Question regarding Dakar bikes - Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Mongo-, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mongo-

Mongo- n00b

Oddometer:
    I am a noob to the whole rally racing deal, but it interests me greatly. So please forgive me if this is a bad question. Why is it that there seems to be no one racing Kawasaki bikes in the Dakar rally? Do they just not lend themselves to endurance racing or are there reliability issues?
  2. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Well, there have been a few entries over the years, also 4 entries for the next edition. Main problem is Kawasaki has never been really interested in rally raid, so no official support. French and Italian importers did some effort in the past, best result was by Italian importer Guido Maletti (6th overall with a KLE500 in 1996 :eek1)
  3. Mongo-

Mongo- n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Gian. I would have thought they would have more interest since they are into most other dirt bike sports.
  4. Enduro10

Enduro10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Brazil we do have some pilots racing the 450 with champion results :evil
  5. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Argentinean importers of Kawasaki supports Diego Demelchiori.
    He is a good driver, not top but ok. He can get to top 25 , may be lower 20´s, or close to 18.
    Bike is locally prepared, and it is true, little Kits already developed.

Last year he finished late 60´s, but run Dakar after almost half a year with no riding due to a broken leg.
    last year Dakar Kawasaki Argentina had a stronger team including 2 more riders.

Team has some budget problms, he had to cancelPharaons rally as preparation, and decided not to tak part in national championship to keep all budget for Dakar, so things are though to achieve a good result, but there is some potential.
  6. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    The big part of it is support from the aftermarket. There is some for Honda, a bit more for Yamaha, and quite a bit for KTM, so invariably, people gravitate towards them because proven parts remove some the the variables out of the equation.
  7. Goofy1

Goofy1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Talked with a couple of Kawasaki engineers back in October. They have a keen eye on Dakar but don't presently have home office support. I'm sure that they will be watching intently.
  8. LUDO

LUDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer: