about this? When I got my bonded certificate of title here, the IA DMV said they would not accept this or the title services... So before you go through too much hassle, you may give them a ring.:deal
  11. Furious E

Furious E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually attempted to yesterday, mainly to see if there was actually some avenue I could go through with PA to get a title, however it was late in the day by that point and I was talking to the wrong people as it turns out. From what I had gleaned through my research on the interwebs, the VT thing seemed to be the path of least resistance, and, if worst came to worst, that would at least get me a plate on the thing. I guess I will give the Vermont DMV a call on Monday and see what they have to say. I figure there are a couple of possibilities here:

1) See if they would accept a letter from a PA inspection station
    2) Accept a letter from a Honda dealer stating that the bike was indeed manufactured for road use
    3) Convince them to google it and see for themselves what the CL is.
  12. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just filed for a plate today for my 71 RT360 street tracker. Plan to keep the Vermont plate until about December, then attempt to file for a Florida title. I have an undated, but signed, bill of sale. So, regardless, I will have another way around just in case.

Knew I'd like that state for something one day.
  13. BellyUpFish

BellyUpFish n00b

Oddometer:
    Gonna try this for Alabama soon..
  14. kz1000

kz1000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Will this work for a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90, trouble we're having is the original lien holder has no record in their system, the bike was towed back in 2007 and never claimed.
  15. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of trying this for my 1978 KZ750 that has no title. Colorado makes it a real pain in the butt to get a title. Hopefully this works! I've filled out the regular form and since mine was purchased privately it HAS to have a Visual VIN Inspection. The visual VIN is just to check and see if you have altered the VIN. The inspection doesn't have to be done by the state of Vermont either! Hopefully Ill be reporting back in a few weeks with a tag and registration. :clap
  16. deathforefox

deathforefox n00b

Oddometer:
    Vermont hasn't given anyone a hard time about not having Vermont drivers license, or out of state address?
  17. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanna give a little update. Got a letter back from Vermont DMV. Letter states that my registration fee was wrong. They changed it from $41 to $44. They sent back my application, vin verification, bill of sale, check and the letter with instructions. Re-sent everything out again today with the proper registration fee this time. Everything but the registration fee was marked ok, so, I should be good to go now. Fingers crossed. Will update when I hear back from Vermont DMV. Hopefully reporting that I have a registration and plates! :clap
  18. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, states right on the Vermont DMV website that you dont have to be a resident to register a bike there.
  19. luniz7

luniz7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little update here. Just received my Vermont plate and 1 year transferable registration application signed off yesterday. This was for a 78 KZ750. I plan on just rocking the VT plate until the end of the summer. Then I will start the process of trying to get a Colorado title. Anyways heres a photo for proof.

[​IMG]
  20. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    Nice. Pretty soon you'll get a sticker for that plate along with a real registration card (vs. the signed-off application they send back with the plate). That card'll get you a Colorado title.