The rehabilitation of Sir Gustave Sebastian & the Supertanker

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 22, 2010.

1. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
    If you disturbed the floats when adjusting, worth checking the little spring clip thing that connects float to float needle. If this is not correctly connected the float and needle don't stay in lock step and the fuel level can get low in the float bowl, leading to a miss or even fuel starvation..

Michael
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Triple bugger Nutso.
    Can we recap a minute.
    You have done the timing chain aye? - timing now spot on?
    You haven't changed the jets have you - just lowered & raised the needle?
    floats ok?
    Air leaks around the intake?
    choke returning properly? cable holders right way up?
    Valves all good?
    Would trialing an electronic ignition unit be a good idea to see if it's something electrical?

I've got my stuff at the machinists waiting. hopefully by next weekend I should have the engine back together.
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    feck that must be disheartening

a gallon of gas and a match will resolve the problems
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
  5. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checked, as well as float height, & also for crap in the needle jet. Idled fine, pulled well everywhere else, just had this issue at open road speed, when the throttle was initially rolled on. 100kms = 4200rpm. If you look at some dyno runs for modified R100GSs, this is where a flat spot occurs. Usually exhaust related.
    Yup, checked all of those. Don't think it was ignition related.

Given everything was back the way it was pre-exhaust swap, I've put it down to a change in exhaust dynamics caused by the weld intrusion. Given that the exhaust is scrap now, I guess we'll never know.
    Maybe you should have had the head skimmed 1.1mm to up the compression?
    Yup

So we've just had a big pork roast for dinner, with all the trimming, ostensibly to celebrate Fathers Day. But I've been left with the dishes. :huh Now we have a (nice new) dishwasher, so normally this isn't an issue. But Mandy seemingly has used every dish in the house, including a lot which either don't fit in the dishwasher, or can't be put through the dishwasher. Also there is about 1 & 1/2 loads to do.:rolleyes Is this a test? :dunno
  6. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    no

its revenge
  7. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You only turned around and went home cause you didn't want all the Cold Kiwi pictures taken of you to be of you disassembling Gus (again).

I'm starting to think you only go on rides so that you have new and interesting locations for your weekly rebuilds.
  8. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, it could be worse. At least Gus made it home under his own steam unlike Rosie's WR. If you ever find yourself wanting to ditch the old & cool adv bike for something new & reliable don't bother 'cos new probably won't be reliable either.:D

...unless you happen to find a nice low k's KTM 640 somewhere... oh, hang on...

:hide

Clint
  9. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    Box'a'Shites ride mission statement

"Its not about the destination,its about how many times I stop to fix it or if it makes it to destination.":rofl
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Worked on Gus this weekend, to resolve some of the recent issues.

The left fork leaked (again) on the way to the Cold Kiwi, after I tried to fix the prior leak with an All Balls seals with tightened springs. I wasn’t over optimistic, so wasn’t disappointed. Wasn’t a gusher, but…On the return trip I stopped at City Honda in Palmerston North, & purchased some OEM seals & dust seals (The 2005 YZ250F KYB fork has been used in the 2010 CRF range - mostly likely with valving changes).

Interesting to look at the differences between OEM & the All Balls seals. The new Honda seals are definitely less plastic looking & firmer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The dust seal on the All Balls kits seems to mimic an oil seal. The OEM Honda has a definite lip, then a cavity.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Given I was going to replace the seals, I decided to experiment with ride height. I took the 25 mm spacers out of each fork cartridge (I had been running a 50mm & 25mm in each), & put in a 25mm spacer below the (cutdown) springs, to bring total travel back from 225mm to 250mm. I haven’t ridden this combination yet, so we will see if turns a nicely turning bike into a truck. I think it’ll be fine.

Mandy's Yamaha Mint made the ultimate sacrifice & was cut up to provide the springs spacers. I guess that registration can come off restore now...:lol3. Yes, I know the cut wasn't particularly straight.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Unfortunately the right side bushes ‘galled’ when I was dismantling that fork leg, & whilst I have put it all back together, I will need to replace them at some stage (not with All Balls this time around). Getting good at working with these forks now.

I have put the Keihan 2 into 2 exhaust system back on. I’ve made a change to the needle jet (266, up from 264), but haven’t ridden it yet to see if this is better than it was on the MMMM. I had left the 266 jet at home when I went to the MMMM, & regretted it all of the way there & back.

Spent some time tidying the side stand Barrie made up for me. Just radiused off some corners, & took out some untidy bits that Barrie hadn’t gotten to. I will likely do some more work on that at a later date just to finish it off. But it has improved it's appearance. The extra height in the forks has also improved the lean angle slightly.

The replacement centrestand has been ditched again, but I am thinking of putting the cut up stand back on, in order to protect the exposed balance pipe.

Finally, I have made a medium term solution to the right side stripped out value cover stud - basically put a new stud through to just under the spark plug, put a new cut down nut in there, red locktite, & the jobs a good-un. This has allowed me to make a change - see if you can spot it. And yes, this was while the job was 1/2 done.

[​IMG]

What can I say - I enjoy tweaking Gus, & if I can't getting things working well, I'm not afraid to have a go at correcting the issue - but only if this isn't going to impact on everyone elses ride. Only broken down once (ICU). But I am conscious that too many photos of road side repair will give a certain reputation.
    Well I have to admit that when Taz mentioned he might sell the 640a, the thought did briefly cross my mind...
  11. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've fitted the (edit) right cylinder guard.

If the weathers fine next Sunday come and pull Gus apart on Ocean Beach.

FYI, there'll be a pizza night coming up sometime soon.
  12. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    no he has taken one off
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    MD reckons that 70 to 80 percent of ignition troubles is the icu
  14. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look closer
  15. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    look at the pic parked in front of bunnings :D
  16. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did, you still need to look closer
  17. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    I reckon half of all cylinder damage troubles is due to only having one engine bar.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Where does that put you with Schmidtty? You've taken them both off haven't you?
    Give that man a gold star....:freaky. Yup, finally fitted the Hardhead guards, & gotten rid of the crash-bars.
    Probably be there - but I've already committed to going to another Airhead event that weekend. We'll see how that goes, & what Mandy's tolerance levels are like.
  19. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
    :evil
  20. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about us that haven't been invited to any airhead rides - just go out & have lots of fun:cry