triumph tiger 800 - fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Mr noname, May 15, 2011.

1. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the first 5k of mostly pavement the average was an indicated 47 mpg. Getting close to 8k on the odometer and more of it dirt.... the indicated average has moved to 50 mpg. I haven't manually calculated actual mpg, but from what I read hear the pod mileage is 2-3 mpg low.

Easily over 200 to the tank with 50+ reserve........

Good to go!
  2. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Make sure your bike is reading US MPG. It doesn't necessarily default to US. If it doesn't say US then it's not...
  3. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checked......US MPG.

Does my indicated mileage seem off to you?

Trip 1 avg. mpg has dropped as low as 39 with the fuel light winking on at 165.....this bike is awesome when ridden hard in the paved twisted.....damn the TKC front, slows me down:wink:.
  4. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    What grade of fuel is everyone using? I have always put super in mine. Is there any MPG or performance difference when other grades are used?
  5. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Why?
  6. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it was recommended for the 1050 triple in my Sprint ST so I figured the 800 needed it as well. Am I wrong?
  7. andykeck

andykeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. The manual calls for 87.
  8. helotaxi

helotaxi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Runs great on regular. No need and no benefit to running anything more expensive that that. A quality I would rate higher than economy for a bike taken to out of the way places. I've been several places, even in the U.S. and Canada where anything other than 86 or 87 octane simply wasn't going to happen.
  9. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's very good to know.
    Thanks
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, regular gas. That's another of the reasons I selected the Tiger over the F800GS. :deal
  11. Marsh Tiger

Marsh Tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 on that
  12. burmbuster

burmbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. I definitely learned something today.
  13. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    IDK, Im steady at 41 mpg self calculated. But I run knobby tires all day everyday and I have a 52 tooth rear sprocket (2 higher than stock).
  14. wi_pilot

wi_pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a trip through the Rockies. Averaged 47-51mpg with very spirited driving up and down Bear Tooth Pass. My best tank was 59mpg driving through Yellowstone at 45mph. 240 miles on 4 gallons used. I've been very impressed with the mileage so far.
  15. Flying Dave

Flying Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am headed in that direction next week.:clap Trucking to Iowa from Nashville to meet up with a college bud and then we are headed to Yellowstone and back.

Whatcha flying in the avatar? Hawker?
  16. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the follow up is, I go to the gas station and fill up. It is up to the brim on slighly more than 4 gallons.:*sip*
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    More folks here should pay attention to the level of tune they are using, it's probably the most significant factor contributing to the wide range of mpg being reported here.

I HAD an early '12 XC, with the original tune, and was getting 43-25 mpg but but it was soooo lean it would offen stall. Sound familiar Leslie?? :evil

After installing and Arrow can/and revised Arrow tune (version #2 tune) mpg was 34-36. That was not good enough for me, sold the bike and now have a Tenere.

I'd like to see more information here from ya'll abou the level of tune and type of exhaust, along with the mpg info. ...... I'd like to add a 800 to my stable but need to get 42-25 mpg.

Regards, Paul
  18. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    '11 XC ABS, stock exhaust system, tune map 20635.

Getting right around 53-62 mpg depending upon amount of city/hwy.

To me, that's not only acceptable, it's great. I have never used anything other than regular 87 octane fuel.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    With all the evidence showing that the Arrow tune gives worse mpg why would you put on on your Tiger if mpg is important to you?

After 27 tanks with my '11 Roadie bought in Jan this year I am at an average of 56.4mpg. I load new tunes when available. Latest tune (20634 I think) and stock exhaust.
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    '12 roadie with ABS, stock everything. The lowest MPG I've so far gotten is both off road and high speed freeway (75MPH+). At those times, my mileage was still over 42 MPG.