I had to pick 'er up

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DudeClone, Apr 16, 2014.

1. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've picked a bike up and rode it out with a broken hand. You just do it :) It involved a decent amount of screaming and grunting.
  2. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    What bike is it? My old Ninja 500 was 440 wet, and that thing was easy to pick up. (First bike, so I dropped it quite a bit.) Granted, I was 26 or so when I got it, and only 33 now. I have dropped my FZ1 a couple of times in the driveway/gas station. It isn't that much more difficult to pick up, and it is about 510 wet.

Practice the technique, it makes a difference.

3. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this idea and think it'd solve my problem with the Tiger. Thanks. It's those first inches that are a bitch getting leverage on.
  4. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey there :wave

its a Yamaha FZ6. in all fairness to myself i don't think i gave it too much effort before i asked for help. first time dropping a bike and with traffic behind me and my bike on its side when the bike felt "too heavy" after a couple of feeble attempts i got myself some help. i didn't even try to get any leverage or a good grip on anything. next time it happens (if it does) i will be more prepared with where, what, and how to lift it properly. i am fairly strong, but as you said "practice the technique." however with none of that and a helmet, jacket, and a bike in the street it was just not happening :muutt

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, everyone. and stories of your own mishaps. if the bike ever tips again i will don my cape and the damn thing is gonna stand right back up!! :pynd
  5. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lift
  6. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do...
    Make sure the kick stand is DOWN if you are picking it up from the opposite side..

Not implying someone may have been dumb enough to pick up and then let the bike sail past vertical and right on the left side.....

:lol3
  7. Jamesx2

Jamesx2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dropped mine for the first time today In the garage. Slow motion loss of balance after putting one foot on the lawnmower. I was a tangled mess. No harm to the bike
  8. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    One other tip is to make sure that you jump up and pick up the bike while the adrenaline rush is still with you, makes it seem easy... :evil
  9. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also if this happens make sure you let go as soon as you realize what is going on, have not done this myself but have witnessed the outcome of the bike dragging a buddy over with it... Just adds insult in injury..

or injury to insult depending on the circumstances.. :deal
  10. Lep

Lep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AA, thanks for the description, it sounds like something I ought to make and carry. If you have any photos of the strap in action I'd like to see them.

The "I wouldn't ride a bike I can't pick up" crew may have to think again when they get older. I've downsized to a bike I can easily manage around the garage and into and out of parking spots but I doubt I could pick it up on my own without some form of mechanical assistance.

Picking up a bike by the handlebar as shown in the video is exactly how my local BMW dealer said he was trained to do at a BMW training school.
  11. LowInSlo

LowInSlo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll pipe up too. Age, yeah, but mostly a pretty bad back (car accident years ago) make me think about my trips and where I'll ride and when. I ride alone 99% of the time, so I'm aware I really shouldn't ride where I could easily get into trouble. Ticks me off to think this way, but I have to be honest with myself. Man's gotta know his limitations, is the way I've heard it said. My bike is low enough for me (I'm short) and fairly light (BMW F650 single) so my margin of error is greater than when I piloted the 1200GS.

So yes, some of us ride bikes we likely can't pick up. Life ain't necessarily what you say it is.
  12. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'm resurrecting this zombie thread...

I'm trying to figure where I stand on this debate of riding only what I can pick up on my own.

I just turned 50. I also just bought a Super Ténéré (3 months, 1200 miles ago). At 584 lbs wet, plus 65 pounds of luggage (empty), plus all the stuff in the luggage, plus some heavy duty crash bars, I'm probably near 700 lbs.

I can't safely pick the bike up on my own without the help of one of these bike lift things. There's a lot I like about the S10. I got it because i want to be comfortable putting in the freeway miles getting to the forrest service roads. That part's good. But I'm not so comfortable on those forrest service roads, so then it kind of defeats the purpose...

I'm feeling like the bike is too big for me. At the same time I feel like if I just give it more time, I'll settle into it more.

I'm also thinking about something closer to 500 pounds wet (Suzuki 800DE? Triumph Tiger 800 or newer 900?).

I'm also really becoming more acutely aware of my age and physical abilities...

Anyhow, just needed to think out loud. Happy to hear your thoughts / insights...
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will say simply that it's much easier to lift a bike up if you are riding with a friend who will help lift it. You also have the safety factor of someone to call or go for help if it is needed for a damaged bike or a damaged rider. If there's much risk of falling down I'd rather have a friend along. Fact is I prefer riding with someone when on the pavement too. But that is simply my preference, you figure yours.
  14. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can’t pick it up, you’re indeed in trouble. So yes, I agree with you, it’s probably too big and heavy a bike for you. So be it.

My big and heavy Road King will be going for the same reason. 10 years ago I was taller and my legs were stronger. Now, I struggle to manage the bike, and that’s not fun. Heck, honestly, I’m kinda intimidated by its heft and bulk now, and that’s not good. We fall over far more than we used to, and it’s become a struggle to get it upright. Especially when I’m on slippery surfaces or the bike is tipped over downhill.

So personally, I’m switching bikes. To something lower seated, and with a more manageable weight.
    BaileyMan likes this.
  15. Bitterroot Bugler

Bitterroot Bugler Bitterroot Bugler

Oddometer:
    Hmmm gotta be able to lift it by yourself is a tough sentence to accept for older riders. I'm sure trading my R1200 in on a model I can lift will add a few bucks to my checking account though.

child's bicycle.jpg
    strommonster and BaileyMan like this.
  16. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol. That is a sexy little beast right there.
  17. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but when my bike is laying on its side, the question of "how strong am I" goes out the window.
    It's amazing how strong you can get when your priority is "I don't think my friends saw that I dumped my bike yet. Quick, get it back up!"
    Respen and greasyfatman like this.
  18. Bitterroot Bugler

Bitterroot Bugler Bitterroot Bugler

Oddometer:
    A year ago, at a youthful 73, I imagined there was no choice but to pick Dr Zee up myself, so I did. My back was trashed for 6 months or more. There is more to lifting than mind-over-matter or brute force. The chassis has to handle the load as well.

From that story:
    ...This time I drug the front of the motorcycle around to aim the rude beast in the direction I wanted to go before lifting it up … again. Unfortunately, on this lift, just as I was cresting the heavy part, something in my lower back went *POP*. I still don’t know if I heard it, felt it, or both, but there definitely was a *POP*.

Twenty five miles from home with no aid or assistance in sight or within reach, I ignored the *POP*, completed the lift, and put the kickstand down...

https://www.bitterrootbugle.com/2022/09/19/creating-and-repairing-low-back-pain/
  19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I understand the emotional "need" to pick the bike right back up before anyone sees you, that's a darn good way to hurt yourself.

You tend to be a bit stunned, and really need a moment or two to settle yourself down and observe the situation. Then you go about it calmly and rationally. That way you probably will remember to deploy the kickstand, actually turn the bike off, put it in gear so it doesn't roll, etc.

Not a big deal with a little 250 dirt bike. But with a big adv bike and the like, you can really screw yourself up going all he-man.
    Respen and Gone in 60 like this.
  20. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beta 500 up a tooth with wind screen and fisher seat will do everything the ST will do and more off road.