2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    That's what I said! Wonder what the deal is...:huh
  2. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM brass have been watching this thread closely and decided that they would rather save production allocations for the rest of the world that wants it, so they have pulled all plans to sell it here... no point in feeding donkeys strawberries.

:D
  3. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Considering most of us already own an incredibly versatile adventure touring bike in the 9xx, and still love it... we are not the target audience for the 1190. We've already been exposed to the design capabilities of KTM and their bigger adventure bike experience.

The BMW, S10'rs and Tri 12'rs are the riders that should be flooding the markets with their near new bikes and jumping 1st in line for a new 1190. This bike makes perfect sense for them as a bridge to better mobility without sacrifice.

For the rest of us current 9xx owners, I think KTM knows what we all want, those of us wanting a serious design bump to our current platforms... Lighter, nimbler, faster, simpler.

KTM...slow to the gate... first to the flag.
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Or maybe their famously snatchy throttle behavior mixed with 150 HP and dualsport tires caused everyone to crash the test bikes? KTM then realized unleashing these portly moto GP bikes on skinny tires to a bunch of goobers was a really bad idea? :lol3
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    maybe they realized the suspension travel and ground clearance sucks :cry
  6. Bartek990

Bartek990 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting... no center stand for 1190 wow, typical for KLR but $15,000 bike?
    on the other site the steering damper is a nice addition. electronic or manual?
  7. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    uh... looks like it has a center stand to me

[​IMG]
  8. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes but this is R, the comparison table shows no center stand for the standarts
  9. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    +1. My first impressions of the new 1190 are that KTM's marketing department woke up and realised, "We're absolutely coining it in on our small capacity dirt bikes and will continue to do so, but there's another lucrative market segment we should be going after: The middle aged, middle class man who has watched The Long Way Round and wants a bike that people who know what they're doing can/will ride in the dirt, but which he himself will never even take down a gravel road." This looks to me like they are going right up against the GSA and GS1200.
  10. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    And I am flattered that KTM are making a bike just for me :D:D:D:D:D:D
  11. burgerking

burgerking echt bezopen

Oddometer:
    As many have said the target audience for the 1190 are GS/GSA riders, at BMW even the valve caps on tyres are optional so why give away anything for free if you can have them pay for it.:evil
  12. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Yep; nothing wrong with that. I have plenty of friends and have met plenty of good people who fall into that category.
    Similarly, the fact that most big GSes get driven that way does not in any way require a retaliatory youtube posting of someone jumping one onto rocks to prove they can. I know they can. Hell, even most of the F800GSes (my own stupidly oversized dirtbike weapon of choice) spend their life being babied on tarmac.

It's interesting to see KTM diverging from their single-minded focus in this way. What next, Husaberg make a Goldwing rival? :rofl
  13. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Tough crowd. Lol
  14. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it has less suspension travel :huh
    no doubt to suit more riders that are vertically challanged and the Latte crowd.

The engine should be better than the old LC8 :wink:

What weight is the 1190R :earcompared to the 990R.

Has the 1190R got ABS ?

Has the 1190R got traction control ?
  15. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keyboard Dakarists usually are :lol3
  16. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know looking at the bikes more carefully the 1190 adventure is aimed at the SM-T. 320mm radial brembos... 19/17 etc...
  17. sideup

sideup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1190 web page gone. ?
    I imagine the 1190 went to the same place that the 350 Freeride and electric Free ride models went. NOT AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.! KTM Corp. knows whats best for us yanks.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Meet me at the sandbox tomorrow and say that! :evil
  19. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    I was looking at buying a 990 but all that bodywork and weight was a turn off. So I looked at the 1190 online and it looks more like a dirt bike (and easier to work on) when I realized they already made what I was looking for and I bought a low mileage 950se for half the price of what a 1190 will cost. With a small windscreen and add some more fuel capacity I am done! What the hell do we need a bigger motor for?
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The street barge captains think they need 185 MPH top speed capabilities on their Trailwings! :lol3